The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Fps lock related issue (Frame-pacing issue?)

Michiko_chan

I've noticed on my system that using the in-game fps limit introduces some issues when it comes to frametimes. When limiting to 144 or 120 fps the game runs fine, but if I limit the framerate to 72 or lower then frametimes become very inconsistent, possibly introducing visible stutter. The fps counters and such will display the right framerate but if I have a frametime graph up then it's clear that the frametimes are much more inconsistent at those lower fps limits, which could be a hassle for people who prefer to use fps limits of 60 or 30 for whatever reason. I can provide short clips if anyone desires them, but also tell me if I'm just missing something, because I'm no expert when it comes to these things.

I'm using a 144hz monitor, if that effects this sort of stuff a lot, though I tested this in other games with external fps limits (like MSI afturburner) and didn't find the same issue.

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g

GPU: GTX 1050

RAM: 18GB DDR4 3000mhz

Storage: 7200RPM 1TB HDD

I have similar issue. Since last patch my fps randomly locks to 60 or 30. I can suddenly go from 120 fps to 30 (or 60) just sitting in arsenal menu. During missions it becomes unplayable every 5 seconds. Tried different display settings, different frame limits, its no use. MSI Afterburner gpu load and gpu clock graphs look scuffed as well during suck locks. Again, I never had suck issue prior to last patch.BO3Jr4E.png

Edited by SupaBika

16 hours ago, SupaBika said:

I have similar issue.

That GPU core clock on the graph appears to be slowing down to 304 Mhz. 100% usage at a slow 304 Mhz is a lot slower then 80% usage at a fast 1200 Mhz. I wonder why this is happening? There might be a problem with some NVidia driver versions maybe.

18 hours ago, Michiko_chan said:

I'm using a 144hz monitor
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g GPU: GTX 1050

Freesync monitor?
With Ryzen G CPU, There is an option to go to Motherboard settings (DEL or a keyboard button on power up), set primary graphics to iGFX, enable Hybrid Graphics, and plug monitors into integrated graphics. If using NVidia graphics card, make sure both NVidia and AMD graphics driver software is installed. This enables Switchable graphics (Nvidia rendered picture through integrated graphics output) and may make v-sync work better, at least V-Sync does work better for me.

I use Ryzen 2400g, AMD Rx 580, Asus B450-F, Motherboard settings have Primary graphics is iGPU, HybridGraphics enabled, UMA Buffer size for integrated graphics set to 128 MB. 144 Hz 1080p FreeSync plugged into integrated graphics using HDMI and FreeSync works. No problems with switchable graphics. Video of me switching graphics and my AMD graphics card staying at high MHz speed until game closes: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/450586530

В 10.07.2019 в 01:49, Michiko_chan сказал:

Interesting. I know Vsync works really poorly for most people, do you possibly have Vsync enabled? For me the game becomes a stuttery mess with Vsync enabled, but I've never had it lock my framerates for no reason.

Thanks, after turning Vsync off I got 60 FPS and more. I noticed that "Vsync FPS" began dropping noticeably only in cases where my "real FPS" got below 60 (plains of Eidolon, orb Vallis, some weapons and effects)

On 2019-07-09 at 7:59 PM, sam686 said:

Freesync monitor?
With Ryzen G CPU, There is an option to go to Motherboard settings (DEL or a keyboard button on power up), set primary graphics to iGFX, enable Hybrid Graphics, and plug monitors into integrated graphics. If using NVidia graphics card, make sure both NVidia and AMD graphics driver software is installed. This enables Switchable graphics (Nvidia rendered picture through integrated graphics output) and may make v-sync work better, at least V-Sync does work better for me.

I don't have a freesync monitor and I don't use the integrated graphics, my monitor is always plugged into my graphics card. Didn't know there was a way to render the Nvidia graphics through the integrated graphics, but that sounds kinda weird, why would it make the V-Sync better? I've only ever had issues with Warframe's V-Sync anyway and I don't choose to use V-Sync even on games that it does work well on.

1 hour ago, Michiko_chan said:

Didn't know there was a way to render the Nvidia graphics through the integrated graphics, but that sounds kinda weird, why would it make the V-Sync better?

Double buffer v-sync, FPS may abruptly cut in half of refresh rate.
Triple buffer v-sync, FPS can go gradually down slightly less less then refresh rate. Sadly, Warframe do not have the option to enable triple buffer.

Can google search the internet for more information. https://www.google.com/search?q=triple+buffering+vsync

Switchable graphics kind of behaves like triple buffer and V-Sync does not have the abrupt FPS cut in half problem. 2 buffers in integrated graphics plus 1 more on graphics card, due to the need to transfer buffer from 1 GPU to another. Most laptops with dedicated graphics card already do some form of switchable graphics, where the displays is wired to integrated graphics only.