The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Legendary Weapons

-WARP-Huntress

I hate to say it, but while the idea of making "legendary" named weapons is good, this proposal goes about it in the wrong way.

If it was implemented, everyone would use the damage or multishot mods as the "free" mod, which would defeat the entire purpose.

The idea of weapon "Auras" is a good one, but using regular mods for it is a bad idea.

The idea sounds strange, but not bad. Esspacially NAMING a weapon could be fun.

My additions to this idea are (do not know if they have already been said): 

-you do not have to name it/ the name it already has becomes "legendary"

-the mod slot after the 10th forma is a "neutral" "standard" mod slot, means you can pull in and out what you want; anytime (with the normal cost of points of course. But with the original 8 slots formated... should this cost be no problem ;P).

The last point is because some mods take a (too) long time to be max or cost a hell lot of credits (or both) and thus it would no option, in my opinion, to put them in (especially rare mods or mods with +7 ranks (except commen mods..)). Additionally it is the 10th forma, TEN, I already paid for this slot.

@thread opener

GREAT IDEA
Would like too see this. (aslo for frames :D)

With no limits.

If you forma your weapon 50 times you SHOULD HAVE GREAT Power.

I would go even further and allow to add the same mod again. (if not there would be a limit : there are only a limit ammount of different mods)

Edited by Chupachab

I remember reading this thread all those months back and thinking, "Wow, what a terrible idea!"

The new year has not made this idea less terrible. Why add more grinding and power creep to a game that's already RIDDLED with it?

Damn, didn't even realise I necro'd it. Sorry :3

I am surprisingly glad you necro'd it. This is kind of a cool idea depending on how it would be handeled and I would like to see more discussion on it.While I think the idea is a cool one to be sure I feel that the way its being described could use work to prevent the blatant overpowering of weapons. I mean if you wanted to make it simple, why not make it so that when you make a weapon 'legendary' you instead get to pick one of a few pre-determined buffs to add to it? It could be something really minuscule even. To stick with the original example of a legendary skana, the choices could be as follows.

+10% damage to Grineer

+10% damage to Corpus

+10% damage to infested

+10% Attack speed 

+5% Charge damage

With Improvements this small it would even be possible to consider the idea of doing the process multiple times (without being able to choose the same option twice of course)

Edited by Chaz_Darkbane

I am surprisingly glad you necro'd it. This is kind of a cool idea depending on how it would be handeled and I would like to see more discussion on it.While I think the idea is a cool one to be sure I feel that the way its being described could use work to prevent the blatant overpowering of weapons. I mean if you wanted to make it simple, why not make it so that when you make a weapon 'legendary' you instead get to pick one of a few pre-determined buffs to add to it? It could be something really minuscule even. To stick with the original example of a legendary skana, the choices could be as follows.

+10% damage to Grineer

+10% damage to Corpus

+10% damage to infested

+10% Attack speed 

+5% Charge damage

With Improvements this small it would even be possible to consider the idea of doing the process multiple times (without being able to choose the same option twice of course)

This is a viable way of adding bonuses to a Legendary Weapon - nicely done.

My suggestion is to require that the weapon first have a Catalyst installed. If one is, then a player can use a Forma to not polarize a slot, but to "Attune" the weapon to themselves - which would also reset the weapon back to Unranked, but it would now have a passive, player-chosen bonus, as well as a name, both chosen by that player.

As for the bonuses to choose from, here are my suggestions (keeping with your suggestion of only allowing a specific upgrade option once per weapon):

- Accuracy bonus of +5%

- Fire Rate / Charge Speed / Attack Speed bonus of +5%

- Damage bonus to Grineer/Infested/Corpus of +5%

- Scope zoom bonus of +5%

- Critical rate increased by +5%

- Critical damage increased by +5%

- Reload speed bonus of +10%

- Weapon switch speed of +5%

Old weapons suck now no offence but my beloved orthos.. my orthos prime feels worthless now before dmg 2.0 came i've killed over 45,000 with orthos now i feel its junk aiming hit rate, dmg everything is messed up personally i loved the old thing very much, so about legendry weapons of old is pretty much junk infront of the futur tech incoming

Really good idea but now people can see your weapons name only in the lobby and justifying a whole forma for a quick giggle at a clever name change  in the lobby isnt worth it. or maybe something like clicking a button over the playing in game to view items like in tf2.yes i played tf2 please dont judge me

This is a viable way of adding bonuses to a Legendary Weapon - nicely done.

My suggestion is to require that the weapon first have a Catalyst installed. If one is, then a player can use a Forma to not polarize a slot, but to "Attune" the weapon to themselves - which would also reset the weapon back to Unranked, but it would now have a passive, player-chosen bonus, as well as a name, both chosen by that player.

As for the bonuses to choose from, here are my suggestions (keeping with your suggestion of only allowing a specific upgrade option once per weapon):

- Accuracy bonus of +5%

- Fire Rate / Charge Speed / Attack Speed bonus of +5%

- Damage bonus to Grineer/Infested/Corpus of +5%

- Scope zoom bonus of +5%

- Critical rate increased by +5%

- Critical damage increased by +5%

- Reload speed bonus of +10%

- Weapon switch speed of +5%

I'm assuming when you say Crit rate increase by 5% that would change the base crit rate? So like the dread would go from 20% to 25% unmodded?

I'm assuming when you say Crit rate increase by 5% that would change the base crit rate? So like the dread would go from 20% to 25% unmodded?

Correct. This would allow you to add some crit rate to weapons that don't really have it now, but since you can't pick this option more than once, it wouldn't end up being unbalancing, even on weapons like the Vectis or Soma.

EDIT: Forgot about the Crit-Monster that is the Synapse, but even with the Synapse, a base crit rate increase of 5% wouldn't make it really unbalanced compared to other weapons, given that the same options would be available for each.

Edited by rhoenix

The problem with this is that it holds back people from trying new weapons which is kind of the point of warframe along with an income source of DE, indirectly. Also, if damage changes again, you're screwed in the sense that you might need to change elements. Another thing, this just like forma'ing because reasons, after a while you just don't need it, you're just doing it because. 

Some weapons (snipers) are harder to level so many, many people will have a legendary soma where as near to nobody will have a legendary lanka. 

I like the intention, don't like the implementation. 

The problem with this is that it holds back people from trying new weapons which is kind of the point of warframe along with an income source of DE, indirectly. Also, if damage changes again, you're screwed in the sense that you might need to change elements. Another thing, this just like forma'ing because reasons, after a while you just don't need it, you're just doing it because. 

Some weapons (snipers) are harder to level so many, many people will have a legendary soma where as near to nobody will have a legendary lanka. 

I like the intention, don't like the implementation.

I can see your objection, but if implemented, resetting a weapon wouldn't add any Mastery Points toward your next Mastery Rank.

A newer player could eagerly do this to the Braton, but still have to get other weapons in order to raise mastery rank - and in the process, they'll probably find a weapon or two that they like just as much, if not more, than the good old Braton.

Wouldn't those "new weps" become even stronger as people forma and polarize that weapon as well? (read: power creep)

Yes but this means that the old weapons are still viable options in the end game and there is finally a purpose to use forma outside of clan weapons. I play off and on and I have never found a reason to put forma into any of my weapons no matter how much I love them. This would give me reasons to continue playing the game one thing. I do agree with this becoming a bit powerful though but also remember how long it can take to level up a weapon high enough to forma it. It can take a couple of days if your not no lifeing and even then its 10 times before it becomes powerful. The new weps would eventually outclass the old ones but that doesn't mean that DE can't buff those eventually. Also a lot of weapons end up feeling the same by the end of the day especially when you aren't getting down to the bare bones stats. Melee weapons at base do about 45-55 damage and pistols do about 15-40 damage per shot or so. I'll leave out primary because thats where the most variety is though. Ignis would benefit differentely from Gorgon, and gorgon would benefit differentely from lanka and so on and so forth.