Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"When killed the Rift Surge is transferred to a nearby enemy outside the rift..."

(NSW)Q.Mulative

Question

3 answers to this question

When cast, all enemies near Limbo that are in the Rift get Surged. When those enemies leave the Rift through any means (ie Banished out, Cataclysm ends or shrinks past them), then they do a radial Banish that pulls any enemies near them into the Rift. When a Surged enemy is killed nearby enemies in the normal world get Surged, so when they next leave the Rift they release a radial Banish as before.

It can be used to keep more enemies in the Rift while Stasis/Cataclysm is up, as enemies get killed or leave the Rift via the bubble shrinking past them, it pulls more enemies in instead of you having to recast Cataclysm/Banish and leaving yourself vulnerable.

It looks like if you banish an enemy to the rift, surge them and kill them, you still have to leave the rift to bring more enemies in, unless killing a surged enemy in the rift sends them out of the rift, then performs a radial banish, then surges all the newly banished enemies.

Transferring the surge to an enemy outside the rift effectively does nothing.

On 2019-11-05 at 8:56 PM, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

It looks like if you banish an enemy to the rift, surge them and kill them, you still have to leave the rift to bring more enemies in, unless killing a surged enemy in the rift sends them out of the rift, then performs a radial banish, then surges all the newly banished enemies.

Transferring the surge to an enemy outside the rift effectively does nothing.

I spent the past 20 minutes or so writing out a "yeah, I don't get this either" post, but I think I may have figured out what the idea is supposed to be during that process.

So if the "trick" with Limbo is...

1. Knock enemy into the rift plane
  2. Surge them
  3. Enter the rift plane
  4. Knock them back out of the rift plane
  5. Rift surge effect triggers, which pulls them and anyone standing nearby back into the rift plane
  6. Recast surge
  7. Go to step 4

Then the secondary effect of rift surge is a way to recover when the chain breaks. Every time an enemy body crosses between the planes, they take damage. So over the course of ping-ponging these guys back and forth between dimensions, some of them will die. But when they do, they surge nearby enemies in the material plane. And this means that if you pull them into the rift plane by un-banishing somebody else, you can skip step 6.

I haven't had too much luck with that in practice, but theoretically it could work out smoothly like that.

• Like 1