The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe crashes my graphics card drivers a few minutes after starting the game.

DarthSatoris

I've had this problem for quite a while now, but I've managed to get by with old drivers for a while, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

Basically, here's what going on:

I run an AMD Radeon VII graphics card, one of the biggest cards on the market. I also bought it brand new, and it works flawlessly.

Lately however, after the AMD Radeon Adrenaline graphics drivers from August or September update rolled around, I have had this pervasive and frustrating issue with the game crashing a mere minute or two into the game after opening it. The screen goes pitch black, the monitors shut down momentarily, the screens come back on again, but now my browser windows show nothing but a white window, my graphics driver control panel is unresponsive and Warframe is permanently minimized with no way of getting the image back. I am forced to Alt+F4 out of the game and restart the PC if I want to play anything else, because the graphics drivers have crashed.

This is a behavior that is WHOLLY unique to Warframe. Literally no other game I have played (and I play a fair amount) does this. For Honor, which is a very graphically demanding game, runs smooth as butter for hours on end with no issue. Apex Legends, same deal. Prey, same deal, Destiny 2, same deal.

I've tried underclocking my graphics card with the Wattman settings in the drivers, but not only does this not help, it actually makes it WORSE, because it I do that, it doesn't just crash my drivers, it crashes my whole computer.

I read somewhere else that you can see an error log in the Appdata folder on Windows called "ee.log", which I did, and here are some of the last few lines before the last time my computer crashed:

124.093 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
124.093 Gfx [Error]: Present returned DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
124.098 Sys [Error]: DisableTextureStreaming 1
124.100 Sys [Info]: Texture streaming NORMAL -> DISABLED [Heap: 1,173,027,408/1,174,732,800 Footprint: 2,833,690,624 Handles: 987]

I would like to know what the hell is going on with Warframe, and whether or not there's a fix for this outside of rolling back to an ancient graphics driver.

Also, whether or not DE are aware of this bug and whether or not they're working on a fix.

Because as it stands right now, the game is literally impossible to play for me.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the exact same crash I'm experiencing as well. It doesn't crash my whole system but will CTD with a popup to warframe's troubleshooting page.

System hardware specifications:

• Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB GDDR5 Special Edition
  • Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Smart Zero (modular)
  • ASUS B450 (Prime B450M-A/CSM)
  • Ryzen 5 2600 wtih Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
  • Samsung M.2 NVMe 256GB SSD (OS only)
  • Corsair Barracuda Pro 10TB HDD
Edited by GenteelFish
included system storage

So, after talking to support and sending in my logs they mentioned that the crash I had was typically related to Razer peripherals/drivers. I have a Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset but never used any of their software (and it's a 3.5mm jack headset so no drivers required). There was a mention that Synapse 3 fixed the issues, so I installed it anyway and then uninstalled it.

Well, it seems to have fixed my issue oddly enough. I have been playing on DX11 (with all settings maxed) again for over an hour (previously it would crash in less than a minute in any mission).

I did also turn on the Optimized Flip-Model in the Display options at some point as well, and I think I tested that on DX11 before doing all this but I'm not 100% so maybe also try that.

Decided to give this a try just for fun; never had a razer product or software installed. Didn't help so it's not that lol. If I could get past the login screen (turns out reinstalling windows somehow just made it completely unstable RIP) I'd give the flip-model a shot.

4 hours ago, GenteelFish said:

If I could get past the login screen (turns out reinstalling windows somehow just made it completely unstable RIP) I'd give the flip-model a shot.

EE.cfg

Graphics.EnableSwapChainFlipModel=1

This option is limited to windows 10. More from 26.0.5 update. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1139999-the-old-blood-hotfix-2605/

EE.log might show something more specific on what caused the error.
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG?
Storage read errors? Try launcher settings, verify download.

EE.log and EE.cfg are located in: %localappdata%\Warframe
Just put that in to the file address location, press enter, and it should be shown.

Edited by sam686
File location of ee.log ee.cfg

Managed to get a (so-far) stable setting. I tuned my Radeon Wattman settings down, setting core clockspeed to -50% (on auto setting) and ramped up fan speeds. Haven't had a crash over multiple days where I'd usually get one at least. In talks with a support ticket and I need to set aside some time to run some stress tests.

Without more information, I'm guessing it's a voltage issue which is weird considering my PSU should be more than strong enough to handle the load. Maybe it's the surge protector. The power strip I was using before this one was just a strip without surge protection so who knows.