Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe] Himiko, The Void Channeler (Changed The Gender)

ErudiusNacht

Eh could well be. Honestly, I'll admit my heart does greatly desire Reflex Guard :P I am seeking it, seeking it... all my thought is bent on it. But the game is like "DE, he must never find it." (LOTR quotes ftw)

I want to make a auto-block Trin build. Mightn't be all the good but it sure would amuse the heck out of me to fight Vor like that. Reflex Guard, Parry, maybe shield flux to get me some additional stamina... and of course reflection to turn back the damage even more than Link already does ^-^ Add in a Blessing, if I have the energy, and even the little bit of damage that gets through link is negated. Now, i just need them to fix the damage outputs. Currently, I'm pretty sure you don't actually reflect as much damage as it says, cause I'm pretty sure 80% of a level 60+ moa's damage is higher than 18....

You want Reflex Guard? Got tons of it from Apollodorus (Mercury) survival. it usually comes out as a 10 minute reward. I already have mine at rank9 with rank10 at 60% progress. Going to put it on my FP since it has two  "D slots" and a "- slot" for stamina. Coupled with my max vitality, redirection and vigor, I intend to melee all day. But then again, Project Zanuka comes along...

Honestly bro, just go on Apollodorus, I'll trade you Plat for nothing if you don't get one there.

P.S.

I often get Parry from Cassini (Saturn) survival. Lots of Orokin cells to boot.

Just so you know, I am living in Japan atm, graduated in Japanese culture and Japanese language, so thank you but I know what those terms are. Anyway, have fun.

My point was that, Tenno, or Yamato, Excalibur, Vauban or whatever the nationality of the name is, we are playing a ninja game.

I meant no disrespect towards you nor the Nipponjin, but I believe that the term ninja has evolved to be a world-wide phenomenon and a major part of this generation's pop culture, and that putting in a Japanese name like Yamato hardly matters.

Domo Arigato, sosh1te amarini mo jibun o tanoshimi kudasai.

Edited by ErudiusNacht

Well, if I had to make a brief explanation, while the Tenno is the emperor and sure influenced the Nationalism in Japan during the Meiji period and WWII, becoming later a more pacifist figure, the term Yamato itself is largely used to represent the Nationalism conscience in Japan. "Yamato damashi" for example, meaning "Japanese spirit", is an idea of the prevalence of the Japanese state and people, or the "Japanese race" if you will. It's a term that reflects the "true Japanese things" against the "outside influences". And it could offend some people in Asia. While for you and me, or Japanese people, it could be seen as harmless, it could be seen as using a German term such as Wehrmacht for European or Jewish people (I deliberately chose a military word as "Yamato" was also used by the military forces).

My comment was rather harsh, mainly because I am kind of tired to see people using Japanese words because they are influenced by their mass culture. Besides, you have plenty of cool Japanese names or words that you could use for your concept. And atm, Warframes don't use Japanese terms anyway.

Edited by matto

Well, if I had to make a brief explanation, while the Tenno is the emperor and sure influenced the Nationalism in Japan during the Meiji period and WWII, becoming later a more pacifist figure, the term Yamato itself is largely used to represent the Nationalism conscience in Japan. "Yamato damashi" for example, meaning "Japanese spirit", is an idea of the prevalence of the Japanese state and people, or the "Japanese race" if you will. It's a term that reflects the "true Japanese things" against the "outside influences". And it could offend some people in Asia. While for you and me, or Japanese people, it could be seen as harmless, it could be seen as using a German term such as Wehrmacht for European or Jewish people (I deliberately chose a military word as "Yamato" was also used by the military forces).

My comment was rather harsh, mainly because I am kind of tired to see people using Japanese words because they are influenced by their mass culture. Besides, you have plenty of cool Japanese names or words that you could use for your concept. And atm, Warframes don't use Japanese terms anyway.

I concede to you, my good sir. Your argument does undermine my own.

I actually agree with you that the game, although as ninjas donning the name "Tenno", does not implement Japanese games. Besides the name Tenno, Orokin, Kunai, Hikou, amongst others, any other addition is western. I do not even remember any Korean, Thai, or Hindu names implemented.

I therefore ask you sincerely, to help me rename the frame so that it's nature as a void channeler that uses the Imperial Regalia is retained. Maybe Shisai or Soryo? I was actually gunning for a kitsune noh mask for the helmet, so maybe Inari can be used since kitsune's are messengers of the gods.

Thank you.

Edited by ErudiusNacht

I concede to you, my good sir. Your argument does undermine my own.

I actually agree with you that the game, although as ninjas donning the name "Tenno", does not implement Japanese games. Besides the name Tenno, Orokin, Kunai, Hikou, amongst others, any other addition is western. I do not even remember any Korean, Thai, or Hindu names implemented.

I therefore ask you sincerely, to help me rename the frame so that it's nature as a void channeler that uses the Imperial Regalia is retained. Maybe Shisai or Soryo? I was actually gunning for a kitsune noh mask for the helmet, so maybe Inari can be used since kitsune's are messengers of the gods.

Thank you.

One Hindu name is Lanka. Technically, its the name of a geographical location. But in Hindu scriptures, Sri Lanka was called Lanka, and was home to an evil king. 

Considering your theme :

Jimmu (first emperor, but it's more a myth than a fact)

Susanoo (brother of Amaterasu)

Okimi (honorific term for "great king")

You are very consistent with this frame and the name you choose. You could take a look at the Emperor list of Japan, some have great names. Some famous samurai could be ok too since it's a melee frame.

You stated on another post that you Warframe is more like a "monk", right?

How about "Kukai" (considering the u as a long u)

It's the founder of the Shingon buddhist sect (known as Kobo-Daishi). I went to Koya-san in August, which is the headquarters of the Shingon sect.

This sect is also known to be quite mystical.

Plus, if you play with Kanji, 空海 ("kûkai", Kobo-Daishi's name) can be turned in 空械, which could mean "machine of the Void".

Edited by matto

One Hindu name is Lanka. Technically, its the name of a geographical location. But in Hindu scriptures, Sri Lanka was called Lanka, and was home to an evil king. 

Thank you for the notion. Duly noted.

Considering your theme :

Jimmu (first emperor, but it's more a myth than a fact)

Susanoo (brother of Amaterasu)

Okimi (honorific term for "great king")

You are very consistent with this frame and the name you choose. You could take a look at the Emperor list of Japan, some have great names. Some famous samurai could be ok too since it's a melee frame.

Jimmu Tenno is actually quite good, but he was more renowned as an archer if I remember. Plus players would just confuse it with the Romaji of Jim.

I was actually looking for something that had some connection with the gods, hence the use of the Imperial Regalia, but not really an actual god like Susanoo. It would also conflict with him using the mirror.

Okimi, hmm, great too. I'll take that into consideration. But the thing I'm striving for is the humility and discipline of a servant of the gods.

You stated on another post that you Warframe is more like a "monk", right?

How about "Kukai" (considering the u as a long u)

It's the founder of the Shingon buddhist sect (known as Kobo-Daishi). I went to Koya-san in August, which is the headquarters of the Shingon sect.

This sect is also known to be quite mystical.

Plus, if you play with Kanji, 空海 (Kobo-Daishi's name) can be turned in 空械, which could mean "machine of the Void".

This actually, fits him best IMO. I pictured the frame to be able to channel energies through physical and mental discipline. This frame more or less was "Benkei" in my mind initially, but I toned him down for him to be both gentle and benign looking.

Thanks for the input! I'll try to check that list of names you mentioned earlier. Another name, the one I mentioned earlier, Inari was my secondary option back then, or basically was the name of the alternate helmet. Could please give that some thought also? Thanks!

Inari is sure a powerful deity. It is feared, even today. Going to a shrine dedicated to Inari is always a mystical experience for Japanese people. My gf always tells me Inari is "kowai". Its ability to turn into a monk to scare people and punish them could fit with your lore, being a shinto deity, it could be related to the imperial symbols you're using as they are shinto symbols. It's less consistent though, and this theme is largely covered in anime and manga, which doesn't make it that much original. But it's a nice figure that, myself, really appreciate (my favorite shrines are dedicated to Inari, or some deities from the mountains). It's funny because it's also linked to the Shingon sect I was talking about earlier (being used as a Shinto guardian). But Inari would be more like a disguise master, and not a melee frame.

You know, this frame will never be implemented to Warframe, so you could keep Yamato if you feel like it fits more. I just thought you were one of those guys who just use Japanese names without knowing much about them. But it was nice talking to you.

EDIT : fun fact, I went to Sumiyoshi taisha in Osaka, and inside this shrine there is another small shrine dedicated to Inari. Except that, instead of being a fox (kitsune), it's a cat (neko).

Edited by matto

Inari is sure a powerful deity. It is feared, even today. Going to a shrine dedicated to Inari is always a mystical experience for Japanese people. My gf always tells me Inari is "kowai". Its ability to turn into a monk to scare people and punish them could fit with your lore, being a shinto deity, it could be related to the imperial symbols you're using as they are shinto symbols. It's less consistent though, and this theme is largely covered in anime and manga, which doesn't make it that much original. But it's a nice figure that, myself, really appreciate (my favorite shrines are dedicated to Inari, or some deities from the mountains). It's funny because it's also linked to the Shingon sect I was talking about earlier (being used as a Shinto guardian). But Inari would be more like a disguise master, and not a melee frame.

You know, this frame will never be implemented to Warframe, so you could keep Yamato if you feel like it fits more. I just thought you were one of those guys who just use Japanese names without knowing much about them. But it was nice talking to you.

EDIT : fun fact, I went to Sumiyoshi taisha in Osaka, and inside this shrine there is another small shrine dedicated to Inari. Except that, instead of being a fox (kitsune), it's a cat (neko).

Yeah, Inari Okami is really one my favorites too. He was benevolent and impartial, and often took other forms to help or punish people. Most the uninformed players / manga readers would just go "I wanna be Susanoo, he's strong!", "I want to be Tsukoyomi and be mysterious-like". Hearing them talk or post like that really makes me shake my head. I'm a writer who specializes in myths, especially greek, but I do my research.

Much of the frames here in the concept forum never get implemented. It's true. But it helps to stem off the boredom if you're already 600+ hours into the game. Plus there's always a chance that they might look into it.

A neko?! NEKO?! Well, Inari was once represented before as a spider, so I shouldn't be surprised. But that could also play as an alternative helmet. The Original helmet concept I abandoned because somebody already made an Oni Frame that had my initial idea. I had requested to the artist himself to make a kitsune mask. Having a neko alternate mask would be nice (instead of a spider, ewww).

EDIT: By the way, I did say that I was a writer right? I humbly invite you to read my Light Novels about the background of the story. The stories are still rough but I'm now working on Chapter 6. After I complete Chapter 7, I'll rewrite it with dialogue.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/116120-warframe-origins-a-light-novel-updates-weekly-10212013-chapter-5-is-up/

Edited by ErudiusNacht

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all for balancing the male vs female aspect ratio of the frames... that's why me and Vangaurd's Hawk changed to a gal, for one. Are you restructuring abilities at all, to fit a priestess archetype of play?

I am considering that. Although There have been depictions of maiden wielding the imperial regalia, I think a priestess frame can do well also. If I do make a priestess frame, with differing abilities, then I guess that's a new frame altogether.

I'd like to do a Kekkaishi type of frame and am thinking making it female altogether. But for the Void Channeler concept, I want to retain the Imperial Regalia as Energy summons.