The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Crashes

maumastoks

This only started occurring after 26.0.7 update.

Problem: game crashes and forces an entire system crash + reboot.

Details: this happens randomly but usually very quickly after login. It doesn't matter if I just stand or enter menus or move around or even (if I'm fortunate to last long enough) enter a mission. Suddenly just a reboot of the system. Tried fiddling with setting dropping down to 1080p medium but it crashed when trying to save settings.

System is stable for all other applications, including graphics-heavy.

Updated graphics drivers just in case, also updated Windows, still to no avail. So the game caused system crashes both prior and after the updates.

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580

Graphics drivers version: 19.9.2 (prior to update), 19.11.2 (after update)

Windows version: 1903 (prior to update), 1909 (after update)

GPU temperature is low even right after crash, peaking at 47C only.

The problem can be anything. https://www.warframe.com/hardwarefail

Maybe turn off BSOD automatic restart, might help the next time computer crashes. https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+off+BSOD+automatic+restart

Try windows check storage drive for errors and Warframe launcher verify download. The problem might be system storage trying to read specific game files, fails by killing off access to C drive and Windows crashes unable to read or write to drive C.

Maybe move Warframe game files to a different storage drive.

Does anything put a stop to your crashes?

I highly doubt it's a hardware failure - was running absolutely flawlessly on High 4K DX11 26.0.6 version, then hotfix into 26.0.7 and boom warframe is utterly unplayable even at 1080p Medium - absolutely nothing leads up the the system crash. It just happens instantly without warning, without any heavy loads or whatever.

Will try verifying download cache once I'm back home.

Only my C drive is SSD, so I'd rather not migrate game files anywhere else, especially when all other applications are running fine, including windows.

Another option would be to cleanly reinstall wf, if file verification does nothing.

It would be lovely if someone from DE would pick up on this instead of utter silence.

Maybe drop your GPU speed all the way down to 600 MHz or less, then press "Apply". Does this stop your crashes?
More information about Wattsman. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-020

I have my AMD Rx 580 XFX GPU core set to 600,900,1000,1100,1150,1200,1250 MHz, and somewhat reduced voltages to 900mV (HWinfo shows 0.98 V while in a max GPU usage). For me, this is to avoid overheat freeze or reset problems at 89 C, requiring power cycle to recover.

About my computer that works fine:
I use windows 10 1809, old version, hated 1903 due to broken gamma, broken night mode, and sometimes windows boot to a strange messed up colors. I might give windows 1909 a try in 1 day or whenever it feels like it is ready to give windows update to me. Ryzen 2400g, 32 GB RAM at 2933 MT/s, AMD Rx 580 (top PCI-E), NVidia GT 1030 (bottom PCI-E), Asus B450-F with "HybridGraphics" enabled, monitors plugged into integrated graphics, using either fast Rx 580 or energy efficient NVidia GT 1030 for game rendering. When I update to Windows 10 1909, i may reply to see how well Warframe works on it or if this might be a windows 10 1909 problem.

12 hours ago, maumastoks said:

Okay this is likely not wf-related. System crashed while just browsing google maps, will need to investigate this myself.

Good to know. Web browsers use some GPU so maybe the graphics card might still be the problem, or anything like bad RAM, poor connections, failing PSU, or anything.

My windows 10 1909 update, AMD update, and AMD Rx 580 core clocked down to 1250 Mhz to avoid overheat problems, worked fine for me for more then 4 hours.

My AMD Rx 580 and Ryzen 2400g Vega 11 are now on 19.11.3, driver package 19.30.31.18-191115a1-348851E, at the time of this reply. Works fine for me.

Did a bet and got myself a new PSU before checking graphics card in warranty. My bet was correct - everything runs fine again now. Checked the old PSU but none of the capacitor caps seem to be popped. Guess it's time to let this oldie rest.

Issue resolved.