Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

RX 5700 XT - Stuttering at 1440p on new monitor

Sebastianx

Anyone has any idea why my game stutters every 5-10 seconds for like 1-2 seconds even though FPS sits at 60 at all times? Feels like FPS drops to 30 but it's not

https://imgur.com/QfXrqR8

Monitor specs above, it's 4k capable at 60 FPS with freesync (wanted a 1440p one but for some reason I found this one on a sale much cheaper than any 1440p with same specs lol), I tested it in Elite Dangerous and works flawlessly, no screen tearing, no stutters, no nothing, works as expected.

I play Warframe at 1440p locked at 60 FPS in-game, borderless (also my desktop resolution).

Things I've noticed:

-If I leave it at 1440p but make the game full screen, if I alt tab the monitor goes black and re-connects as if it lost connection "DisplayPort" appears in the corner, this doesn't happen if it's borderless. If I make it 4k and full screen while desktop sits at 1440p, alt-tabbing it no longer does the black screen thing.

-If I increase FPS cap to 72 from the game (it's the next step up after 60), stuttering happens way less often even though game sits at 72 FPS at all times.

-turning on vsync does nothing (freesync is already on and it does it's job, no screen tearing)

I swear that tiny little window where it dips to what feels like 30 FPS (even though any FPS counter I tried says it sits stable at 60) makes me insane

Monitors/GPUs are so finicky these days, no more plug and play without further tweaking like my previous 1080p monitor (but that one was screen tearing 24/7 hard regardless if I had vsync on, it was stupidly distracting)

Is it possible that Radeon is performing some virtual super-resolution? The screen going black like that sounds like it's dealing with a resolution change between the game and the rest of your PC, quite honestly.

And as for the stutter, try setting FPS cap to 120, or 180 if you can for some buffer room? (I forget what options there are for the cap off the top of my head) Unless there's full game stutter it could be some frameloss at-cap bringing you below 60, making it feel jagged and a double- or triple-buffered framerate should smooth that out.

On 2019-11-25 at 10:08 PM, Sebastianx said:

Anyone has any idea why my game stutters every 5-10 seconds for like 1-2 seconds even though FPS sits at 60 at all times? Feels like FPS drops to 30 but it's not

https://imgur.com/QfXrqR8

Monitor specs above, it's 4k capable at 60 FPS with freesync (wanted a 1440p one but for some reason I found this one on a sale much cheaper than any 1440p with same specs lol), I tested it in Elite Dangerous and works flawlessly, no screen tearing, no stutters, no nothing, works as expected.

I play Warframe at 1440p locked at 60 FPS in-game, borderless (also my desktop resolution).

Things I've noticed:

-If I leave it at 1440p but make the game full screen, if I alt tab the monitor goes black and re-connects as if it lost connection "DisplayPort" appears in the corner, this doesn't happen if it's borderless. If I make it 4k and full screen while desktop sits at 1440p, alt-tabbing it no longer does the black screen thing.

-If I increase FPS cap to 72 from the game (it's the next step up after 60), stuttering happens way less often even though game sits at 72 FPS at all times.

-turning on vsync does nothing (freesync is already on and it does it's job, no screen tearing)

I swear that tiny little window where it dips to what feels like 30 FPS (even though any FPS counter I tried says it sits stable at 60) makes me insane

Monitors/GPUs are so finicky these days, no more plug and play without further tweaking like my previous 1080p monitor (but that one was screen tearing 24/7 hard regardless if I had vsync on, it was stupidly distracting)

first i thought it only me. After i look into the forum i know im not the only one... samething happend for me too, i even put everything to LOW, turn off every effect and it still stuttering like you mention. Before the oldblood update everything stable at 60fps with max setting, after oldblood update it still 60fps but have a wierd stuttering every 5~10 sec. Im not good at PC specs but other game in my libary still run really smooth. oh boi and it suck when it stuttering like that.....!

On 2019-11-26 at 12:37 AM, GenteelFish said:

Is it possible that Radeon is performing some virtual super-resolution? The screen going black like that sounds like it's dealing with a resolution change between the game and the rest of your PC, quite honestly.

And as for the stutter, try setting FPS cap to 120, or 180 if you can for some buffer room? (I forget what options there are for the cap off the top of my head) Unless there's full game stutter it could be some frameloss at-cap bringing you below 60, making it feel jagged and a double- or triple-buffered framerate should smooth that out.

Yeah the alt-tab is really weird, monitor is 4k but I run both desktop and game at 1440p so when I alt tab there really shouldn't be a change. If I increase FPS limit game is horribly stuttery and screen teary even thought it is stable at those FPSs (the 5700 XT is a damn good card lol).

I updated my driver from 19.7.5 (which was the only version that wasn't blue screening 3 times per day to 19.9.2 which so far hasn't blue screened and it fixed the random stutters, now I play the game borderless at 1440p - 60 FPS and it's fine, weird things happening in other games though, same settings in Apex Legends, 1440p capped at 60, borderless, game runs well but VERY RARELY there's some frame skipping happening...but it's still much better than with 19.7.5 drivers 

14 hours ago, locbatruong said:

first i thought it only me. After i look into the forum i know im not the only one... samething happend for me too, i even put everything to LOW, turn off every effect and it still stuttering like you mention. Before the oldblood update everything stable at 60fps with max setting, after oldblood update it still 60fps but have a wierd stuttering every 5~10 sec. Im not good at PC specs but other game in my libary still run really smooth. oh boi and it suck when it stuttering like that.....!

I mostly fixed mine, if you have a 5700 card, try updating the drivers to 19.9.2 (there's a newer version but that's experimental, don't use that as it randomly black screens your games for no reason)

• 4 weeks later...