The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Massive FPS drops/mini game freezes in borderless fullscreen since Hotfix 26.0.6

HeartofDragons

I was asked to post this here after finding a workaround on Warframe Support (Id #1957574).

Ever since Hotfix 26.0.6 I've been getting intermittent frame drops, to the point that I lose the ability to move or even look around while they are happening (a couple of host migrations make me suspect they might even be mini game freezes). They're always more frequent and longer when there's a lot of FX on screen (abilities, weather, projectiles, lots of other people/things in one place, etc.). Warframe was running perfectly fine for almost a week before the hotfix (and FPS drops), and none of my other games are having any problems.

I have verified and optimized Warframe, updated my graphics driver, restarted my computer multiple times, and tinkered with my in-game display settings multiple times with no real fix. So far I've found that the game cannot be played in borderless fullscreen (my preferred setting)  at all due to the frequency and length of the FPS drops/mini-freezes. Windowed and fullscreen mode don't get FPS drops/mini freezes if I turn the resolution and refresh rate down (Windowed might just get them less, I'm still testing to see if my current resolution setting is small enough to make them go away completely).

My computer (laptop) specs are: Intel Core i7-6500U, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, 16GB RAM, Win10 Home v1903

Edited by HeartofDragons
Added a little more info that was in ths support ticket, but not here

1 hour ago, HeartofDragons said:

My computer (laptop) specs are: Intel Core i7-6500U, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, 16GB RAM, Win10 Home v1903

Is the game using Intel graphics or Nvidia graphics? Check NVidia control panel and windows 10 graphics settings.

In game, Graphics option, optimized flip on? This may help with switchable graphics.

Check some temperatures to make sure it isn't too hot like more then 90 Celsius and isn't slowing down clock speed too much. Some programs like Hwinfo64 can check temperature and clocks.