Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Support Frame Concept and Drawing - Chrysalis

Draginfli

warframe_chrysalis_by_lyhlitheluminescen

Sketches below:

warframe_chrysalis2_by_lyhlitheluminescewarframe_chrysalis3_by_lyhlitheluminescewarframe_chrysalis4_by_lyhlitheluminesce

I'm relatively new to playing Warframe, as I've almost entirely watched it played since it was released. That being said, I had a dream of something along the lines of this frame and I had to share. Her name is Chrysalis, as she's based on a moth and dragonfly. As her inspiration came from a dream and her power was basically magic, I wanted to keep that theme:

When a Tenno team survived a crash in her bog, the Tenno were quickly without resources or knowledge where they were. Nightmares soon came to feast on their minds and render them helpless, unable to fully heal, and grow increasingly insane. Chrysalis felt this surge of nightmares and appeared to protect them. She had little combat ability, but bestowed a supernatural protection of their dreams and visions. She fended off the nightmares with her power and presence, watching over them at night and using a mysterious, glowing power to cleanse the bog around them.

The Tenno's minds began to heal, and their bodies afterward. Surreal dreams that brought them peace also brought them visions and messages about how to survive in this unknown bog. These dreams also showed them where to find raw materials to repair their ship, and strange, unorthodox ways to create replacement parts where raw materials wouldn't do the trick. The Tenno quickly noticed their natural abilities were enhanced when Chrysalis was around, and even when she was afar during the day, they felt her protecting presence. 

She was an angel in their hell. 

Now, that's the story I created for her. The dream's story where she originated was different (and I am aware unrealistic to the game):

I was on a team of about eight, and the newest member (which is relatively true, considering I'm new to actually playing). We used the game's interface to customize and mod our real frames. The game had a few more features, but wasn't used as a game. There was a warehouse where hands-on modifications of our frames were possible for further tweaking.

I completely altered a frame from its original design. I made it purely a supportive role and focused every ability on its buffs and power. Combat was nearly impossible for this frame, and it wasn't meant to be used solo. Whatever combat power it might have had was focused on power alone. In the dream, it was my intention to make it entirely over-powered as a support frame, as hands-on tweaking meant there were no in-game restrictions. 

My abilities worked by touching another person, marking their consciousness. My hand placed a symbol (=i=, my personal signature) on them where they chose, and it glowed, then faded to be invisible. Tanks and melee combatants wanted it on their foreheads or chests, but stealthier roles wanted it on their backs or shoulders. It connected them to my frame's power, and it glowed when I activated my buffs, my only abilities. I only had to activate a single buff to give it to every marked consciousness within a 2 mile radius (yes, radius). The buffs worked in percentages, and I remember the range for them varied between 75%-200% for attack damage, defense, attack speed, and upping the power of the frames. Specifically, I remember a Rhino with extra armor plates (irl husband) and a Titania who adored her pink ponytails (best friend). 

This radius for my power needed to be so large because I stayed far from combat. I hovered high in the air and shielded myself in a glowing, impenetrable shield. I needed not to see my team to have a sense where they were because of their marks.  I could share this shield with the team if they needed it, but nothing except power could pass through it, so it was rarely shared unless a frame was in a dire situation. 

We typically fought hoards of enormous monsters, protecting our base station. I remember a huge black animal with the head of a wolf (thicker snout), arms of a gorilla, and body of a bear. We called them hounds for lack of an actual name.  

This was the most adventurous dream I've had in a while. I cannot express how perfectly this frame fit my personality. I'd love to play a purely support-based frame, especially if my abilities and powers were focused on buffing my team. I don't need to kill or have the most of anything, as long as I supported my team through and through. 

I'm getting some feedback claiming that she wouldn't be fun to play, unrealistic to play, or cause toxic player behavior. 1: She's not based on a killing machine, but a healer/buff type support, 2: I'm trying my best with being an inexperienced player (constructive criticism is appreciated), and 3: toxic players will always be toxic, regardless of role. Like Trinity, Chrysalis focuses on her team more than destruction. 

Could Chrysalis kill? Yes, she should be as functional as any other frame. Is that her focus? Not necessarily, as she would shine the most in cooperative teams helping them. Would she kill enemies more than buff her team? Probably, based on the sheer number of enemies and likely cool-downs of her buffs. She may favor longer ranged weapons due to her low physical stats.

A draft of her stats at base level with no mods:

• 75 Health
  • 75 Shield
  • 50 Health 
  • 200 Energy
  • 1.5 Sprint Speed

A draft of her abilities at base level with no mods. Her abilities would be mostly buffs based on percentages, timers, and mods, and a personal shield as an ultimate:

• Ability 1: Parasite:
    • Debuff enemies' movement and attack speeds for 20 seconds by 25% (up to base 40% at max level).
  • Ability 2: Transformation:
    • Buff attack speed and damage for herself and teammates for 10 seconds for 20% (up to base 50% at max level).
    • -OR-
    • She and teammates gain higher attack speeds based on the number of enemies killed with in 10 seconds. This bonus is shared with the entire team increasing by enemies slain until 20% is reached (up to base 50% at max level). Either highest percentage of attack speed and damage increase is 1) based on Chrysalis's stats or 2) based individually for each warframe. 
  • Ability 3: Exoskeleton:
    • Buff armor and health for herself and teammates for 30 seconds by 35% (up to base 50% at max level).
    • -OR-
    • She and teammates gain extra armor and shields based on the number of enemies killed within 30 seconds. This bonus is shared with the entire team by 30% (up to base 50% at max level). Either highest percentage of armor and health increase is 1) based on Chrysalis's stats or 2) based individually for each warframe.
  • Ability 4 (Ultimate): Shell:
    • Immobile, chrysalis shield around herself that can be summoned and de-summoned. The shield may constantly sap a slow rate of energy at 20 energy/sec while it is summoned at base level (5 energy/sec at max level, mods may reduce the energy/sec or by percentage). De-summoning it would save the remaining energy if not used in its entirety (and/or interrupt remaining cool-down). If summoned while other abilities are active, it pauses the timers and continues them when the shield is de-summoned.
  • Passive: killing enemies regens Chrysalis's energy based on the energy of the enemy slain. 

I haven't given much thought to her weapons, but bows and staves are my go-to in Warframe and would greatly fit her bug-like aesthetic and flitting movement. I love the idea of hexagonal, bug-like wing designs on blades or bows!

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Draginfli
editing stats - final
  • Like 1

The halo has got to go.  Trash like that can be seperate and optional like the stupid mustaches.  

Touching other frames would be problematic for a bazilion reasons....(unless thats like a ghost image of your mental powers that happens when you activate your buff/s.   Cuz you said you were going to be miles from the action).

Her massive range is a huge red flag.  You basically want DE to make a frame you can AFK in??  Hmmmmm   Technically you would probably never be in affinity range.... how the hell would you level up or gain affinity???   You would get some from using your powers but....and since you cant fight....

-------------------------------------------------

Im thinking of unqiue buffs a new frame could give.  We have healing, armor, energy regen, overshields,  attack speed.....     we dont have one that can buff crit chance or crit damage or status chance.   That could be hella cool.  Especially crit damage buff lol. 

But I like the idea of your warframe being a mix of nyx and trinity.  She could use one ability to put up a bubble around herself.  This would attract all aggro.  The damage done to her shield would get released as energy or healing AoE waves.  Her ultimate would be to pop her bubble/shields and unleash an AoE wave of damage.  Another ability would be to siphon energy to just herself.. she cant really get beat on to make rage/hunter adrenaline work.  She would prob have crap armor.     I think this would be really tough to choose strength/range/effeciency or duration which would be great.  

Im not sure what game you have been playing though.   The best defense is offense.  Instead of trying to stop damage or heal damage its faaaar better to insta-kill the things beating on you.  This is really sad but true.   Having someone in my group not fighting and helping to kill makes me block people and or quit the group.   I have a huge problem with the AFK part of it.   Even if you sat in a corner and got zero rewards I still have a problem with it because the more people there are the more enemies there are and they tougher they are.  Thats great for low content, but when doing higher end stuff where I might be struggling that would be a really toxic problem.  

1 hour ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ said:

The halo has got to go.  Trash like that can be seperate and optional like the stupid mustaches.  

Touching other frames would be problematic for a bazilion reasons....(unless thats like a ghost image of your mental powers that happens when you activate your buff/s.   Cuz you said you were going to be miles from the action).

Her massive range is a huge red flag.  You basically want DE to make a frame you can AFK in??  Hmmmmm   Technically you would probably never be in affinity range.... how the hell would you level up or gain affinity???   You would get some from using your powers but....and since you cant fight....

-------------------------------------------------

Im thinking of unqiue buffs a new frame could give.  We have healing, armor, energy regen, overshields,  attack speed.....     we dont have one that can buff crit chance or crit damage or status chance.   That could be hella cool.  Especially crit damage buff lol. 

But I like the idea of your warframe being a mix of nyx and trinity.  She could use one ability to put up a bubble around herself.  This would attract all aggro.  The damage done to her shield would get released as energy or healing AoE waves.  Her ultimate would be to pop her bubble/shields and unleash an AoE wave of damage.  Another ability would be to siphon energy to just herself.. she cant really get beat on to make rage/hunter adrenaline work.  She would prob have crap armor.     I think this would be really tough to choose strength/range/effeciency or duration which would be great.  

Im not sure what game you have been playing though.   The best defense is offense.  Instead of trying to stop damage or heal damage its faaaar better to insta-kill the things beating on you.  This is really sad but true.   Having someone in my group not fighting and helping to kill makes me block people and or quit the group.   I have a huge problem with the AFK part of it.   Even if you sat in a corner and got zero rewards I still have a problem with it because the more people there are the more enemies there are and they tougher they are.  Thats great for low content, but when doing higher end stuff where I might be struggling that would be a really toxic problem.  

As a personal touch, I'm quite a fan of halos.

The dream of course is not realistic to the game in any aspect, as much as I wish I had a hands-on warehouse to build a real, custom frame. I'm no experienced Warframe player, and with the adventurousness of the dream that inspired Chrysalis, I did my best to throw ideas out there that may hold some water in actual play. Low armor? Likely. Of course she couldn't completely forgo combat as per the game's mechanics (how would the solo missions even work then?), but as far as the dream was concerned, there were no limits like that! 😁

As far as aggro and adding in to how many enemies spawn: that was kind of Chrysalis's point. Even if she did attract them more than other players, her buffs to her team should more than make up for it if she was "absent" from combat. As for loot or XP? Maybe she gets it passively based on who/how many team members she buffed, if there's a way to balance that? Otherwise, being near team members and helping each other out with buffs/kills/rewards makes sense to me. I don't realistically think a Chrysalis player could, or should, actually be absent from combat, even if that's not the core of her design. Support roles aren't popular for the sake of toxic or uncooperative players, yes, but I'm a damn good team player and I have a damn good team. 

I'm not sure how a frame would work if it was built to be almost entirely a support role, but I'd sure as heck be ready to try it out! 

I love the insect mortify going on but I find the head odd. It seen to much like mag’s and it feels a bit of considering the insect body.

About the kit, you can’t make a straight up buff frame because of low interaction gameplay. If the frame can use the buffs at press of button and the kit is just buffs , the gameplay is reduced to watching a timer. You have to address that by mixing it a bit of cc and mobility combining that with a necessity of set up for the buff. If you want an example of how to do that. Here is a old concept of mine.

Spoiler

PS: edit your post and place the picture on beginning to go get people attention.

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

I love the insect mortify going on but I find the head odd. It seen to much like mag’s and it feels a bit of considering the insect body.

About the kit, you can’t make a straight up buff frame because of low interaction gameplay. If the frame can use the buffs at press of button and the kit is just buffs , the gameplay is reduced to watching a timer. You have to address that by mixing it a bit of cc and mobility combining that with a necessity of set up for the buff. If you want an example of how to do that. Here is a old concept of mine.

Hide contents

PS: edit your post and place the picture on beginning to go get people attention.

I was going for the dragonfly look, with the enormous eyes that wrap around the helmet. And yes, I really like Mag's base design!

You have a great frame concept, and thanks for linking it for me! This was the kind of help I was looking for in trying to flesh out Chrysalis's stats and abilities. I wanted her to be different than Trinity, but it looks like lots of people use Trinity as a measuring stick for game balance. 

Good edit suggestion!