The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Complaints stay about constant while updates get more and more ambitious - or - "DE love thread"

punkrockwarlord

Hi - first time poster long time reader.

While the level of whining about updates is about constant since I started playing, the amount of content DE drops in an update is huge compared to 2012. I.e  DE's improvement in development, QC, delivery, roadmap, and follow through is difficult to appreciate for newer players.

I've played Warframe since update 7 (2012/3?). Since that time, I feel like the amount of complaints per each update has been pretty stable on average - some more, some less. Over this span DE's ambitions have generally increased til the amount of content introduced, tweaked, experimented with is (literally) orders of magnitudes more than the early days (introducing moas was a mainline update for Chrissakes). Now they drop whole new worlds populated with new enemies, NPCs, play styles, missions...  DE's matured tremendously and the credit goes to the management and the player community outreach program.

DE's player community is noticeably different than any other developer. Imagine Gearbox, Blizzard, EA, et al. running Warframe.... although other developers' treatment of their player communities speaks for itself. Afaik the credit for this goes to Rebecca Ford, and to a lesser extent the DE management for not getting in her way. And this started at the beginning because it was the smart thing to do. Back at that time other developers failed to realize the partnership they could have with players: from banning complainers from game forums, to introducing universally reviled game features. DE got it right.

I'm not aware of any other developer who engages with the players community in the same manner as SpaceMom: calm replies to over-the-top / insulting complaints; comprehensive and lengthy discussions of the current roadmap; rapid response to feedback, support of constructive player community built supplemental content (wikis, streamers, data-miner frount-ends, et al.); methodical reevaluation of aspects of the game content and mechanics (e.g Pablo).  I mean who else does all this stuff?

Can some things be improved? Probably. But I'm pretty happy with DE's prioritization and resource allocation.

Thanks DE, I love you.

Also... Here's some suggested meditations when frustrated with new content. While I'm not trying to discourage complaining about updates (OK a little), please consider the following:

1) DE tends to start things off too difficult than loosens things up, rather than vice versa.

2) If you really HATE excessively difficult grinding and sessions ruined by game-breaking bugs do not (when you can choose not to) play new content until three (3) weeks after drop.

3) DE is a for-profit enterprise - coders got to eat (and buy cool stuff) too. Some aspects of the game serve to encourage players to spend money.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, punkrockwarlord said:

3) DE is a for-profit enterprise - coders got to eat (and buy cool stuff) too. Some aspects of the game serve to encourage players to spend money.

Perhaps something to add is that you can get platinum for free. It is not difficult to farm platinum, so why not do it, then buy stuff. I like to buy all the fancy things I can, but I don't always want to spend money.

• If you don't want to spend money, trade with those that do. Then buy stuff. You get your things, DE gets to keep running. 
  • You can get what you want by farming for plat instead of complaining about it.
Spoiler

I was annoyed about the cost of the MKIII gear for Railjack. I went and farmed 500 plat and purchased some rush drones. Now I have a decent ship, and DE got paid (just not by me). I am happy, because my ship is good now. The people I traded with are happy, because they got what they wanted. DE is happy, because people spent money. Everybody wins!