Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vasca Kvats made me Cry | Pet Thread

It seems like the Vasca virus is modelled off of the real life FIV virus. Cue the wobbly teary-eyed tranq fest to save ALL THE fantasy kitties. I’m so glad there is a cure in game; in a way it’s a bit like wish fulfilment. We have a few rescues who are FIV positive. I know it was more or less a Halloween based cat species design, but the parallels are there. 

Do any of you make pets based off of your own, or want to own? As a self-proclaimed crazy cat lady, you can bet I will never be seen in game without my kvat. It’s kind of endearing to have both a cat in lap and on screen. 

Some may think it odd to name companions after RL pets? I know it can be triggering to see “____ has died” pop on the screen for some. That’s not to say I don’t have dumb joke names too; I definitely have an ugly pug head kvat called People Haggis. 

Share pet names, and their stories! 

Sage is an FIV rescue who literally decided to have us as his owners. He came up to the porch one day and just didn’t leave. He would try to come inside every time we opened the door. Although he is a feral, he is the nicest mannered cat we have owned. He meows when he is hungry or when his mouse toy gets stuck behind a door. FIV is called the fighting cat disease because it is transferred by saliva, but Sage has never bit. Ever. The vets are always glad to see him because he is an easy patient who would rather cuddle the tech than hiss or bite, regardless of scary medicine. I do have a Smeetie that carries Sage’s name, and part of me thinks that I have such good luck at double buffs because my buddy is with me in game. 

The Vasca strain is a symbiotic blood-borne virus transmitted via the saliva of infected kavats. Existing solely to propagate itself the virus makes the host increasingly dependent upon the ingestion of blood, thereby spreading itself further and faster through the population. Vasca-infected kavats, over time, lose all sense of themselves becoming increasingly cunning, violent and ravenous.

I read that more as rabies than [X]IV, but yeah it's pretty nasty all the same