Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feeling Down And Useless

Zedoth

I've been pretty down lately due to quite a few reasons, I've got my final exams in high school coming up. These exams are important in there own way as they determine the courses and universities/colleges you're going to go. These exams are worth 50% of everything. They start in about a week or so but I have still yet to study. I really tried today. Sat in my room without any electronics and took out a past maths exam to do but I just cannot concentrate. I've already got a pretty bad internal mark so aceing these exams will really bring my rank up since there worth 50%. 

Even though still knowing that I can still do much better and that they are a gateway to my preferred course I still can't get motivated. I feel pretty useless, the rest of my friends probably are studying (there offline usually) and I can't help to feel jealous of them even though that I'm just so lazy and end up going on youtube, reading random wiki pages and playing games just because I cannot study. My parents really want me to do good and some of my relatives even called me personally wishing my luck in the exams. I really feel useless and can't help but to just really hate myself and feel bummed by it. It's not as serious that I'm going to suicide because I would never but I just feel so down and hate the jealousy I feel towards my very friends when I'm not even concentrating myself. 

I'm not a very academic person, suck at sports so I really just want to be worth something by getting enough marks to get into my preferred course. But yea I still cannot get myself to study despite all these reasons. The week left for me to study is definitely not enough for me to get really high marks but I can't help everyday to lie in bed and feel really down and depress for wasting the days time, being selfish and really just lacking motivation for anything with work.

Personally I would just really want to share that I really want to help other people, I've found that my motivation comes from that. If someone needs help I would go out of my way to, and yet if it's to help myself in these exams I cannot do so.

I would really really appreciate anyone who would be willing to try and motivate me and to share some study techniques that they found useful. Thank you very much for reading.

First stop thinking about how bad you are at something that's just wrong, be confident on what you CAN do.

If you feel down talk to someone you can reach(not by chat, talking in person would definitely make you feel better.)

Study tips? You can try what Chunkymatej said. Or my personal tip, study everything 2 hours before the exams while chewing a some gum. 

Also, try to stay away from your computer. That seems to be the thing that makes you lazy. 

I know that feeling, I have it too sometimes. I know I have to do something for school, but I can't get any motivation and just wander on the internet, which makes me only feel more bad about myself.

It is mostly because you have the feeling that you are not capable of doing what you want, in this case getting good enough grades. You have to try to change this feeling, so to get more confidence in your own abilities. When your confidence is up, it's much easier to concentrate on your study and you will feel better about yourself overall.

What I think to do best is to think about things concerning your study that went well or other things that make you proud of yourself. Think mostly of good things. If you would think of something that brings you down, try to analyze that situation in a way that you end up with thinking that that didn't matter so much.You said that helping people motivates you, I have that too. By helping someone and getting their thanks, I get the feeling that I was of importance to that person, which makes me happy about myself. Talking to others about it (what you're actually doing now) is also good, since you can get advice and you get to know that you are by far not the only one that has this problem. You're really not the only one. Others can also make you feel better about yourself by telling you things they like about you or things that they think you should be proud of.

What also may help as an extra is special music that helps you to concentrate, you can find enough on YouTube.

I hope this helps.

what u have is depression and nobody else can get u out of it but u'r self. u need to re-evaluate u'r goals and why u are actually studying for. get angry or whatever it takes so u can get focused on what u need to do. dont do it for u'r friends or family do something for u'self for a change. if u dont do anything about it now! it will take a long time to get out of it.

Edited by bosstnt

Don't get too down, mate.

Don't think that your high school exams are the be all end all.

I thought exactly the same.

They (at least in my school) try to get it into your mind that high school is so important, and if you don't do exams you're going to be a failure.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn't do exams in highschool, I breezed through, doing all the easiest subjects.

Where am I now? 

Working 2 jobs, studying at uni to do my dream job, and I'm doing a traineeship.

Most people go through some kind of "depressing" phase. I went through it pretty bad.

I know you said that you "suck at sports".

While, I don't know you personally, I guarantee that there's a sport out there that you'd enjoy.

You just have to stick at it for a while.

Personally, I took up MMA. If I hadn't I would have dropped out, and I definitely wouldn't be where I am right now.

I fully recommend you take up boxing/kickboxing/BJJ/MMA.

You will start out feeling useless, but, trust me, they will work absolute wonders for your life.

Start one up after exams, and you will have one of the absolute best sources of stress relief and encouragement in your life.

This may not work for you at all, but it sure as hell did for me.

I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Keep your chin up. (figuratively :P Don't do that in boxing)

Some great advice from Nugget!

Also not to be negative, but if your exams start in a WEEK and you have done no study so far...
well its doubtful that all the study in a weeks time is gunna be enough bro,

You might NOTpass your exams.... but NEITHER DID EINSTEIN!

Exams arent the end of the world, and in todays troubled times there are more and more extremely well educated people working at pizza hut or starbucks with HUGE loan payments and interest to pay off

What difference will the exams really make to your life? they will help you get into college sure, but do you want to spend even MORE years stuck in class and studying?  it dosnt sound like you do!

Maybe you should just think about getting out into the world, getting a simple job and just LIVING for awhile, you can always go back to school later bro..

take it easy, and all the best... ZR

Edited by ZetaReticulan

I've been pretty down lately due to quite a few reasons, I've got my final exams in high school coming up. These exams are important in there own way as they determine the courses and universities/colleges you're going to go. These exams are worth 50% of everything. They start in about a week or so but I have still yet to study. I really tried today. Sat in my room without any electronics and took out a past maths exam to do but I just cannot concentrate. I've already got a pretty bad internal mark so aceing these exams will really bring my rank up since there worth 50%. 

That's why I gave up on studying.

I just can't concentrate on that S#&$. ever.

I had exams ~6 weeks ago, they were very important. But I didn't do S#&$ for them.

My results were bad, but I got through.

Scored 1 in the English exam, which is the best grade. 

I doubt that I can do that in the next exams though. I can't just rely on 1 part of the exams and test my luck on the other ones.

what u have is depression and nobody else can get u out of it but u'r self. u need to re-evaluate u'r goals and why u are actually studying for. get angry or whatever it takes so u can get focused on what u need to do. dont do it for u'r friends or family do something for u'self for a change. if u dont do anything about it now! it will take a long time to get out of it.

Yes, I agree that it sounds like the OP probably is suffering from depression. 

It is very IMPORTANT that he seek help from a mental health professional ASAP because if left untreated - he's very likely to get much worse.

I suggest that he speak to his family physician, or guidance counselor at school.ASAP!!!

PLEASE DO NOT PROCRASTINATE GETTING TREATMENT BECAUSE YOU'LL WIND UP REGRETTING IT!!!!

Thank you all for posting up advice and tips as well as their personal experiences. I think I'm okay, not as bad as depression luckily. 

Not going to change in a day but I will try to have a more optimistic approach as well as trying to not waste my time as much.

Thanks

Thank you all for posting up advice and tips as well as their personal experiences. I think I'm okay, not as bad as depression luckily. 

Not going to change in a day but I will try to have a more optimistic approach as well as trying to not waste my time as much.

Thanks

You're very welcome, Zedoth!