Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The state of the genre, and WF itself

Kino8

I wrote an article, there's both an older entry and an update to the general topic I published today.

I cover the state of the genre, aspects that truly make a great MMO, as well as touch on some aspects of Warframe that troubled me. With almost 2.5k hours invested in WF alone and an MMO career dating back to 2003, I feel I have earned an opinion piece.

ARiMxDa.png

Hope you'll check it out: https://medium.com/@MagicofGaia/mmorpgs-the-decline-part-two-b72b7ebd0f68

Question is, do these players you call as dedicated players actually want to do it? So far we don't find anyone that content with the grind and always asking for the streamlining for the grind so I doubt those can be called as dedicated players. Also, the term for dedicated can be quite vague. I've played warframe from 2014 with zero break with 2,000 hours and counting with nearly no other games played, does that fall in term dedicated? Or does that mean something else?

Also, raids weren't something that fun actually, most of the time you solve puzzles with such slow pace that doesn't feel a lot like warframe. The assault mode in Kuva Fortress feels like a mix of short raid and has the warframe feel in it so I believe raids will be faster in pace instead of solving puzzles on every corner.

I would say it means you are loyal. @ 2400 hours it is about the equivalent of 3 months of logged in time. 100 days at that amount of time over 1.5 years means playing about 5 hours per day on average. 5 years of playing @ 2k hours is essentially 1,825 days / time played means playing less than an hour per day, or more than likely just a couple days a week for possibly slightly longer sessions.

For a bulk of dedicated casual, mid~hc gamers, and mmo junkies who have one dedicated title with possibly a couple solo titles on the side - 16~30 hours a week is about average for time investment between all categories for min / max high and low end.

That also goes into the content diversity section, Warframe should not all feel like one thing. There is not enough very different content to sustain a player who wants to spend most of their free time each day/week in a single title for more than 6 months ~ 1 year without doing nearly everything available or burning out on the limited options to them.