Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help for Dynamic Resolution 60 FPS target fix

ShiroZan

Windows 10
ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501JW
Intel Core i7 4720HQ 2.6Ghz
8GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
Apparently my GPU heats a lot, reaching to 97° temp when playing heavy games so I have a MSI Afterburner to lock the temp limit into 80°.

I used to play Warframe in a constant 60fps as long as I enable my Dynamic Resolution into Auto. And now I can't maintain the same fps anymore. Is the current dynamic resolution got some sort of a problem? Please I need help asap.

mvvuLki.png

pnkbaGY.png

On 2020-01-24 at 3:51 AM, ShiroZan said:

Apparently my GPU heats a lot, reaching to 97° temp when playing heavy games so I have a MSI Afterburner to lock the temp limit into 80°.

Locking GPU temperature to something lower will slow down the GPU.

Most laptops use the same heatsink and same heatpipe for both CPU and GPU. The heat of CPU will heat up the GPU and may cause GPU to throttle and go super slow.

Might be better to drop the CPU maximum processor state. Small CPU speed drops can save a lot of power and generate a whole lot less heat. Try 99% maximum processor state, or lower, to shut off CPU turbo boost. Windows have power management options.
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+power+management+maximum+processor+state

Might have to clean up dust buildup that may block airflow and overheat computer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-01-27 at 9:56 PM, sam686 said:

Locking GPU temperature to something lower will slow down the GPU.

Most laptops use the same heatsink and same heatpipe for both CPU and GPU. The heat of CPU will heat up the GPU and may cause GPU to throttle and go super slow.

Might be better to drop the CPU maximum processor state. Small CPU speed drops can save a lot of power and generate a whole lot less heat. Try 99% maximum processor state, or lower, to shut off CPU turbo boost. Windows have power management options.
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+power+management+maximum+processor+state

Might have to clean up dust buildup that may block airflow and overheat computer.

Well I still can do 60fps constantly back then even if I change to temp limit between 78° and 89°. And no matter what graphical settings I made, lowest or highest, the results are the same. Is there a way I can do to force the game to make 60fps as a target fps while using Dynamic Resolution? Also I already did the power management options so there's that.

4 hours ago, ShiroZan said:

Is there a way I can do to force the game to make 60fps as a target fps while using Dynamic Resolution?

Dynamic resolution may automatically drop down to 50%, that is, half width, half height resolution. At 1920x1080, dynamic resolution have a lower limit of 960x540.

Screenshot looks like it is already dropped dynamic resolution to half width, half height, with some FPS drops.

Check CPU usage while running games. Maybe normal to see high CPU usage during some loading screens, be sure shader cache is on in NVidia settings. But if the CPU usage is always very high like 80% or higher, check which program is using up too much CPU usage. Might be some other programs like web browsers. Might be virus, malware, or stealthy miner malware slowing down and/or heating up the computer. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stealth+crypto+malware

If cooling fans are weak, might need to clean off the dust from inside the computer, might require opening up the computer to clean, replace thermal paste, and/or replace any dead fans.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ASUS+Zenbook+Pro+UX501+teardown
If unsure, some local computer repair service store might clean off dust from old computers at some cost of money.

Edited by sam686