Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Prime Dilemma (Suggestion)

Arrynopolis

Warning, long Prime item suggestion incoming.

The Issue

Before I get into it, I want to say that I love this game. I know it's still in beta and that it will hopefully get even better, but i really enjoy playing. That said, it does have a few things I feel could be changed as minor quality of life changes which will improve the game in the long run, and allow people to stay involved longer. 

So, let's set up an example. Let's say I play exclusively (pre update 9) with paris, bronco, and orthos. As a loadout, it covers long range high priority killing (paris), short range panic button (bronco), and a flexible long reaching melee (orthos). Now, I love these weapons. These are my babies. I have stuck a reactor and a few forma into each of these. Then update nine comes out, and in one patch, Paris Prime, Bronco Prime, and Orthos Prime are released. These are (almost) total upgrades to their base weapons. It's extremely frustrating for me, as it doesn't feel like a choice. It's the same play style I love, but better. So now I have to farm them, and their blueprints, and reforma these new ones, which after dedicating the same amount of time as the originals, will be better. This feels like a small issue that could upset more people then it needs to.

The -Proposed- Solution

I want to reiterate that this isn't exactly a hugely necessary change that will affect everyone, just a few people that want to save a bit of time to switch into improved versions of their favorite weapons. I know people had suggested using level thirty frames and weapons to build prime gear, but it felt a bit too easy for people who only wanted it for mastery ranks. So I tried coming up with a functional and relatively lore-friendly way to make the transition less jarring. 

Ultimately I feel it would require a new system to be introduced, which would involve dismantling frames and weapons into separate parts once more. Using Rhino as an example, it would break Rhino down into the chassis, helmet, and systems again. This would take credits and time, for realism and DE's desire to keep people playing longer. Now, these dismantled pieces could come out as modified, and that's how they could play into prime blueprints. For example, If you had used a forma on the Rhino and dismantled it, the pieces would come out to say "Powerless Rhino Prime Helmet" to suggest that using a forma (orokin tech) on the Rhino gets a bit closer to being "Primed" but not exactly there.

Now once you have these energy-less parts, comes the Prime part blueprint (Rhino Prime Helmet Blueprint). The blueprint could allow you to use the rare materials like they currently do (alloy plate, rubedo, etc) OR allow you to use one of the "Powerless" parts from a dismantled frame (that had either a reactor, a catalyst, or maybe both?) and an orokin cell (the dropped resource) to basically "re-charge" the part back into a prime part. So you still have to find the blueprints (which DE still wants you to do), but you can use old parts. Once you recharge all the powerless parts into their official prime parts, you use the actual frame or weapon prime blueprint to assemble it as normal. 

To account for the forma problem  (I leveled my orthos 5 times because I forma'd it four times, but orthos prime would be better if i did the same thing) you could basically make it so that if you use the dismantling method to build a new prime weapon, it's polarity slots could basically be 'F minus 1'. Where F is how many forma you used on the original, and subtracting one forma to finalize the "priming" process. I feel that these changes would add to the games quality of life, by allowing people to access cool and interesting new weapons in an easier fashion, but still takes work (which is a part of the game) and still requires a tradeoff (trading one of your current weapons, time, and credits to assemble a new one).

TL:DR - Allow people to dismantle weapons/frames that they have forma'd/potato'd and use these dismantled parts, in conjunction with orokin cells (or other resources) to "charge" them into prime parts, to build prime weapons/frames easier.

Edit: To clarify, you still have to farm void and acquire the blueprints to each prime part and the overall frame blueprints (prime helmet, chassis, systems, and frame) in order to build it. I don't suggest making the prime easier to build, but rather easier to get a upgraded "base" item to it's equivalent prime piece without re-grinding formas. You still have to find the prints in the void.

Edit2: This would be an alternative to the existing crafting system, not a replacement. More so that if player A has an orthos with four forma, he can work a tiny bit harder than player B to convert his four-forma-orthos into three-forma-orthosprime. Player B can still make it using scrap resources like everyone else.

Edited by Arrynopolis

How about just keeping the materials cost and Prime parts but use them to powerup your frame and weapons?

You take the old paris,find the Prime parts,stick them to the bow and BAM weapon upgraded with still the catalys and formas on it.

Yet another thing on DE's plate, but I think this is interesting enough to catch their attention for possible future implementation. As we've seen they are rather busy and they do take time out of their busy schedule to do livestreams for us to answer questions and entertain us in combined fashion.

In short: This looks awesome but It'll take time to implement.

Yet another thing on DE's plate, but I think this is interesting enough to catch their attention for possible future implementation. As we've seen they are rather busy and they do take time out of their busy schedule to do livestreams for us to answer questions and entertain us in combined fashion.

In short: This looks awesome but It'll take time to implement.

Without a doubt, that's why I call it a quality of life change. More akin to something implemented when they have far more important issues out of the way.

How about just keeping the materials cost and Prime parts but use them to powerup your frame and weapons?

You take the old paris,find the Prime parts,stick them to the bow and BAM weapon upgraded with still the catalys and formas on it.

That would work too, and I wanted to suggest something like that, but I felt that something like that would be too quick and easy for people that want to upgrade. Farming for materials is easily the least annoying part of building anything (except cells), at least for me.

I had this idea a few nights back, although mine might be a little more complex. First of all, the drop rates and prices are merely speculation, so don't get your panties in a bunch. Anyways...

Lets' continue to use the Rhino for an example. Breaking down your Rhino you'll get Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis, and Rhino Prime Systems. They'll require the same amount of resources as it did previously, but with an addition: Orokin Prime Technology. I'm getting to that. Basically, this means that once you break it down, you won't be able to craft it into an everyday plain ol' Rhino again for the additional Mastery. You'll have no choice but to sell the blueprints for credits, or to craft a Prime Rhino.

Anyways, if you acquired three Orokin Prime Technology blueprints which would be a rare drop from the Orokin Void (I'd say around a 2.5% drop rate across the board, which sounds fair, but up to debate) or if you bought the blueprint itself or the Orokin Prime Technology, both 150,000 Credits or 150 Platinum respectively (this is also debatable, but I'd imagine these would sell like hotcakes) then that would eliminate the grind, perhaps.

Orokin Prime Technology blueprint could be a variant of the "potatoes" we currently have. Maybe white, who knows. Moving on, the blueprints could be something along the lines of:

10 Orokin Cells, 7 Forma, 5 Control Module, 75,000 Credits, or alternatively, 7 Orokin Cells, 5 Forma, 3 Control Module, 50,000 Credits. Of course, you don't want to make Priming an item too easy, because it would make just crafting it more favorable than buying it, and you don't want to piss off the money players. Seriously, though. Primes are supposed to be special. They wouldn't be so great if everyone was running around with one.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Another possible idea, again, with Rhino, could be:

If you break it down into the Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis and Rhino Prime System, you could find the Rhino Prime blueprint in the Orokin Void at around a 5% drop rate. It would require you to have the Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis and Rhino Prime System (which you should already have) to create your new Prime Warframe.

This could either outright give you the Warframe, or create another blueprint (I have no idea what you'd call it, but perhaps "Rhino Prime Suit"?) which would require an Orokin Prime Technology and a Forma.

Again, this is all speculation that expands upon the subject. Even if they did implement such a thing, they can't make it too easy. As previously mentioned, Primes are supposed to be special. It's not so great if everyone has one. I'm sure there are better ideas on this subject. I, personally, don't care too much about it. If Primed items were more of an improvement than what they are now, I'd probably investing more of my time into it. (I'm speaking of the Warframes, as I don't know a lot about the weapons themselves. I'm just saying that an extra Polarity and a shiny new suit isn't going to motivate me to move any faster to get a Prime. Ember, on the other hand...)

I had this idea a few nights back, although mine might be a little more complex. First of all, the drop rates and prices are merely speculation, so don't get your panties in a bunch. Anyways...

Lets' continue to use the Rhino for an example. Breaking down your Rhino you'll get Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis, and Rhino Prime Systems. They'll require the same amount of resources as it did previously, but with an addition: Orokin Prime Technology. I'm getting to that. Basically, this means that once you break it down, you won't be able to craft it into an everyday plain ol' Rhino again for the additional Mastery. You'll have no choice but to sell the blueprints for credits, or to craft a Prime Rhino.

Anyways, if you acquired three Orokin Prime Technology blueprints which would be a rare drop from the Orokin Void (I'd say around a 2.5% drop rate across the board, which sounds fair, but up to debate) or if you bought the blueprint itself or the Orokin Prime Technology, both 150,000 Credits or 150 Platinum respectively (this is also debatable, but I'd imagine these would sell like hotcakes) then that would eliminate the grind, perhaps.

Orokin Prime Technology blueprint could be a variant of the "potatoes" we currently have. Maybe white, who knows. Moving on, the blueprints could be something along the lines of:

10 Orokin Cells, 7 Forma, 5 Control Module, 75,000 Credits, or alternatively, 7 Orokin Cells, 5 Forma, 3 Control Module, 50,000 Credits. Of course, you don't want to make Priming an item too easy, because it would make just crafting it more favorable than buying it, and you don't want to &!$$ off the money players. Seriously, though. Primes are supposed to be special. They wouldn't be so great if everyone was running around with one.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Another possible idea, again, with Rhino, could be:

If you break it down into the Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis and Rhino Prime System, you could find the Rhino Prime blueprint in the Orokin Void at around a 5% drop rate. It would require you to have the Rhino Prime Helmet, Rhino Prime Chassis and Rhino Prime System (which you should already have) to create your new Prime Warframe.

This could either outright give you the Warframe, or create another blueprint (I have no idea what you'd call it, but perhaps "Rhino Prime Suit"?) which would require an Orokin Prime Technology and a Forma.

Again, this is all speculation that expands upon the subject. Even if they did implement such a thing, they can't make it too easy. As previously mentioned, Primes are supposed to be special. It's not so great if everyone has one. I'm sure there are better ideas on this subject. I, personally, don't care too much about it. If Primed items were more of an improvement than what they are now, I'd probably investing more of my time into it. (I'm speaking of the Warframes, as I don't know a lot about the weapons themselves. I'm just saying that an extra Polarity and a shiny new suit isn't going to motivate me to move any faster to get a Prime. Ember, on the other hand...)

Well, your second idea is in essence what I suggested. I may have left it a bit vague, but in my head, you'd still have to farm the void for each blueprint for the helmet, chassis, systems, and frame. My idea is less about getting the prime easier, more about getting them at the same level of an unprime version faster.

Basically (using Rhino again because Rhino is awesome), after I farm my rhino BP's like everyone else, I can turn my Six-Times-Forma'd Rhino into a Four-or-Five-Times-Forma'd Prime. It's more about avoiding the grind of applying new formas into the prime equivalent of the base item.

That would work too, and I wanted to suggest something like that, but I felt that something like that would be too quick and easy for people that want to upgrade. Farming for materials is easily the least annoying part of building anything (except cells), at least for me.

Your idea is nice but it seems too complicated for the average player and scince Prime weapons are upgraded versions why not use the parts to actually "upgrade" the weak versions?

Your idea is nice but it seems too complicated for the average player and scince Prime weapons are upgraded versions why not use the parts to actually "upgrade" the weak versions?

Well, i was working under the mentality that prime should be a bit more exclusive to produce, as it is special and all. That said, it could also serve as a secondary system, while allowing the original system to remain in place.