Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

OP Scarlet Spear Confusion

Chad1661

First of all I have a RJ and have played the Veil and done the annomally several times.

For Op S. Spear I have completed both a ground and space mission  unintentionally  solo.  I had joined public, but no one joined in with me. I am I missing something with matchmaking?  I joined a full server, so I should have had others.   the space mission was full, but I was able to use my own RJ.

I like RJ, and the anommoly in veil, but this is extremely boring Here are the reasons:

-  The aspect of making this playable by fairly new players and experienced players results in a meh experience.   New players don't know how to play railjack due to the high learning curve and the entry difficulty for RJ.

- meager rewards (some weapons and a stance forma that reportedly would take many days to get one).  Also intrinsics can only be earned in space, and comparatively few due to the low difficulty level.   It's not even a worthwhile intrinsic farm.

-  matchmaking issues that frustrate the team play requirement to earn worthwhile rewards.

- overly contrived game play limiting mechanics  

- lack of ability to choose difficulty levels with appropriate reward scaling 

- Lack of situation awareness between ground and space seriously limits this game mode.   

- Unclear mission objectives.  How may times do I need to repeat the same objectives?  I thought the mode was bugged the first time I tried it.

Now the first time I tried the space mission, I quite after moving the sattelite and completing the anommaly objective because I thought it was bugged.   There is no way to know that you have to repeat.    The space mission is not designed to be played solo because the pilot can not fire while moving the sattelite.   This game mechanic to move the sattelite seems overly contrived to block the pilot from using weapons which makes being a pilot suck.   Once you move the sattelite to the destination you go into the annomally.   Once you get close to the anomolly it will send out a boarding ship.   You can park in the anommolly to avoid the fighters, but will still get boarding parties while in the annomally.   the fighters seem to be less destructive to the RJ,  so it might be better to park outside the distance where the boarding craft start launching before disembarking to get to the anomally.  

The system of defending the uplink until you get enough kill codes just is not fun.   When in space I have no idea what is going on on ground?   Is anyone even in the ground mission and working on kill codes?  Also donating kill codes from the space station seems pointless.  Who am I donating to and is this contributing to the objective?   Why would I spend my credits to do this?   

Now on ground, what is the point of the boss?  It does not attack.  It just opens the vulnerable spot on it's head after you kill the sentients with each wave.   Also the special sentient that appears during  the 3rd round is not obvious on how to kill it.  If players are struggling, there should be a voice over tip that comes on after a few minutes.   

The enemies seem equivalent in difficulty to Earth in RJ.  Does it ever scale up?  Why is there not an option to start at higher level missions to get greater rewards?   

51 minutes ago, Chad1661 said:

I am I missing something with matchmaking?

You can either use the recruiting chat or just ask people in the event relay chat to join you. Otherwise, type /join player name in the chat and you can join people.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, both missions are glorified defense missions.  One you do from a RJ and the other you do from Earth.

And I finally managed to join a RJ team that could make it past 3 waves and it definitely scales up.

I assume that ground missions scale up as well.  I just never have found a group that stayed past extraction.  But that is how you get more points!

Let me clarify the issues with matchmaking.  I thought it was obvious.  

First of all, the only thing you know before you join either a railjack or a ground mission is the number of groups.   Are they are opening?  .  It all seems to be completely random.   If you join ground, you will either join an existing group or create your own new group completely at random.  If you spawn alone, then do you wait to see if anyone else joins?   Sure you can call out, but with all notifications constantly streaming,  is anyone paying attention?

However, if join Railjack, because it asks if you want to use your own RJ, it will tell you right then if there are any openings.  Why can't ground missions notify you that there are no groups available to join and let you know that you will be hosting your own group is you continue?   

Ground missions are just modified defense missions.  You can usually make it work at least until extraction appears.

But then on RJ, your just hoping that you get a team together that knows how to work RJ.   Even though there are no minimum number of crewships or fighters to take out so  with a pilot with good skills there you can get relatively quickly to the anomally.  So you really need crew that is better equipped to handle defending the uplinks,   There are still times when the RJ gets boarded and you have to defend it from boarders or clear the drones out.

Another issue is that the mode is nearly vacant until the last hour, when everyone jumps on for the bonus.

Edited by Chad1661
update