Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Map Variety That Makes Sense

HazaRD-WARRIOR

I have been playing Warframe since it went open beta, I think 6 months now or however much it is, it must haven been update 7, and I think it's time to give my own little opinion on what I would like to see in the game.

1st) I have not looked through every thread and do not know if my suggestions have been already posted.

2nd) I love this game and probably will continue to play even without these changes/additions.

3rd) I am very pleased with all the work the devs have made on Warframe. They rock. On most occasions they have actually added time over time things I wanted to see added to the game and basically, they rock! Last addition I really appreciated was one I was getting ready to suggest, extra audio tracks. Good start with the little bit more they gave us, makes the game much more interesting and I hope they add more.

---

Now, what I mean with "A Map Variety that Makes Sense". Basically, just that. After 6 months I notice that even after taking a 7day break and coming back, I have to sit and find what is what on the maps and try to figure out were I want to go. I'm not always farming for materials (since I also have plenty most of the time) and many times I just want to enjoy the game and rank up weapons and warframes. In such cases I do not bother to head to location based on resources, I choose based on map level and what the actual location is like. It's just that it doesn't make any sense at the moment.

Starting at Mercury we find ourselves on Grineer ships and Grineer mine-like-asteroid rock thingies. Going from there to Venus, Corpus ships and a planetary location that actually does remind of Venus. Off to Earth, and the map locations don't make sense again with Grineer ships and asteroid like ship thingies. Off to Mars and other planets and again, Corpus ships and those blue planets that especially for Mars do not make a good fit and mix things up (for those 4 planets mentioned I'd think Earth to be more fitting for the blue planet map than Mars).

Now, provided the game started without that blue planet being there at all if I remember correct (might be mistaken) and the fact that proper Grineer locations were added (can't remember the lore either, if they have destroyed some planet location and all is left is their asteroid maps then it makes sense, though I'd prefer some obvious way to show this with a more open location looking out in space perhaps and planetary debris in the background rather than feel I'm in a ship in space again) and later still an entire new location (Phobos - which 1 looks awesome and 2 is fitting for Mars as well) I see that new locations are indeed added as the game evolves and have come to understand that this might be the direction of the developers to begin with.

If so, all is great. Take your time and do it right, I personally am loving all the additions and even though they are taking some extensive time to be added I know there are many other things to be done as well and also appreciate all the other content additions.

I am simply hoping that the direction of the game is ultimately in the future to have a different map location (apart from the Corpus and Grineer ships which make sense being spread all over the place) for every planet on the map. Phobos was a great addition.

Different looks for every planet will simply ensure that it makes more sense and no more will someone have to look through all the planets to find the specific mission they liked in order to play it again, and worst case scenario get mixed up with a couple similar ones (happens quite often) until they land on the right mission.

For non-habitable planets, that is the gaseous ones (Saturn, Jupiter, etc) locations that are in space make more sense, even on starships, with backgrounds of the Planets etc, or bases on those planets themselves in the form of Bespin from Star Wars with the backgrounds giving hints of where we are. In short, no ground locations on such planets it really mixes things up, unless it is a moon or something but seeing Phobos added I am guessing moons are not treated as part of a planet? Anyway, the blue planet location on Jupiter is an example were the map doesn't make any sense at all.

Hoping that this is indeed the direction of the devs and more than happy to wait out for it to reach such a result, I thought I take the time to post it in the case that it was not part of the plan.

Anyone else agree with this direction?

Again, a big thanks to all the great work that has been put into Warframe. It's the only title in years that actually still has me interested six months later, and perhaps even more interested than when it first came out. The action and gameplay direction is exactly what I had been waiting for in a long time.

Tenno out ;)

+1 HazaRD-WARRIOR.

I agree with HazaRD-WARRIOR in the missions end up being about the same as others, regardless of the planet you to play (except Phobos, which has its own unique maps) I need to develop more detailed maps of the different planets would feel we are crossing different worlds and not repeating missions and seen before.

I support the idea of HazaRD-WARRIOR and hopefully in the future we can see it.

---------------

Estoy de acuerdo con HazaRD-WARRIOR en que las misiones terminan siendo unas igual que otras, sin importar el planeta en el que juegues (excepto Fobos, que tiene sus propios mapas únicos) Creo que desarrollar con más detalle los mapas de los distintos planetas daría la sensación de que estamos recorriendo distintos mundos y no repitiendo misiones ya vistas anteriormente.

Apoyo la idea de HazaRD-WARRIOR y ojalá en un futuro podamos verlo.

I think that this is on DE's bucket list. Before there were any Grineer Galleons in the game, those levels were Corpus ships with Grineer in them. That was just a placeholder, and I think the same is true for most everything else. But making a whole new tileset costs time and effort, lots of it, so I think it will be a long time 'till we can walk around on a Mars that looks like Mars, and on a polluted, dystopian Grineer Earth.

On a sidenote, HazaRD-WARRIOR? The only terrestrial tileset for the Corpus currently in-game does not remind of Venus at all. Rather, it's based off of Neptune, Corpus HQ. To make the distinction simple: Venus is hot, Neptune is not.

I think that this is on DE's bucket list. Before there were any Grineer Galleons in the game, those levels were Corpus ships with Grineer in them. That was just a placeholder, and I think the same is true for most everything else. But making a whole new tileset costs time and effort, lots of it, so I think it will be a long time 'till we can walk around on a Mars that looks like Mars, and on a polluted, dystopian Grineer Earth.

On a sidenote, HazaRD-WARRIOR? The only terrestrial tileset for the Corpus currently in-game does not remind of Venus at all. Rather, it's based off of Neptune, Corpus HQ. To make the distinction simple: Venus is hot, Neptune is not.

Yeah I'm thinking it will take time too, but here's to hoping it is indeed the direction they are headed for. Signs show like you say that this is probably what they are going for and that is a good thing even if it takes time :)

As for that Venus, sure you are right, I just have a different image many times of Venus due to a lot of fiction, science fiction and some even fantasy novels and references that depict Venus as a different climate (kind of like Earth) but only experienced on different frequencies (kind of like parallels) so I tend to refer to that image even though technically, realistically and physically it is impossible and wrong so you're right ;)

Venus is a high-pressure corrosive hellhole in reality.

Jupiter/Uranus/Neptune are gas giants, so there is no "ground" until VERY further down when pressure and gravity are crushing and no light reaches those depths. None really knows what there is on their "surface" so much it is down. Some theories even speculate about metallic hydrogen (hydrogen so compressed that it behaves like a metal).

Corpus Outpost is kinda weird as it is, as it does only fit on Earth. There are no other planets or moons with an atmosphere AND a cold temperature (and dead trees).

That said, yeah, They said they were going to add stuff to gas giant systems, and I think they are going to add stuff to other planets as well.

Thinking about it, the most needed tileset would be a "colony space station" tileset, as for gas giants there is no real other way to settle.

Edited by bobafetthotmail