The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

How About Fixing The Host Migration Problem!

Anyatta

This HOST MIGRATION bull$#@% needs to be addressed NOW.  I've submitted a ticket, I've taken your 15 different steps to address everything from submitting my EE.log and Launcher.log to changing the settings on my own router!   THIS IS NOT A USER ISSUE! I don't know how many ways myself or others can tell you this before it gets addressed.  I have host migrated out of countless missions and wasted hours of time, lost thousands in components/resources, mods and credits.   This issue should be in the forefront of your newest latest and greatest updates.  NOT in retiring health packs and weapons or encrypting your loot tables.

So, here I am, the Key carrier, the new orokin mod holder... and WHO GETS HOST MIGRATED TO THE MULTIPLAYER MENU??   Losing EVERYTHING in the process... the time, the money, the mod, the resources..

Seriously!?  

I have quit games for wasting my time .. well.. guess what this is doing?

This needs to be fixed now! Not tomorrow, not next year or at "launch" but NOW!

Warframe0031_zps283bbeff.png

Edited by Anyatta

The real question is... do they even know what is causing it?

From what I've gathered so far, no. My GF and I have had many support tickets in and every suggestion they gave we tried to no avail.

We came to the conclusion that it's not our network (tested on more than one network) but the game. Tech support had no idea on how to correct the issue.

But the issue is so common it's obviously not us. But the OP is right, DE's focus always seems to be something other than issues like this that make it difficult to even play the game.

And I'm tired of hearing "it's still in beta". LOOK, if they are taking your money then it's no longer in beta. That term is used like a magic wand to make all of player frustration go away. Game developers are a joke, look at Firefall, that game has been in beta since 2011 lol.

Edited by War-Zone

Oh boy you seriously need an chill pill.

Joke aside Host migration is usually very unpleasant most of the times just try not to be so mad

TS is absolutely right, if we play many Hours to get forward just to see it's a complete waste of Time, we have the right to be upset.

This should already have been fixed.

For my part, I stopped playing Warframe for now and wait what's in the Patch this Wednesday.

DE should be aware that here are People that payed a whole lot of Money to support Warframe

and all we have right now is a really broken Game, again...

Oh boy you seriously need an chill pill.

Joke aside Host migration is usually very unpleasant most of the times just try not to be so mad

TS is absolutely right, if we play many Hours to get forward just to see it's a complete waste of Time, we have the right to be upset.

This should already have been fixed.

For my part, I stopped playing Warframe for now and wait what's in the Patch this Wednesday.

DE should be aware that here are People that payed a whole lot of Money to support Warframe

and all we have right now is a really broken Game, again...

Here's the thing, Yes, this is a game and some may say "why get mad over a game".. but Sh0Zz makes an extremely valid and "to the point" point.  He along with a great many others have paid real money and aren't you mad when your real money goes to waste?  Aren't you angry when your time, which employers pay you for... is wasted?  The Host Migration loss of everything is a giant sink hole of time, money, resources and more.  As players and people... and for those dedicated to believe enough "Our Tenno legacy" is warped by this massive waste hole. So ya.. I get mad. Why wouldn't I?  We all should be.

This is just another Stalker-esque issue here. I remember in their Prime Time #1 they had a hiccup at the very end where Rebecca had a hard time connecting with Megan to get into a void mission, neither of them were at all 'shocked' by it (only said that they may not be able to play another game). They just blew it off like it was nothing ("what host problems?") and kept going on with the live stream. 

If the community managers won't even recognize its existence, you can bet your bottom dollar the developers are not going to either. 

This is just another Stalker-esque issue here. I remember in their Prime Time #1 they had a hiccup at the very end where Rebecca had a hard time connecting with Megan to get into a void mission, neither of them were at all 'shocked' by it (only said that they may not be able to play another game). They just blew it off like it was nothing ("what host problems?") and kept going on with the live stream. 

If the community managers won't even recognize its existence, you can bet your bottom dollar the developers are not going to either. 

LMAO  Maybe they should submit their EE.log and Launcher.log.. I still have the directions they sent me on how to find and send it to them!!

Its a feature.

Seriously though, if their own DE's can't play it even when they are supposed to be "showing it off" how do they expect to sell it as playable.  Team invites are a joke and then to host migrate on top of it all...  *hangs head* Was really liking this one too!!

It's a good game by design, but executed poorly. 

One would think they would care about the execution...   By design yes, it is a very good game.. but there are so many things left to be desired.. including the money hungry part of it.  I get that companies need to make money, that is why there is the platinum system or God forbid the monthly subscriptions... but seriously, get the game together! Make it PLAYABLE

One would think they would care about the execution...   By design yes, it is a very good game.. but there are so many things left to be desired.. including the money hungry part of it.  I get that companies need to make money, that is why there is the platinum system or God forbid the monthly subscriptions... but seriously, get the game together! Make it PLAYABLE

This game would be dead if they even conjured up the smallest hint of an idea that they wanted to make monthly subscriptions a thing.

What about fixing all the other bugs while they are at it!?

There are always going to be bugs... that's what happens when you great an extremely complex system for something like an MMO. All bugs should be addressed by level of importance first.  I get that... however, one would think after all the time they have had this game running.. the PLAYABLITLY would be first and foremost in their list of "fixes"

I'm afraid this is a symptom of the Peer 2 Peer networking model the game uses.  It essentially turns one player into the host server as well as a player client.  If that host can't handle the traffic and crashes or bails, or if the host is a douchenozzle and just bails because they didn't get what they want or something, the game has to 'migrate' the host to a new host.  Doing so takes time.  Because things like pickups and the like are stored on the host (I'm guessing at this) they don't get transferred, so you start over with the bits of information the remaining clients did have.

It's pretty much unavoidable with a P2P networking structure, so the only way DE could fix it is with expensive server hosting solutions, and they've said many times they don't have the money for that.

So, play solo, play with friends you know can host, or quit.  I don't know what else to tell you.  This isn't really something they can fix very well so long as they have to use P2P networking.

There are always going to be bugs... that's what happens when you great an extremely complex system for something like an MMO. All bugs should be addressed by level of importance first.  I get that... however, one would think after all the time they have had this game running.. the PLAYABLITLY would be first and foremost in their list of "fixes"

Agreed and understood.. but there are alot of bugs and issues the affect playability in this game besides the host migration S#&$ that goes on every so often like my game crashing twice a day since that half &#! backed 10.0.3 hotfix. Just saying... and i can relate with u.

I'm afraid this is a symptom of the Peer 2 Peer networking model the game uses.  It essentially turns one player into the host server as well as a player client.  If that host can't handle the traffic and crashes or bails, or if the host is a douchenozzle and just bails because they didn't get what they want or something, the game has to 'migrate' the host to a new host.  Doing so takes time.  Because things like pickups and the like are stored on the host (I'm guessing at this) they don't get transferred, so you start over with the bits of information the remaining clients did have.

It's pretty much unavoidable with a P2P networking structure, so the only way DE could fix it is with expensive server hosting solutions, and they've said many times they don't have the money for that.

So, play solo, play with friends you know can host, or quit.  I don't know what else to tell you.  This isn't really something they can fix very well so long as they have to use P2P networking.

Is it just me? (since my BF explained it to me) that DE created the amazing server that is being used for this?  (forgive me if I've gotten this wrong,) but I thought they were the ones that many other MMO's copied or used for their incredible MMO server.  Did they forget to use it?

Agreed and understood.. but there are alot of bugs and issues the affect playability in this game besides the host migration S#&$ that goes on every so often like my game crashing twice a day since that half &#! backed 10.0.3 hotfix. Just saying... and i can relate with u.

Sadly, many, including their own mod's can relate.  The question is.. will they do something.  I understand the P2P but there should be some kind of stabilizing agent included.  And At the VERY LEAST allow the migrated person to keep what they are currently losing!!??!!

Edited by Anyatta

And At the VERY LEAST allow the migrated person to keep what they are currently losing!!??!!

I imagine that would introduce a slurry of potential security vulnerabilities. What's to stop a savvy hacker from fooling the game into thinking it lost connection to the host, only to inject different, boosted values of X, Y or Z?

Also considering how widespread this problem is, DE is probably looking into it. Really the best course would be to submit a ticket (which you've already done) and wait until it's addressed in a patch.

It also seems like some players aren't experiencing these disconnects as well so, it's perfectly plausible that it is something on your (the user's) end that is interacting with the game badly--that isn't to say the game isn't at fault either for being susceptible to whatever is causing this. It could be third party software running in the background, some small setting on your router or network adapter like QoS or MTU size.

Be patient and help DE help you.

I imagine that would introduce a slurry of potential security vulnerabilities. What's to stop a savvy hacker from fooling the game into thinking it lost connection to the host, only to inject different, boosted values of X, Y or Z?

Also considering how widespread this problem is, DE is probably looking into it. Really the best course would be to submit a ticket (which you've already done) and wait until it's addressed in a patch.

It also seems like some players aren't experiencing these disconnects as well so, it's perfectly plausible that it is something on your (the user's) end that is interacting with the game badly--that isn't to say the game isn't at fault either for being susceptible to whatever is causing this. It could be third party software running in the background, some small setting on your router or network adapter like QoS or MTU size.

Be patient and help DE help you.

What I didn't mention is that this issue has happened not only just while I was at my BF's house sharing the same server/internet connection but also while I was at my own home on a totally different connection.  If DE was willing to work with me and War-Zone who have a unique ability to either share the same network or not they may be able to track down the silly detail that is causing this issue.  But I will quote their reply:

DE_Zorro (WARFRAME Support)

Aug 27 11:43 (EDT)

Hi Anyatta,

Thank you for the bug report! I will pass this along to the rest of the team to take a look at. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you at the moment, but we will be sure to follow up if we have any other questions.

Keep an eye on the Update notes posted in the forums to see when this bug is fixed (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/3-update-build-notes/).

Thanks again. We appreciate the report!

Posting an angry rant won't speed up how fast certain problems are addressed. 

Moved to gameplay feedback.

Thanks for F*cking up my post, this isn't an ANGRY post, this is a legit problem.  And needs to be addressed.  I will repost appropriately if need be.