Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game crashes PC, forcing it to restart

LongDongHongKong

Description: 2-15 minutes after logging in, the game crashes and restarts the PC, often with visual glitches, so i have to restart again to make my PC work normally.

Reproduction rate: Every single time I try to play.

When it started: The problem started about a week ago (before deadlock protocol). /I had similar problem in april with the scarlet spear railjack missions, but back then i could fix the problem with verifying + optimizing the download cache. But now it doesn't work. /

What I tried to solve/identify the problem:

1) Played different game modes and different warframes: Initially i thought the problem could be with Ivara prime and/or void relic missions. But then the crash happend also when i played Ash prime (however still a relic mission). I played 3-4 different mission types though. But then at an other try i got a crash some seconds after logging in, while i was still in my orbiter. So I think it's not mission type / equipment related.

2) Played other, more intensive games: This only happens when i play warframe. I played Hours of GTA V on high settings and didn't have any problem.

3) All kind of tests: I know my PC is an old abomination, so before blaming the crash on Warframe i wanted to make sure it's not because of hardware errors. I used CPU-Z benchmark to test the CPU and Heaven to test the GPU, both separately and also simultaneously. Each test was running for an hour without any problem, no overheating. I also tested the memory for about 1 hour with MemTest64 in Windows safe mode: 0 errors. Ran Chkdsk on my HDD, no problems there neither. I don't think it's hardware related problem.

4) Did everything that is written in this guidehttps://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212890418-What-should-I-do-if-my-game-keeps-crashing-  I even switched to single display setup, and used 120Hz on my monitor instead of 144Hz. Sadly it didn't solve the problem.

My PC's specs:

Motherboard:    MSI MS-7680 /MSI H61M-P21 (B3)/
CPU:                 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31220 @ 3.10GHz
RAM:                CSX 8GB DDR3 1333MHz /CSXO-D3-LO-1333-8GB/
                         KINGMAX 4GB DDR3 1333MHz /FLFF65F-D8KQ9/
GPU:                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
SSD:                Samsung SSD 650 120GB
HDD:                Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 2TB
PSU:                Chieftec GPA-500S8 (500W)
OS:                  Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.836 (1909/November 2019 Update)

Conclusion: MY PC is fine, drivers are fine, no overheating, other programs run fine, the problem must be with warframe.

Visual: Here are 2 videos of the crash happening (sorry for the quality i had to use both hands to play, so it's hard to hold the phone with my chin.)

Here playing Ivara in a relic mission:

This video shows the graphical glitches that often happen as an addition to the restart:

Edited by LongDongHongKong

I've been having the same issues it just randomly crashes after around 15 minutes or even earlier and it sometimes it restart my computer and other times it just brings me to the browser saying hard drive problems on the Warframe site my dad looked at the computer and none of the issues on the site should be causing the crashes so I have no idea what is going on and it's only been happening for about a week

In this post: 

itcsr wrote a reply how he found a temporary solution to this problem (until DE finaly fixes this bug). You need to underclock your GPU.

I tried it out yesterday: low graphic settings + underclock and i didn't get a single crash while playing for 1-2 hours. Tonight i'll try it out with my usual (custon high) graphic settings.

Anyway I hope DE finds the problem and can fix this bug. Because as I said it earlier I only have this problem with Warframe any other game or program and stress test runs smoothly.

11 hours ago, LongDongHongKong said:

In this post: 

itcsr wrote a reply how he found a temporary solution to this problem (until DE finaly fixes this bug). You need to underclock your GPU.

I tried it out yesterday: low graphic settings + underclock and i didn't get a single crash while playing for 1-2 hours. Tonight i'll try it out with my usual (custon high) graphic settings.

Anyway I hope DE finds the problem and can fix this bug. Because as I said it earlier I only have this problem with Warframe any other game or program and stress test runs smoothly.

Are you playing at an uncapped frame rate? What happens if you set the in-game FPS limit to 60 FPS? Since you're seeing graphical glitches in the OS, this looks more like a display driver crash than a game crash. Those high frame rates could be overwhelming the GPU.

22 minutes ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Are you playing at an uncapped frame rate? What happens if you set the in-game FPS limit to 60 FPS? Since you're seeing graphical glitches in the OS, this looks more like a display driver crash than a game crash. Those high frame rates could be overwhelming the GPU.

I was playing with vertical sync on, also tried to play with limiting the FPS to 120.
It could be a display driver crash, I don't know, i'm not an expert. but Warframe is suspicious to me, because as i mentioned other games, no matter how high fps and how high graphical settings i used, didn't crash. Neither a stress test.

Now i'm still playing Warframe with underclocked GPU, testing the different graphical settings, and it doesn't crash.  I did realise one weird thing though, if on the 60Hz secondary monitor i'm watching a youtube video while playing warframe, the game locks the fps to 60 (it says 60 fps, but actually it feels less).

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday night the crash happend again, but this time after playing for about 1 hour. Then i lowered the graphics, and this time that worked as a fix, the game looks like crap, but at least it's working.

Could it be because at higher settings my video card runs out of VRAM? can that crash the PC?

I don't think that your GPU runs out of VRAM.
I've got GTX 660 and on high video quality settings everything is ok - maybe fps are dropping a bit, but it doesn't crash the game.

Check your system crash logs, if you can. In my case RAM was guilty for all that crashing.