Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas for a Nyx Rework

-Oatgod-

So I was playing around with Ember Prime and the Ember rework, and I realized: Her rework is the absolute ideal for reworks in warframe. Her abilities are balanced, she's got some tankiness to her so she doesn't die, she's able to both take and deal damage- while simultaneously balancing it. So I was thinking- why should it stop there? Recently I've gotten the Pasithea Skin for Nyx, and I absolutely love it! The design is amazing and it's just a wonderful, beautiful and well done skin! But there's one problem- Nyx isn't as viable in modern warframe due to her inability to take damage, or at least reduce incoming damage. Her build is entirely predicated on avoiding even taking damage in the first place, but that's not exactly possible later on in the game, between area of effect damages and things like Arbitrations, where you can't use your abilities against enemies. So as I got thinking, I figured... why not just look at Ember's rework, and mimic it! You balance both the damage taken and dealt in order to power your abilities. My favorite thing about the Ember rework is that it doesn't rely so heavily on energy. There's a requirement, yes, but it's not like you need energy to cast.

Nyx's kit is outdated, even with the 'touch up' they did awhile back, it's essentially useless compared to other frames. Her best function is the psychic bolts and their defense removal, in my opinion. Here's my take on what a good rework for Nyx would look like:

Passive Ability:
Psychic Energy: Each enemy that dies from Nyx's abilities returns some energy to her. She expended her psychic power to manipulate their minds, and that energy returns to her in the form of a projectile after the enemy dies. Either it automatically seeks her out, or she has to go and collect it again in the form of a small projectile orbiting their corpse/death point. 

First Ability:
Psych Ward: Much like Mind Control, Nyx can cast this on an enemy and charge them up with damage, except now you recast the ability on the target to detonate them. That's a good function by itself, but it could be improved. If she casts Psych Ward on allies, they receive a damage reduction buff based on how many enemies are affected by Nyx's abilities within a certain range. If Nyx casts this without a target or perhaps with a charge cast, the damage reduction buff applies to her. (And maybe allies around her, in a short range)

Second Ability:
Obsessions/Psychic Bolts: This ability functions much like Psychic Bolts, where it strips enemy defenses. The primary change though, is that the projectile number increases based on ability range modifiers. Other changes might include that the ability naturally stuns enemies, or maybe they force enemies to fixate on Nyx's absorb, allowing her to charge up her absorb's damage easier. This should be able to be cast during Absorb. The marked targets also become priority targets for enemies affected by Chaos. 

Third Ability:
Disillusion/Chaos: Much like how chaos functions now, enemies are thrown into disarray and attack each other. However, allies and objectives are no longer noticed, allowing them to move about unnoticed in the chaos. Enemies should be stunned both at the start and end of the ability's duration. 

Fourth Ability:
Absorb: This ability used to be one of the major metas in Warframe, way back when Ember Prime was still farmed at the Orokin Derelict Defense- along with experience farming taking place there. I believe it's still a good ability, but it gets boring, waiting for enemies to come and attack you, charge up your damage- if only for a negligible amount in the end. The sad truth is that the damage that absorb puts out compared to what it receives isn't enough, in my experience- solely because what ally stops attacking enemies to help charge absorb? And enemies don't even attack it, either. The Singularity Augment only somewhat fixes this. Nyx should be able to do what Hydroid can in his puddle- draw enemies in. Aiming and "shooting" at enemies should increase her threat level, forcing them to come and attack her absorb to charge its damage, or they could just allow us to cast in absorb. One of the worst parts about absorb is how boring it gets, being unable to do anything in it but sit and wait.

Nyx is a good warframe concept, but poorly outdated in modern warframe's power creep. Having a Nyx that can do more than just slow down enemy flow without guaranteeing reduced attacks on allies/objectives... makes her feel powerless. If she were able to direct enemies, even with loose commands such as attracting them to absorb or telling them to attack each other and clump up, I feel like she'd be much more viable and less of a pain to her teammates. She should work with her team and with herself.