Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Option for First Person Camera

Jax_Cavalera

There are a number of players such as myself, who would like to see a first person camera option introduced to the game.

Here are a few reasons why this is good for the game:

1. Reduced potential for triggering motion sickness
  2. Improved handling when backed into tight corners and spaces
    • No longer having your camera view blocked by this bulky avatar will allow for new play styles previously not possible

3. Increased immersion into the game
    • Seeing things behind an avatar puts you 1 level removed from the action
    • There are some experiences you cannot have while in Third Person. i.e. sneaking to a corner and hearing an enemy approaching.. you can only go off the sound and potentially shadows to judge if it's safe to peek.  In Third Person, you just rotate the camera and see lowering the threat factor

4. General reduction in visual noise
    • Competitive gamers will often drop off most of the bells and whistles in a first person shooter so they can easily spot enemies.
    • Settings like motion blur, depth of field and bloom are the first to go. Next are things like dropping game resolution, lowering texture detail and avatar details to increase FPS.. as they say "frames get's frags"
    • People interested in first person for competitive reasons are not that fussed about absolute graphical fidelity

The most common arguments I've seen against adding this are:

1. It will cause motion sickness with all the flips, rolls and parkour.
    • Keep the camera steady and let their avatar do the flips similar to GTA when you do a jump from height you can choose to roll the camera with the avatar or to have just the avatar do the roll and camera remains unaffected
    • Only move into First Person when aiming (as a secondary toggle.. for some this will be better for others worse depending on what triggers motion sickness)

2. Graphics will be glitchy
    • Players after this kind of feature are likely less interested in graphical fidelity and more interested in being able to play the game without getting sick full stop.
    • As the option for First Person grows in popularity, DE could work at resolving some of the bigger graphical glitches experienced.

3. Aim of some weapons will not be on target correctly
    • If this is the case, then why not roll it out starting with weapons that don't have this issue
    • Introduce a few of the most popular weapons in the game when it goes live
    • As it grows in popularity, roll out more weapons with target correction when used in First Person

p.s. Just because years ago DE said No to this, doesn't mean they shouldn't reconsider the health and well-being of their growing player-base.

Unlikely to happen. For starters, the addiction of a First Person requires a lot of work and effort by the devs, which are focused on bringing new content/rework older content. Warframe has almost 400 diferent guns, if a First Person mode were to be added the amout of work is simply not worth it. Personally I wouldn't mind a First Person camera but adding this camera mode can be completely useless, simply because some players just prefer third person and the amount of work invested would simply be wasted. I understand than some players experience motion sickness but what about Railjack? In the first mission I felt kinda dizzy but if it was in First Person I think it would be as bad or worst. So no, very unlikely to happen. 

23 minutes ago, BossPontes888 said:

Unlikely to happen. For starters, the addiction of a First Person requires a lot of work and effort by the devs, which are focused on bringing new content/rework older content. Warframe has almost 400 diferent guns, if a First Person mode were to be added the amout of work is simply not worth it. Personally I wouldn't mind a First Person camera but adding this camera mode can be completely useless, simply because some players just prefer third person and the amount of work invested would simply be wasted. I understand than some players experience motion sickness but what about Railjack? In the first mission I felt kinda dizzy but if it was in First Person I think it would be as bad or worst. So no, very unlikely to happen. 

If it were for just the top 10 weapons, would be more or less work than:

• What was involved in creating that guitar thing a handful of players use and the entourage of skins they worked on following the initial implementation of it.
  • The snowboards (k-drive) that barely get used VS their far more efficient archwing counterpart for getting around open world maps
  • Raids that were later removed again from the game.
  • etc.

DE have proven they aren't afraid of adding in new features to the game only for them to be underused, and in some cases completely removed again from the game. Waste isn't likely a strong motivation for them to avoid doing this given the track record of countless features they've invested time and money into that get little to no play time from the community. Even now I disable most of their special effects.. simply to reduce the visual noise so i can farm better and play longer without feeling motion sick.

My wife can't even play the game due to motion sickness caused by the parallax issues with the static avatar vs moving background, first person would be a game changer for her quite literally. I would imagine the investment risk for the top 10 weapons is no different to the features we've seen tossed aside by DE and/or the community in the past and it has the potential to greatly improve the health and well-being of their game plus expand to a wider demographic of users.

Practically speaking, those benefits could be garnished for cheap with:

1. A positioning of the current very, very close to the Warframe (borderline on top)

2. Making the Warframe invisible (as sniper scopes and mining scopes already do)

It misses out on weapon models, but if people are fine with that to start with, you can get a pretty decent first-person-esque camera mode with very minimal effort.

5 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

Practically speaking, those benefits could be garnished for cheap with:

1. A positioning of the current very, very close to the Warframe (borderline on top)

2. Making the Warframe invisible (as sniper scopes and mining scopes already do)

It misses out on weapon models, but if people are fine with that to start with, you can get a pretty decent first-person-esque camera mode with very minimal effort.

Yep it would certainly be a good starting point to better understand if it can help improve the health issues experienced and would be low investment.

Archived