Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Unbalance

ArchReaper95

I don't have a favorite gun. I play game's like Mass Effect and Warframe, and even CoD because I like having a wide variety of tools for the job. I see a lot of high level players wielding the Soma in a manner that essentially makes it a wunderwaffe. Enemies that are supposed to be even moderately difficult are cut down like butter. I walk into a T3 with the expectation that a strong balance of power use and varied weaponry will be needed to have the team punch through, and instead spend my time chasing after the guy with a Soma. It simply makes the game not fun to play when someone can use a machine gun and one shot enemies that are supposed to be somewhat difficult to kill. It is not as if I see a large stream of powerful weapons that I wish to obtain, with pro's and con's to each. The Soma is accurate as it needs to be, lethal very rapidly, and can be modded just right to make every other player that doesn't have a perfectly modded Soma obsolete, and that is not productive to the game community. If the players who don't have well modded Soma's aren't having fun whenever those wonderguns are in use, they won't stick around long enough to make one of their own. I don't want the Soma to be made obsolete or nerfed down to be like every other gun, but the way it is now, I don't enjoy a match whenever someone in the lobby has one.

Go solo. if the soma was to disappear the acrid would be most used, then supra, then despair, then kunai. The list keeps going.

The soma is fine as is. it's when you know, players have end game gear and mods that the soma becomes a monster.. Which any weapon should, especially if it's mastery locked (rather low as that may be though)

Edited by Krovakon

All guns are effective, you just need to learn how to build it right.

I.e. i have my mk1 Braton "beginner gun" and thought hmm sense it's the highest accuracy bullet type gun in the game

then it could have the best potential with full serration and heavy caliber mod.

Heavy caliber lowers accuracy but sense the mk1 has %40 to start off with it makes it the best weapon to use it with.

plus the mk1 has another advantage and that's crit damage which = win,win.

I played a round with a guy on outer terminus and challenged him to see if his ignis could beat my mk1,

I took one side of the pod and he took the other and in the end damage dealt was me %63 and him %37.

That's a big difference and i know there are some variables as to what build he had and his short range but wow!

Go solo. if the soma was to disappear the acrid would be most used, then supra, then despair, then kunai. The list keeps going.

The soma is fine as is. it's when you know, players have end game gear and mods that the soma becomes a monster.. Which any weapon should, especially if it's mastery locked (rather low as that may be though)

Except that the Soma is no-where near to qualify as end-game gear.

I've used 2-3 forma on mine so with that said plenty of other weapons I own out perform it to the point that it barely keeps up with them. My Synapse wipes the floor with everything currently (putting 5 forma into it helps) so I'm struggling to see how you've come to your opinion regarding the Soma.

To be perfectly honest It's not as powerful as you're making it out to be and its probably more to do with the players ability to aim for crit points, I'd suggest working on your own play style so you don't fall behind or browse the wiki for better builds on your current gear. I know how elitist this sounds but I'm trying to give constructive criticism/feedback not be an elitist jerk.

Edited by Temporary

No it will, ironically, make the Soma even more powerful since it doesn't deal Armour Ignorning damage now. Armour scaling is the only thing effectively holding the Soma back.

Armor scaling doesn't even really hold the Soma back, as the Armor Piercing damage it deals is enough to out-DPS almost every single rifle focused on DPS in the game. The only possible exceptions include the Synapse and Hind, but they have their own problems that make the Soma generally superior.

Armor scaling doesn't even really hold the Soma back, as the Armor Piercing damage it deals is enough to out-DPS almost every single rifle focused on DPS in the game. The only possible exceptions include the Synapse and Hind, but they have their own problems that make the Soma generally superior.

And yet we have people (in this very thread no less!) who defend it.

L-to-the-O-to-the-L

Soma > Warframe

its sad, its true. all I can say is, hope Soma gets a low elemental proc rate in armor 2.0. either way, stop using the soma and use whatever you want.

Ignore the Rhino or Nova/Soma/Acrid/Galantine builds. They are so mindless and cookie cutter, they may as well be bots.

Nyx/Ignis/Seer/Glaive FTW

In my opinion every mission type (maybe even mission) should make you think about what kind of weapon to use is best. There are so many weapons in warframe and almost every weapon is just de-classified by the soma no matter if you have to fight close range or long range.

I love to play rhino. I love close range combat. I'm on the train and use the soma.

Edited by bWild

Sadly, it is not a problem with just a soma. we're in a situation of general imbalance of weapons and frames.
But nerfing the Soma or any other weapons or frames right now would not make any sense.

First we need armor 2.0, then some changes to the energy system, and finally a general balancing. It is a huge work, but a necessary one as right now some loadouts allow to crush everything or near-everything with ease, even what is supposed to be hard, thus making the game extremely boring and uberfacerolling (yes I'm making up words but hey, you get the idea).

In my opinion every mission type (maybe even mission) should make you think about what kind of weapon to use is best.

That is where they are going. The livestream confirmed some sort of Pokemonesque damage system with a lot more damage types than what we have now and each type will be Super Effective, Normal or Not Very Effetctive... against certain enemies.

My problem with the Soma is that it has everything in addition to damage. 

Accuracy? Check.

Large clip? Check. 

Reload speed? Not the best, but it will do.

Two polarities right out the box? Check. 

Recoil? What recoil?

Firing speed? Check. 

It's just so good it's ridiculous. My Grakata doesn't even have nearly as much damage but the spread is much crazier, without talking about the recoil.  

It's just so good it's ridiculous. My Grakata doesn't even have nearly as much damage but the spread is much crazier, without talking about the recoil.  

well soma is designed to be top tier while grakata is low tier.

I use the Soma because I fell in love with its appearance. I don't understand the reasoning behind her sheer power and am honestly not comfortable with how I'm destroying T3(armour piercing is all you need) and Conclaves with her, but hey, I enjoy using a beautiful gun. I dunno about a nerf, but sure do hope that Armour 2.0 brings the other guns up to par.

Oh and if anyone has problems with Soma's ammo efficiency, use the gun like a Latron Prime and there won't be any problems. Ammo boxes and Mutation not even remotely necessary.

well soma is designed to be top tier while grakata is low tier.

Well, the Soma beats the Clan Research weapons, which are also supposedly top-tier. Refer to this list:

My problem with the Soma is that it has everything in addition to damage. 

Accuracy? Check.

Large clip? Check. 

Reload speed? Not the best, but it will do.

Two polarities right out the box? Check. 

Recoil? What recoil?

Firing speed? Check. 

And as a small addendum while adding insult upon injury, the Soma also has a low Mastery Rank (will be raised in the future).

Well, the Soma beats the Clan Research weapons, which are also supposedly top-tier. Refer to this list:

And as a small addendum while adding insult upon injury, the Soma also has a low Mastery Rank (will be raised in the future).

my Strunt wraith is not beaten by Soma not in damage or dps and not in bullet efficiency

and im fine if it will be mastery rank 8 so there will be nothing more to complain about the tier system.

The problem is, where do you even go from there? 

If the top-tier weapon is a market weapon that does everything and is the best at it, why even bother with anything else that is simply downgrade? 

Just the two polarities is a slap to the face to anyone who worked on their weapons. Do you know how badly my Grakata needed a V polarity to be any kind of relevant? And now, Soma comes in and have 2 polarity slapped on top of it's stupidly good stats. 

(My Grakata is just an example, I am not crusading for it to get a buff) 

my Strunt wraith is not beaten by Soma not in damage or dps and not in bullet efficiency

and im fine if it will be mastery rank 8 so there will be nothing more to complain about the tier system.

The Strun Wraith may win at damage per shot/bullet efficency, but the Soma is the king of DPS for primaries (excluding the Synapse and Hind if they are not hindered by their own issues).

Complaints will still exist because the Soma still beats its primary peers within any currently existing tier.

The Strun Wraith may win at damage per shot/bullet efficency, but the Soma is the king of DPS for primaries (excluding the Synapse and Hind if they are not hindered by their own issues).

Complaints will still exist because the Soma still beats its primary peers within any currently existing tier.

i dont know where you have this information from but its wrong about the DPS

S.Wraith also wins in DPS as when i onload my full magazine i do more dps in the same time as soma

not counting the reloading time here but usually 10 bullets are enough for any lvl 130 enemy

here is a weapon benchmark only acrid beat s.wraith by some miliseconds:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/89592-unofficial-weapon-benchmark/

Edited by zzang