Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Unbalance

ArchReaper95

well soma is designed to be top tier while grakata is low tier.

There is not much of a gap between tier 1 and tier 3. But there is a big gap between the soma and other weapons of any kind of tier. The concept to seperate the different weapons into tiers makes sense if they are sorted correctly. However, the soma is a very good example that sorting things out can be very hard. 

In fact I dont like the idea to just use weapons as "Dummys" to upgrade to a new weapon tier. Every weapon should be usefull in certain situations. I am dreaming of a weapon stock that supports tactical decisions. 

If you think in the long term, when tiers gets higher and higher players have to claim the highest tier to get the best weapon. As a player i would never use a potato for a weapon when i know there is something better. This results into mission runs where one guy carry the rest of the team with the one ultimative super weapon while the others level there "Dummys" to get the highest tier. 

Edited by bWild

There is not much of a gap between tier 1 and tier 3. But there is a big gap between the soma and other weapons of any kind of tier.

If you think in the long term, when tiers gets higher and higher players have to claim the highest tier to get the best weapon. As a player i would never use a potato for a weapon when i know there is something better. This results into mission runs where one guy carry the rest of the team with the one ultimative super weapon while the others level there "Dummys" to get the highest tier. 

about this again wrong information acrid and s.wraith beat the soma and as it looks like the sobek aswell.

and about the other quoted part a system of sidegrades where every weapon is equal just wont work in the long run

i see a system with constant upgrades more successful in future than a boring system of equality

of course its something different to have just one weapon to choose from rifles instead of lets say 3 good rifles that behave different but are in top tier

all i can say is wait for the next heavy gun (gorgon replacement)

Edited by zzang

wait for armor 2.0 and things will cool down alot, the OP weapons wont be as OP they are right now, but of course they will have their advantages, but the thing is, all weapons will have an advantage of their own

As I pointed out, reducing Armour scaling will make the Soma even more powerful.

And if the critical chance stays the same and that the new elemental effects are based on critical chances, Soma will become off-the-chart OP.

This isn't even addressing the other stats that do absolutely jack-all to limit the Soma's DPS. Synapse, Flux, Hind and even Strun Wraith have built-in limiters to their high potency. The first two and the latter are limited by range while the third is limited by it's burst fire/semi auto property.

Edited by Kinperor

Armor 2.0 will solve nothing

You have literally a rifle with NO drawback.NONE.You got more than enough of every single stat a gun needs.What were the devs thinking before introducing this thing?

Good damage ,nice ,it's a battle rifle

Great RoF and good damage,wait,it's a fast high cal rifle!
Great RoF ,good damage and huge magazine,wait,it's a machine gun!

Great RoF,good damage,huge magazine and great accuracy,wait,it's an accurate high cal machine gun!
Great RoF,good damage,huge magazine,great accuracy,no recoil and best crit chance? It's soma!

This thing needs its damage cut at least in half.Yes i said it,in half.No matter how bad it may sound to you,i assure you ,it will still be more than viable

You have literally a rifle with NO drawback.NONE.You got more than enough of every single stat a gun needs.What were the devs thinking before introducing this thing?

Great RoF,good damage,huge magazine and great accuracy,wait,it's an accurate high cal machine gun!

Great RoF,good damage,huge magazine,great accuracy,no recoil and best crit chance? It's soma!

This thing needs its damage cut at least in half.Yes i said it,in half.No matter how bad it may sound to you,i assure you ,it will still be more than viable

this is your opinion

my opinion is soma is a perfectly designed top tier weapon we just need some more top tier rifles to have some diversity like a new heavy rifle

Good because that was a silly idea. Only a select few weapons are "critical weapons".

I personally led a campaign to make sure elemental procs weren't tied to crits. Not sure if it helped or not, but based on the literal way it was written on the spreadsheet "elemental procs are no longer tied to crit rate" it seems like something changed their mind.

https://forums.warfr...3-armor-20-doa/

This is off topic (sorry) but we should just have one thread where people can whine and argue all they want. I'm tired of seeing all these nerf pl0x posts when DE already stated that the soma is working as it should and will be raised regarding mastery requirement. Obviously real problems with the gun and how it is performing would still be a separate topic.

this is your opinion

my opinion is soma is a perfectly designed top tier weapon we just need some more top tier rifles to have some diversity like a new heavy rifle

I can't believe I'm on your side this time. 

Soma is a top tier rifle, it only seems OP because the top tier hasn't been filled yet for primaries. 

There's event exclusives, Straith in particular, and Soma. That's it really. So if you've missed the events, your end goal primary is the Soma, unless you intend on maining Volt and in that case Synapse, which is so heavily grindlocked that Soma might be better for you any ways. 

For secondaries you have Despair, and Acrid. Both of which are a lot harder to obtain, and therefore are less common and at least have each other to compete against. not to mention just about any secondary will cut it later on because of how ridiculously good the mods are. 

Soma is in a class of its own, the top primary class, but its not op. 

i dont know where you have this information from but its wrong about the DPS

S.Wraith also wins in DPS as when i onload my full magazine i do more dps in the same time as soma

not counting the reloading time here but usually 10 bullets are enough for any lvl 130 enemy

here is a weapon benchmark only acrid beat s.wraith by some miliseconds:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/89592-unofficial-weapon-benchmark/

I'm deriving the conclusions from theoretical DPS spreadsheets that have been made in the forums, not from an unfair "kill the boss as fast as possible" series of videos. Also, TTK is a terrible way to measure DPS since the Lanka can kill bosses in one shot given the right abilities and the Acrid's DPS is back-ended due to Poison DOTs.

I'm deriving the conclusions from theoretical DPS spreadsheets that have been made in the forums, not from an unfair "kill the boss as fast as possible" series of videos. Also, TTK is a terrible way to measure DPS since the Lanka can kill bosses in one shot given the right abilities and the Acrid's DPS is back-ended due to Poison DOTs.

i think the weapon benchmark with the bosskill is a example from the reality while the dps spreadsheet is either faked or just doesnt work out like in the theoretical spreadsheet. As i can tell my guildies take longer to kill a lvl 130gunner/ancient with soma than i take with s.wraith/acrid.

Well, the Soma beats the Clan Research weapons, which are also supposedly top-tier. Refer to this list:

And as a small addendum while adding insult upon injury, the Soma also has a low Mastery Rank (will be raised in the future).

Doesn't beat the Swraith, Ogris, Acrid, or Synapse, so not exactly correct in a unilateral fashion, is it.

Edited by -Kittens-

i think the weapon benchmark with the bosskill is a example from the reality while the dps spreadsheet is either faked or just doesnt work out like in the theoretical spreadsheet. As i can tell my guildies take longer to kill a lvl 130gunner/ancient with soma than i take with s.wraith/acrid.

It's not a very good example then. Like I stated before, many of the good sniping weapons can easily take down bosses with one shot, beating the other classes due to the differences between front-ended and back-ended DPS as well as DPH.

What do your guildies even have on their Soma builds, and what build are you using for the Strun Wraith? The Acrid does beat the Soma, but we're comparing primaries (more specifically, any AR focusing on DPS).

Doesn't beat the Swraith, Ogris, Acrid, or Synapse, so not exactly correct in a unilateral fashion, is it.

Like I stated before, the Soma is the king of the primaries that focus on DPS. The Strun Wraith is a shotgun, the Acrid is a secondary, and the Ogris is a rocket launcher. The Synapse, while possibly dealing more DPS with the inferior critical stats, is hindered by armor. 

Edited by ChaoticVice777

gosh...just simply dont use it if it pisses you off that much

this is your opinion

The fact that there is a "top tier" proves that itself that weapons are imbalanced.They are supposed to be sidegrades,not upgrades,except from prime versions

Edited by VodkaGR

Well at least when they raise the mastery rank requirement there'll be a little soothing of ruffled feathers.

But I don't see every frame in game using it anyway. And packing a Soma doesn't mean you'll win the mission regardless. The devs also said it's working as it should. Can't find the link but they did.

Soma should be an acronym of something badass and hated. S.O.M.A.

The fact that there is a "top tier" proves that itself that weapons are imbalanced.They are supposed to be sidegrades,not upgrades,except from prime versions

I don't know where have you been but devs decided to drop the sidegrades model in favor of tiered model so upgrades are to be expected.

Although all this *@##$ing and crying on forums made devs aware that Soma is actually a fun weapon to use and now it's most likely gonna be nerfed (or as devs said "looked at") along with Nova

It's a pretty simple concept:

As enemy level increases in difficulty, so must the modular loadout of your weapon in terms of power,

Some modular loadouts will be hindered by the maximum performance of a weapon,

Weapons will need to have higher top-end performance as a result.

That being said, Soma is engineered to express what a top-end crit modular loadout can attain in terms of dps with [damage type: bullet]. Synapse is engineered similarly, however, due to the electrical damage, it actually enters as a niche weapon against mobs that take more damage from electricity e.g. corpus. Strun Wraith is also a niche weapon because it's not always smart to get in so close to maximize the damage potential of a shotgun. The weapons become dependent on the situation, unlike Soma, which is general purpose rather than niche.

That's not saying other weapons dont need fixing, they do, a lot... however it's unfair to call Soma OP when you're really comparing not apples or oranges... but apples and oranges to something like a banana (haha), they all really fit their own role, and you should look into having an array of weapons to perform equally well on all situations. You know what you're going in on, and you should be able to plan accordingly.