Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Upnp ?

Code993x

Question

Hi I wana ask a question what is UPnP i saw it in a game options menu . If i got this enabled i cant play online whit people

Soo i had to turn this off ... Anyway what is this ? what does do if i got it off or on?

OH and if i want to host a game i need this enabled or not?

2 answers to this question

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. UPnP is intended primarily for residential networks without enterprise class devices.

From Wiki

You can turn it off, but you will have to port forward the appropriate ports to be able to host. If your router supports UPnP, there isn't any reason not to use it. Assuming of course you have a router, if the internet is going directly into your computer, then you just need to do the firewall on your own machine, but windows implicitly supports UPnP I think, so you still will just have it easier if you leave it on. I believe you should still be able to join with it off however, typically ports need only be opened to connect in not out.