Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tribes: Ascend

Seraph117

People still play this? I heard it was dead as doorknobs

Hi-rez screwed it up pretty badly anyways.

What are you talking about. You can almost always get a full server on any game mode.

As for Hi-Rez screwing it up, I haven't played any other tribes games, but this one is challenging and entertaining.

That must be the original Tribes. Tribes:Ascend is a fairly popular, fun game.

What are you talking about. You can almost always get a full server on any game mode.

As for Hi-Rez screwing it up, I haven't played any other tribes games, but this one is challenging and entertaining.

-Increasingly stupid and unbalanced weapons as game progressed

-Devs no longer have any major updates planned - all attention turned to smite

-Not even on top 100 of steam daily players (not sure how to look up specific game stats but I'd take this to mean at any give time there would be less than 800 people, possibly much less, on ALL OF STEAM playing T:A at any given time - then split those between different regions and such). Not exactly a strong playerbase, and it isn't growing either. I know there are non-steam players but it would account for a sizable portion of the playerbase

-Don't know about competitive play/ESL or w/e but I doubt there is much/any of it going on at all.

This isn't just my opinion either. A bit of googling will show the general consensus is that the game is 'dead' in some sense and after release took a turn for the worse in the game direction (incidentally, around the same time smite started becoming very popular). 

So, I stand by my statement that the game is dead, in the sense that there is a small, dwindling playerbase of dedicated players and the game is no longer supported by the developers beyond keeping the servers running.

Edited by Segolia

A: Don't trust the steam stats. They only document players who use steam.

B: The broken weapons have been either nerfed into fairness or the ground. Honestly, the game doesn't really need more content as far as weaponry goes. More maps would be nice, and the devs ARE working on a community map builder and have introduced the first community built map already (Stonehenge)

C: Have you seen the game of the year edition thing? That has got to be the best deal in an optional pay game I have ever seen. Thirty bucks for what might be almost a hundred dollars in micropayments? That is one heck of a deal.

D: There is not another game anything like this one. It's amazing due to it's unique nature and the fact that it actually requires skill. None of this everything is hitscan, you die in two seconds, or one hit kill sniper crap. You have to learn this game, and that's what makes it good. 

Edited by Seraph117

Tribes: Ascend was fun while it lasted. I got a bit of a notorious reputation as a quote "$&*^head pubstomping Sentinel". 

The $&*^head part was a joke. I only played on pubs, and people hated me when I played SEN.

In all honesty though, it's not going to last.

It's already pretty much dead in Oceania.

Hi-Rez utterly screwed up the game.

They have stated there are no major updates coming anytime soon. Which means no weapons, no maps, no pack items etc.

A F2P game without content? Not gonna happen.

A: Don't trust the steam stats. They only document players who use steam.

B: The broken weapons have been either nerfed into fairness or the ground. Honestly, the game doesn't really need more content as far as weaponry goes. More maps would be nice, and the devs ARE working on a community map builder and have introduced the first community built map already (Stonehenge)

C: Have you seen the game of the year edition thing? That has got to be the best deal in an optional pay game I have ever seen. Thirty bucks for what might be almost a hundred dollars in micropayments? That is one heck of a deal.

D: There is not another game anything like this one. It's amazing due to it's unique nature and the fact that it actually requires skill. None of this everything is hitscan, you die in two seconds, or one hit kill sniper crap. You have to learn this game, and that's what makes it good. 

A: True. But, a very large chunk of the playerbase plays through Steam.

B: That's true that they were nerfed. But, when they constantly released OP weapons, only to nerf them a couple of weeks later, that drove a S#&$load of players away.

Last I heard, the devs were thinking about a community map tool. But, then they said it probably won't happen, with the way the game works.

Stonehenge wasn't a community built map. It was a classic map that the community asked to be remade.

C: Yep, the GoTY is a good deal. It was Hi-Rez's last resort to bring some revenue into the game before they cancelled the content updates.

D: Also true.

But, just because it's unique doesn't mean it automatically is a 10/10. Hi-Rez completely #*($%%@ up the game, which was a massive disappointment for everyone who had played the previous games.

It's great that it requires skill, but Hi-Rez #*($%%@ over the community big time. I don't want to get into everything they did. But, they did enough to effectively kill the game.

i loved the original tribes and tribes 2.

i tried to get into ascend (and did for a little while) 

but the HOLYCRAPZOOOOOOOMMMM!! aspect of it just got old after awhile.

the original games were far more complex and entertaining.

honestly, firefall "feels" more like original tribes to me than ascend ever did.

all that said, yeah, the community is in shambles and HiRez has all but abandoned it.