Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vallis lockups (and a bonus question)

SimilarMcM

Mostly as a FYI, since I can't see a pattern so far, but I've had the game lockup completely twice in a few days while doing stuff in Vallis. The kind of lockups that require a reboot, because the Task Manager doesn't show, alt-F4 doesn't work, etc.

I should mention that I've had maybe 5-6 crashes/lockups in the 3700 hours I've played, so this seems unusual.

Unfortunately, one lockup happened just when a Corpus put up an alert beacon and the other happened as I entered the Fortuna gate to leave the map, so there's not much to go by. I was solo both times.

Bonus question:

On the last lockup I lost scans of 14 Solaris fragments (which really motivates me to do them...) and whatever standing I'd earned from kills while I'd been doing the scans. I kind of thought that, especially in open world, the game saved that sort of thing frequently. It clearly doesn't, but what does it save then?

10 hours ago, SimilarMcM said:

Mostly as a FYI, since I can't see a pattern so far, but I've had the game lockup completely twice in a few days while doing stuff in Vallis. The kind of lockups that require a reboot, because the Task Manager doesn't show, alt-F4 doesn't work, etc.

That sounds more like PC or Windows issues than specific WF ones. Task Manager and the ALT+F4 functionality are part of Windows. So if those aren't even cooperating then things are really borked. Yes WF can be really hung up, but if just that was badly hung up then both of those should work after a few moments.

Try checking the game cache from the launcher, doing a disk scan in Windows, or running SFC in windows to check for system file corruption.

12 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

That sounds more like PC or Windows issues than specific WF ones. Task Manager and the ALT+F4 functionality are part of Windows. So if those aren't even cooperating then things are really borked. Yes WF can be really hung up, but if just that was badly hung up then both of those should work after a few moments.

I usually alt-tab to desktop when something locks up to see how bad it is. With these two last WF lockups I get a blank desktop, no icons, but the task bar is still there and when I start task manager, I can see that it's running, but I can't get to its window. Nor can I return to WF (and right-click -> Close Window on the WF icon in the bar doesn't do anything).

It's sort of like Windows just completely gives up on showing windows/screens.

12 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Try checking the game cache from the launcher, doing a disk scan in Windows, or running SFC in windows to check for system file corruption.

Tried those, plus a RAM check, but nothing was found. Which of course doesn't rule out some problem, but at least there isn't anything really obvious.

How much memory and/or HD space do you have? If things are hung up and it's struggling to page stuff in and out of virtual memory that can make switching worse. Obviously the open areas of the game need more memory than smaller corridors where it can pull stuff in and dump it as needed and there are more repeated textures.

Archived