The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Fire Interesting (An Ember Rework)

PenutReaper

So, after talking about ability synergy with WingedSwine during a game of survival, we began discussing a possible rework for Ember. The frame we feel has the least synergy in her abilities. 

The basic idea behind our Ember rework is that when Ember is surrounded by enemies on fire, her abilities get stronger.

Fireball: Deals fire damage over time, much in the same way as it does now. However, unlike the current fireball, the new fireball would "explode" after a few seconds, dealing fire damage in an area.

Overheat: Deals no damage. Damage reduction is not increased by power strength, instead, the more enemies on fire within range, the more damage reduction you get, up to a cap. I would suggest the base damage reduction to be around 50%.

Fireblast: Sets all enemies in an area on fire, dealing moderate fire damage over time for a few seconds.

World On Fire: Deals fire damage in an area, but does not set enemies on fire. If any enemy in the range of the ability is on fire when the ability is cast, they will "explode" deal additional fire damage in a small area. The range of the "explosions" would be considerably smaller than the ability range.

Feel free to leave any feedback/constructive criticism.

Edited by PenutReaper

Based on the new system, "blast" damage type is going to be what happens when fire and cold mix.

Scott is pretty insistant on the fact that Armor 2.0 is going to "touch everything" so I have a feeling that Ember's abilities will not be able to cause "explosions." 

However, this is of course speculation.

Based on the new system, "blast" damage type is going to be what happens when fire and cold mix.

Scott is pretty insistant on the fact that Armor 2.0 is going to "touch everything" so I have a feeling that Ember's abilities will not be able to cause "explosions." 

I used the term explosion just to mean an AoE in this thread.

My own fault, I should have explained better.

Ice + Fire = Blast? Where did you obtain this info?

how to make ember's abilities more than just 4 different abilities that all do the same thing:

fireball - largely the same, direct dmg from impact but with a longer dot dmg effect AND a much larger aoe around the original target

overheat - im quite fine with the idea of a mild aoe dot dmg combined with a high dmg resistance, maybe have the dmg resistance cap lower or adjust over time, ie heat up, so the dmg resistance gets higher the longer the ability lasts

fire blast - decent impact dmg at first, then mild dot dmg for anyone entering the space, ADDITIONALLY any enemies to enter the aoe will have a stacking armor debuff applied to them while they remain in the area

world on fire - totally overhaul, ember moves 5/10/15/20% faster while WOF is on, all her abilities last twice as long, do dbl dmg, and cost half as much energy, lasts for 9/13/16/18 secs

WOF is now no longer a "press 4 and win/afk" button but a super-boost to her 1-2-3, making her for a short duration a fiery whirlwind of activity, with overheat on and throwing fire blasts down and fireballs all over the place