The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Idea] Crossbow Primary With Bayonet

Pretzellis

Weapon Name:  Polioris

The Polioris would be exactly as my title states.  What I would have always loved to see in Warframe would be (in contrast to the Ballistica, which fills a different niche)  a giant, siege-like 'railgun' of a crossbow which is capable of firing high-velocity, penetrating bolts.  These bolts would act as the projectiles of bolt weapons do (obviously) and would also have the bonus effect of innately puncturing through any enemy they encounter.   Another feature of this weapon would be a large, lance-like bayonet which is capable of extending and retracting.  With the bayonet, a warframe can perform manoeuvres comparable to those done with a lance or halberd.  

Seeing as this would be a primary weapon with melee functionality, I'll explain how it might work in-game.  Basically, the firing and bayonet-ing of this weapon would be separate functions, each executable in a slightly different way; while the firing and reloading of the crossbow would be governed by normal keypresses, meleeing with it would require a charging functionality separate from the firing mode.  

EXAMPLES of Gameplay:  

- Left-clicking fires the crossbow.  R reloads it.        

- Holding left click will extend and deploy the lance-bayonet.  With the bayonet active, a warframe cannot roll, use melee weapons, or wallrun.   However, with it available you can hold right click and sprint to charge.  Sprinting into enemies will deal high damage based on speed and can impale them.

- Note that you would be able to do both of these at once!  While charging with the bayonet, you can fire the weapon into oncoming enemies.  You are also able to use the bayonet even if the crossbow needs reloading.  

- The crossbow has 1 shot per clip, medieval style.  It takes an immense amount of time (i.e like 5 seconds) to reload it.  However, the extreme amount of magnetic torsion energy (a la the Paris) that is expended to fire the bolt is so large that the bolt will do more damage per shot than any weapon currently in the game.

Before you say this isn't very ninja-like, I'll have you know that this weapon is intended to fill a role similar to a non-AoE Ogris (an existing rocket launcher).  I personally think this would be freaking awesome and really fun to use.

And that's it!  Let me know what you guys think!       

Edited by -CM-MetaMeta

What if you had this fill both the primary and melee slots, and have two mod pages. Then you could customize the bayonet and the crossbow to your heart's content

That's an idea, but the technical and contextual crap that would arise from that would be immense.  It also kinda breaks the Warframe weapon ecosystem of having three weapons to use.  

EDIT: Not to mention that the bayonet is a limited-use melee weapon.  It can be extended to full use if I desired, but the fact that it's tied inextricably to the crossbow would make turning it into a full melee weapon weird.

Edited by -CM-MetaMeta

the idea of a heavy crossbow with long reload but high damage would be pretty much a boss killer weapon I'd say. interesting, but it would have to be carefully balanced

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  Paired with Banshee it would be insanely good, but in order to make any good use of it otherwise you'd need to line up enemies and skewer them with bolts or the bayonet. 

EDIT:  And DPS-wise, the long reload might offset many things when it comes to killing bosses.  Sure, bringing a maxed one to Vor would kill him really fast, but so would a fully modded Grakata.

Edited by -CM-MetaMeta

Why don't we just make a bayonet that takes up the melee slot, and can be attached to any primary weapon? Then, you can mod each individually, and when you press E, there's just a simple stabbing animation. Ta-da, 3 weapons, also gets rid of that funny "weapon teleports to hand and I'm already swinging" thing that happens.

Why don't we just make a bayonet that takes up the melee slot, and can be attached to any primary weapon? Then, you can mod each individually, and when you press E, there's just a simple stabbing animation. Ta-da, 3 weapons, also gets rid of that funny "weapon teleports to hand and I'm already swinging" thing that happens.

Yeah, that'd be really cool.  It's a touchy decision to make though when it comes to some weapons like the Paris, Miter or Dread.  Up to DE how much they want to deviate from the individualized 3 weapon system, I guess.