Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Different Melee Patterns

Blackchaosvortex

I'll just keep it real simple, so right now we just have standard melee patterns

A blade goes left, right,... and repeat

An axe has five swings but that also repeats at a certain point

And so on...

I just want to suggest that there can be more melee patterns

For example a blade: instead of just bashing e,e,e,e,e,e -> e,e, pause e,e,e or e, pause, e, e, e (yes it's from DMC)

Or maybe something with holding E down... also an option.

I heard in the livestream that combos are something they cant do because of the fixed camera and it doesnt need to be keyboard acrobatics...

And personally it doesnt need to be a full devil may cry experience but different melee patterns

would give a lot of variety and more ways to combine with the ground kill moves.

Edited by Blackchaosvortex

Add another button for melee. Make it a modifier so if you press it and/or hold at different times while repeatedly pressing the standard melee button, it will produce different attacks, or counters and parries (could be handy for melee bosses)

Directional attacks are also possible. Rune on PC had a very same camera and melee mechanic. But you could do different swings if you were moving left and press melee than you would if you were moving right and pressed melee.

Rolling to melee would be great too. In the livestream they mentioned fluid rolling to sprint. I welcome that. But also rolling to melee then to sprint would be good too. For ninja the Tenno have a lot of start-stop-start-stop mobility hindrances.

I say easiest is being able to combo heavy and light swings together. Any more and we start talking action game actions. Don't forget I'll want to keep the mouse for the shooting portions, so combat would be great if stuck to a mouse and keyboard.

I'll just keep it real simple, so right now we just have standard melee patterns

A blade goes left, right,... and repeat

An axe has five swings but that also repeats at a certain point

And so on...

I just want to suggest that there can be more melee patterns

For example a blade: instead of just bashing e,e,e,e,e,e -> e,e, pause e,e,e or e, pause, e, e, e (yes it's from DMC)

Or maybe something with holding E down... also an option.

I heard in the livestream that combos are something they cant do because of the fixed camera and it doesnt need to be keyboard acrobatics...

And personally it doesnt need to be a full devil may cry experience but different melee patterns

would give a lot of variety and more ways to combine with the ground kill moves.

I like this suggestion.

I see how combos w/ pauses can work regardless of the camera and I don't think hitting 'E' with a different rhythm is keyboard acrobatics. And I think directional inputs can work with Warframe's camera since there'd be a consistent button that will be considered 'back'/'forward'/'left'/'right' when you're 'zooming in'.

Add another button for melee. Make it a modifier so if you press it and/or hold at different times while repeatedly pressing the standard melee button, it will produce different attacks, or counters and parries (could be handy for melee bosses)

Hmm adding a new button would make it more keyboard acrobatics i think.

Though counters and parries after blocking sounds like another great idea that could be add to the melee!

We know that they will add guard in the game so perhaps well timed counters could give that extra sense of satisfaction.

Edited by Blackchaosvortex

waiting to see if block is a mappable button, then you can use block as a melee modifier.

i like the idea of a rolling melee attack. maybe add a rising melee after you get knocked down, useful for infestation swarms. how about a different jump melee for the front flip? it's not used alot so reward finesse by giving it more damage.

yo Geoff, if your lurking this forum.

I think it would be nice if we were able to equip melee weapon just like rifles and pistols and then use left/right mouse click to perform normal/heavy attack and combinations of them! Also blocking with middle mouse button would be cool feature.

I am fine with current melee system too, its simple and pretty, but at least more variety in charged attack animations would be very good addition because currently we have only one for every type of weapon.

Edited by Hero1nZero

Care to explain a bit more?

Means different linking move:

e.g.

A charge attack: Slash

A charge attack after a normal attack: Chop (aim for the head)

A charge attack after 2 normal attacks: Rising Cut (bring foes up into the air)

A charge attack after a charge attack: Cross Slash (more dmg but lengthen attack motion)

The moves change as the usage and damage are various.

Combo system can be easy and simple.

Btw

Repetitive attack sequence is very boring indeed. Initial slashes are light but the 3rd hit should be ,a combo finisher, hard slash. (Logically)

Edited by Disthe

Funny that the excuse they used was camera... When they're a 3PS, which has done this kind of tuff before, in games such as Warhammer 40k: Space Marines where you could very freely switch between the styles and still have a bit of improvised combo... Not saying it's good, just saying that it's been done.

40k: Space Marine was okay for Space Marine, it wouldn't function well here. Its not a mash button melee system, nor does it have the combos Marine had, nor does it need the gratuitous amount of blood that you got to see with that view. Also, they could back the camera out farther to accomodate that view in Space Marine because of the open environments; Warframe can get cramped and it wouldn't work as well.

There are always someone pop up and say these or those games' combo system are different or incompatible.

I agree WARFRAME stand out from others and incomparable so using other games to side prove the possibility of a simple combo system is not strong enough atm.

Straightly speaking, I didn't see where is the technical incapable.

Camera? Too suspicious. I begin to doubt and speculate the true reason behind.

The only reason flash through my mind is the current melee system is more suitable for continuous (infinitive) goods selling.

If devs set every melee weapons that distinct and fun, they are shoot themselves in the foot!

Same repetitive moves apply to a large group of melee weapons meanwhile combo system need ten times more unique moves to deal with.

More effort and less pay, and it now comes to a CAMERA explanation.

Edited by Disthe

I think the TPS camera limits more acrobatic move like air combo/juggling. However, third person/first person doesn't seem to have any trouble with practical combination. Vertical/Horizontal/Diagonal slash combination. I don't think there would be any trouble making more 'realistic' combo with third person camera.

I think it would be nice if we were able to equip melee weapon just like rifles and pistols and then use left/right mouse click to perform normal/heavy attack and combinations of them! Also blocking with middle mouse button would be cool feature.

I am fine with current melee system too, its simple and pretty, but at least more variety in charged attack animations would be very good addition because currently we have only one for every type of weapon.

If they decide to make melee weapons as equipable as guns, then we would idd have a lot of combos.

The normal/heavy attacks you mentioned makes me think of vindictus somehow. They have lots of variations between left and right mouse button.

Means different linking move:

e.g.

A charge attack: Slash

A charge attack after a normal attack: Chop (aim for the head)

A charge attack after 2 normal attacks: Rising Cut (bring foes up into the air)

A charge attack after a charge attack: Cross Slash (more dmg but lengthen attack motion)

The moves change as the usage and damage are various.

Combo system can be easy and simple.

Btw

Repetitive attack sequence is very boring indeed. Initial slashes are light but the 3rd hit should be ,a combo finisher, hard slash. (Logically)

Hmm this could get interesting added with my suggestion of the pause. Could make a lot of combos with just one single button.

I think the TPS camera limits more acrobatic move like air combo/juggling. However, third person/first person doesn't seem to have any trouble with practical combination. Vertical/Horizontal/Diagonal slash combination. I don't think there would be any trouble making more 'realistic' combo with third person camera.

TPS camera isnt really the problem, Vindictus, c9 and Tera have done it before.

Especially C9 in my oppinion has done combos very well! Look at the freedom in my combo video (this is pure keyboard and mouse)

While the devs said the reason they wont do anything crazy DMC style combos because of the camera. I think the devs should do it since it would add a skill floor needed to perform some crazy melee moves. Although with that being said juggling if done should only be restricted to normal/heavies as anything else (a.k.a. bosses) would be borderline broken depending on how difficult it was to juggle.

Also +1 for what blackchaosvortex said and that video that is proof that combos can get crazy even with player controlled cameras

All I do in Warframe is pretty much Meele. (And shooting when it takes too long)

If it wasn't for the Meele part, I'll be honest, I wouldn't be playing Warframe. Not a big fan of shooter games.

Warframe does it great on the shooter part and also very well on the close-combat gameplay (meele, dashing, rolling, wall-running,...).

But the meele could use some extra work as suggested here!

The cobination of holding down E and tapping it, could indeed work. And the E+arrow aswell. The arrow-keys being relative to the camera and not the character.

In short: +1 to this!

DMC somewhat requires a lock on mechanic so you can move freely without having to compensate for aim. At most I'd like to have a smoother transition from light to heavy attacks to better time swings against incoming enemies.

This, Currently I find it difficult to performa a heavy attack after a light attack if I am next to an enemy, I press light attack, then hold melee for heavy attack, but it just does light attack again :(