Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Different Melee Patterns

Blackchaosvortex

This, Currently I find it difficult to performa a heavy attack after a light attack if I am next to an enemy, I press light attack, then hold melee for heavy attack, but it just does light attack again :(

Once you hitted the target with first(or any) slash then immediately hold E.

Shape edge weapons can stun enemy with normal attack which charge's doesn't. Therefore the charge attack after a normal slash is a useful technique.

If devs can make that more varieties will be really adorable. :)

Edited by Disthe

Normal>Charge, oh man, dat Dynasty Warriors.

Which, let me say, isn't a bad thing. I could do with a bit more dynasty warriors in my space ninja.

I could go for a Dynasty Warriors style system. It wouldn't require too much skill, but would add enough variety that it'd make melee cooler than it is currently.

All of these suggestions, however, require a much greater amount of work in terms of weapon development for animations and such, which I'm not sure DE is able to do right now.

I agree with the direction and melee inputs.

I played a game a long time ago on the pc called Oni (heres a video of the game

. The person playing isnt very good but u get the idea lol)

but that game was a 3rd person action game with a fixed camera from behind. That game used directions and melee to create combos and special moves and they where very easy to do.

Why can't we just have diffeent button combinations. If you are running and melle you get a dash or knockdown, if you sidestep and melle you get a right hook. If you move back and melle you get a knockback

I've been thinking about that too, direction + E for different moves, but i'm not sure if this isnt too complex already?

I think charge + pause would be the easiest thing to do for DE right now, if they plan to expand the melee a bit more (with the already block/counter/ground kill moves we get)

I was thinking the same thing

DMC somewhat requires a lock on mechanic so you can move freely without having to compensate for aim. At most I'd like to have a smoother transition from light to heavy attacks to better time swings against incoming enemies.

Not necessary for melee attacks IMO.

The pause timing could make light attack > light heavy (slightly slower than normal attack in exchange for damage) and heavy charge > power charge (uses innate elemental if the weapon has one, if not it staggers all opponents in the area like a charge attack, again slightly slower than heavy charge but uses a small AoE/cone of elemental damage in exchange)

Edited by AXCrusnik

I agree with the direction and melee inputs.

I played a game a long time ago on the pc called Oni (heres a video of the game http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AGwH8gZHHT8 . The person playing isnt very good but u get the idea lol)

but that game was a 3rd person action game with a fixed camera from behind. That game used directions and melee to create combos and special moves and they where very easy to do.

Yup. Oni did do that. And so did Rune. Good points of reference.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/13309-different-melee-patterns/#entry113741

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Combos for a melee based game are a MUST, no matter which way you look at it.

I don't think the free camera would create any difficulties, so not too sure where the devs came from with that answer.

Games have done one button combos well for years now, be it with a direction or context sensitive or timing based... it is all do-able, Darksiders2 had a few good single button combos as well as the new DMC (with no lockon) and Oni as Innit78 mentioned.

COMBOS!! WE WANT EM ALL!!!

Uh, I am sorry for not reading -all- of the posts above, but since we are talking melee combat... (I just hope I won't get too much out-of-topic)

Right now it just feels like you are hitting an enemy with a sword/axe/hammer and that's it. Whether you do it in a regular pattern on in a combo, it won't make too much of a difference. Since the game is roughly about space ninjas with suits, abilities and tonnes of weapons, there's probably a few things that could be done to make it slightly more interesting, I suppose.
Truth be told I don't really want full-out combos like in most fighting games... I mean, this isn't really that type of game, at least in my opinion. With that said, considering we're space ninjas, we're not really using our melee potential properly.

How about some sort of counter mechanism? Yes, you're probably thinking Batman: Arkham Asylum/City right now. I'm not saying "press this button to destroy your enemy as he is attacking you right now", but perhaps if two people melee eachother at the same time, there could be a 'parry' or knockback/stagger on either side (which could be influenced by weapon type - heavy weapons would clearly stagger more and perhaps not be knocked back as much). The enemy could do the same with you, too, and it won't be as effective if they just hit you with their rifle (like lancers or crewmen do). With enemies that do have weapons, some sort of melee "combat" could be engaged, with a mixture of parrying, blocking and dodging as well as -actual- hitting. (Short note: this could also be a chance to make the block button a bit more useful?)
Also, a consecutive attack on stagger or knockback could be sort of considered or put as a combo, you'd end up with a "special" attack (that could have a specific effect according to your weapon or the enemy's condition).

I like what you sugest AndryB94

maybe combining that with what i said in my thread would be awesome overhaul to melee combat.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/31684-counterparrydeflectionjust-defence-other-aspects-of-blocking/#entry288279

Indeed. I'd be more than happy to see an overhaul in melee combat, in a way or another. In the future, when more enemy types will be added (which I am sure they will) this will be more effective. It'll make melee combat a funny and perhaps rewarding option compared to just spraying enemies in bullets. In some cases it could be the weak point of an enemy, so not necessarily forcing you to use melee but making it a very viable alternative to wasting half of your ammo reserves onto somebody.