Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma rework concept

Kryloc

While this is tossing yet another bottle into a vast ocean of chroma rework concepts, I figured I'd throw in mine as well and see what people think.

*note* I haven't really read any other chroma re-works though, so if I'm regurgitating concepts already explored, forgive me...

My main goal is to make more engaging and synergetic abilities that play further into the dragon theme of the frame, without making too drastic of changes to take away from either his role as a good gunslinger frame or giving the middle finger to the strength duration builds most his users run. Also, I'm really not too much of a number cruncher, so I won't get into any specific statistics, as I feel DE can balance things as they like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passive- dragonflight is a very basic passive and I'd like to add a little more used to it other than another jump.

I would like to convert the second jump chroma has into a modification to the aim glide, allowing chroma to effectively "fly" in any chosen direction until the aim glide ends. I'd also like to add a small ability strength and range buff while airborne to feed into the airborne dragon theme.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ability 1- I honestly don't even remember the name of this ability, and its usefulness is about as memorable as well. I would like this ability to be more of a damage tool and give the feeling of actual dragon breath

My proposed changes for this ability is to apply a mechanic that increases the damage of the breath for each stack of the selected element that's on an enemy. I would also like to add a lingering AOE on the ground of the given element. Lastly, I'd like to change the shape of the breath from a cone to a wider fan, 45° of coverage maybe. This I feel would make it more suited for larger groups.
Ability 2- Elemental Ward is pretty solid, but I would kind of like to see it be a little more Ward like.

Just a kind of shot in the dark, personally I would like to see Elemental Ward become an AOE that chroma can place down in an area and deals Elemental damage to enemies, it would also supply the Buffs it already has to allies and self upon entering the field. Anyone that gains the buff in the field would still retain the buff for the same amount of time that it already runs on chroma.

Honestly, this one is kind of a take leave change but I thought it was an interesting idea, so I listed it.

Ability 3- as much as I would like to revert Chroma's vex armor back to multiplicative, I will stick to its additive nature as DE intended to nerf it. However, with the loss of self damage The agency of vex armor has been somewhat taken away, and yes, if you are good with timing max buff vex armor can be fully acquired quickly, but there can still be the need to just stand by an enemy and let enemies shoot you while your team kills everything around you. My other reason is that we have frames like mirage who can, with the press of a button, easily out-perform chroma's damage, with the only stipulation being she needs to stand in the light. This is fine, since vex armor has much higher defense capabilities, but the deficit of effort is still there.

My proposed change is to swap vex armor to a hold functionality, which drains shields and then health to manually trigger vex armor, similar in functionality to Inaros's 4.  Incoming damage during this charge is converted into an elemental damage buff depending on the selected element to chroma's weapons.

It still retains a duration after the ability button is released, and tapping the button will refresh the timer. Charge animation will interrupt now, but the tap refresh will not.

Visually, I would like to see a dragonscale pattern enveloping chroma in his emission color.

Ability 4- let's face it, after Sevagoth's release, chroma mains were sitting in the corner feeling dejected. And with this rework I'd like to propose something similar. Effigy as of now is pretty much a glorified turret and we don't really get to become a dragon like we'd like to with chroma.

For my proposed change, I would like effigy to still separate chroma and his Pelt, however when you activate the ability the player would swap into the Pelt. The main body of chroma would run around and fire Primary Weapons similar to excal Umbra while you control the Dragon. While in control of the Pelt players can utilize both the dragon fire that the Pelt already had with the primary fire button, and also use Elemental claws to slash at enemies with the melee button. This form would also have access to several modified versions of Chroma's abilities, which I will discuss below.

Chroma's first ability would become a chargeable projectile similar to Embers Fireball, this projectile will also leave a lingering AOE field on its detonation

Elemental Ward would no longer Supply Buffs to allies and would instead become an AOE field that detonates after a certain amount of time.

In this form, Chroma's Vex armor would become an AOE armor strip that heals both entities.

Holding down the ability button would swap you in between the two entities. Both entities have the modified abilities and have separate health pools, however they share the same mod and energy pool, unlike Sevagoth.

These are just my own thoughts and what I think would be fun. Hopefully we do get a rework soon as I think most people can agree, Chroma needs one.

Archived