Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Word 'hysteria' Has An Ugly Past

BlindeyeInsight

Why are you so.... hysteric?

Ironically I have a chart of 16 different types of Feminist shaming tactics, most being akin to ad hominem

Accusations "of being Hysterical" fall under the Charge of Hypersensitivity (Code Blue)

Funny how these guys said that Hysteria was never labeled on men yet Anti-feminists have used it in reference to each other.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2oNwvlrM-g/UfXJFXM7lKI/AAAAAAAADCA/lm7mPhxuca0/s1600/Feminist_Shaming_Tactics.jpg'>http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2oNwvlrM-g/UfXJFXM7lKI/AAAAAAAADCA/lm7mPhxuca0/s1600/Feminist_Shaming_Tactics.jpg

I've had to deal with Feminist S#&$ before for at least 3 years of my life, I'd like to not have to deal with it anymore.

@Whoever is offended by the use of the word Hysteria 
a) Valkyr has every right to be hysterical.
b) Hysteria hasn't been associated solely with females in a hundred years. Unlike the use of the term g a y, or the n-word which still get thrown at the people pertaining to those words as an offensive remark. 
c) The longer you fight about the offensiveness of a word, the longer it stays offensive. See a), Valkyr has every right to be hysterical in her situation. This makes one of her abilities literally being a 'hysterical' outburst quite fitting. You're only prolonging/bringing back to life a dead stereotype, stop it, you're actually the problem here and invalidating Valkyr's suffering by making her gender have something to do with the emotional state she left it in. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2oNwvlrM-g/UfXJFXM7lKI/AAAAAAAADCA/lm7mPhxuca0/s1600/Feminist_Shaming_Tactics.jpg

I've had to deal with Feminist S#&$ before for at least 3 years of my life, I'd like to not have to deal with it anymore.

Faux-Feminism, ugh, way to improve the equality between men and women by setting back the apparent level of intelligence in women. 

Faux-Feminism, ugh, way to improve the equality between men and women by setting back the apparent level of intelligence in women. 

No insult to women, just Feminists.

Feminists =/= women

That's a basis of a lot of their arguments and the fuel for them.

I'm all for fair and equal treatment when it is physically/biologically possible. (There will always be differences, for things such as maternity leave.)

But Feminism is just obnoxiously damaging that goal.

But on that note I should probably stop posting, the thread is just about over with, there is no reason to bump it, and at this point I may be being obnoxious myself.

c) The longer you fight about the offensiveness of a word, the longer it stays offensive. See a), Valkyr has every right to be hysterical in her situation. This makes one of her abilities literally being a 'hysterical' outburst quite fitting. You're only prolonging/bringing back to life a dead stereotype, stop it, you're actually the problem here and invalidating Valkyr's suffering by making her gender have something to do with the emotional state she left it in. 

But yes, I agree with EVERY single word you just said.

It's only offensive if you take offense to it.

Edited by Yg-Dosst

Just throwing my two cents in. For an ultimate where the person goes into a blood-raged frenzy and tries to beat everything into fine red mist, Hysteria doesn't quite do it for me. I know you guys have been working very hard on the updates and stuff... but Hysteria just sounds like an absolutely silly thing to call Valkyr's ultimate. I mean look at her, she's built like a fleshpound and acts like one too!

p5uIWU8.jpg

Does anyone think that "Tenderize" would be a more appropriate name?

Just throwing my two cents in. For an ultimate where the person goes into a blood-raged frenzy and tries to beat everything into fine red mist, Hysteria doesn't quite do it for me. I know you guys have been working very hard on the updates and stuff... but Hysteria just sounds like an absolutely silly thing to call Valkyr's ultimate. I mean look at her, she's built like a fleshpound and acts like one too!

p5uIWU8.jpg

Does anyone think that "Tenderize" would be a more appropriate name?

Hey look...A man who has been brutalized and essentially killed. That's still a living human being who has been DESTROYED.

Before you say "Oh killing floor is about zombies" it absolutely is not. Every single specimen in that game was a living, breathing, thinking and feeling human being (according to the story!). They aren't necromorphs or undead. They are tortured lives destroyed by science gone wrong.

Now if that thing had a pair of %$# and a camel toe, it'd be sexist! (According to the op!)

But because it's a man I guarantee it doesn't offend the OP at all.

OP's thread is unraveling pretty fast.

Edited by FrothingLoins

No insult to women, just Feminists.

Feminists =/= women

I mean no insult to, for lack of a being able to think of a better word, 'real' women. Or Feminists. 

Feminism, the real kind, and the fake kind or Faux-Feminism and if you go to the site, 'tumblr' feminism are a very different group of people. 

Feminists can be of either gender, embracing the need for full equality between the two. They just want to make sure no one gets by with saying things like 'consensual rape', and 'she was asking for it'. Legitimate concerns if a person in a position of law or legislature says. They make sure no women is forced into having a lower wage than a man because she may give birth at some point during her employment. 

Faux-Feminism is almost entirely supported by women, because men will not subject themselves to those kinds of standards and views of their own gender. Faux-Fems have absolutely no idea on how real feminism is supposed to work. They think they're being morally upright for basically bashing men and inciting violence against them for the transgressions and inequalities men have pushed on women in the past, or for jumping at anything even remotely possible to be misconstrued in some fashion as being offensive to women(Like the use of Hysteria as a Valkyr ability).  

My apologies if that wasn't entirely clear. 

And thanks for agreeing with me. 

I mean no insult to, for lack of a being able to think of a better word, 'real' women. Or Feminists. 

Feminism, the real kind, and the fake kind or Faux-Feminism and if you go to the site, 'tumblr' feminism are a very different group of people. 

Feminists can be of either gender, embracing the need for full equality between the two. They just want to make sure no one gets by with saying things like 'consensual rape', and 'she was asking for it'. Legitimate concerns if a person in a position of law or legislature says. They make sure no women is forced into having a lower wage than a man because she may give birth at some point during her employment. 

Faux-Feminism is almost entirely supported by women, because men will not subject themselves to those kinds of standards and views of their own gender. Faux-Fems have absolutely no idea on how real feminism is supposed to work. They think they're being morally upright for basically bashing men and inciting violence against them for the transgressions and inequalities men have pushed on women in the past, or for jumping at anything even remotely possible to be misconstrued in some fashion as being offensive to women(Like the use of Hysteria as a Valkyr ability).  

Shut up you stupid man. You don't understand what it's like to have a vagina!

Ironically I have a chart of 16 different types of Feminist shaming tactics, most being akin to ad hominem

Because apparently nitpicking is the new fad on the forums, I felt I should point out that this isn't ironic, its coincidental. [/being a smartass]

Wouldn't call it Faux-Feminism since Feminism really has degraded since its original rise to prominence and is nearly a meaningless term. A common misconception is that feminism is the same thing as egalitarianism. It isn't. The feminist movement changed radically in the last 30 years and now the term feminist really has nothing to do with what it originally meant. Nowadays feminism has more in common with a women's power group than a women's right's group.

^Feminism is not egalitarianism^

Feminism is not Egalitarianism.

Feminism is no longer a women's right's movement, it has more in common with a women's power movement. When the "fake" examples of an ideology outnumber the "real" examples, then the ideology has changed meanings. Equality among genders is represented by Egalitarianism, not Feminism. Egalitarianism is a gender neutral term because it isn't associated with any one gender. Feminism, is associated with women, because as the name suggests, it was originally linked to women's rights, which is linked to Egalitarianism, but isn't the same thing as Egalitarianism. Since the original goals of the Feminist movement were met, Feminism now lacks any structure, common direction, or really any common meaning other than "something to do with women". Its part of why the term now has negative connotations.

Edited by Grilleds

Wait wait wait.

Hysteria is offensive, BUT REFERENCING THE KGB IS NOT?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY @(*()$ KIDDING ME?

It's amazing how the only people posting that share the OP's view are this blatantly delusional AND hypocritical.

they're my initials, mate.

so you think I'm the scum of the earth, and I think you're a misogynist with a massive sense of entitlement and a resultant blinkered disregard for the obvious realities of the world we live in.

good chat.

Feminism is no longer a women's right's movement, it has more in common with a women's power movement. When the "fake" examples of an ideology outnumber the "real" examples, then the ideology has changed meanings. Equality among genders is represented by Egalitarianism, not Feminism. Egalitarianism is a gender neutral term because it isn't associated with any one gender. Feminism, is associated with women, because as the name suggests, it was originally linked to women's rights, which is linked to Egalitarianism, but isn't the same thing as Egalitarianism. Since the original goals of the Feminist movement were met, Feminism now lacks any structure, common direction, or really any common meaning other than "something to do with women". Its part of why the term now has negative connotations.

Well, I'm quite disappointed then. 

Hey look...A man who has been brutalized and essentially killed. That's still a living human being who has been DESTROYED.

Before you say "Oh killing floor is about zombies" it absolutely is not. Every single specimen in that game was a living, breathing, thinking and feeling human being (according to the story!). They aren't necromorphs or undead. They are tortured lives destroyed by science gone wrong.

Now if that thing had a pair of $* and a camel toe, it'd be sexist! (According to the op!)

But because it's a man I guarantee it doesn't offend the OP at all.

OP's thread is unraveling pretty fast.

I wasn't trying to suggest that gender had any role with why hysteria doesn't sound right for this ultimate. I was actually trying to do the exact opposite.

The name Hysteria sounds silly regardless of what gender the frame is. I mean look at the fleshpound. When you see that thing come barreling towards you in a massive roid rage, hysteria sounds more like something the person on the receiving end would feel. I'm fairly certain the same thing could be said about some poor corpus crewman taking a coffee break, if they happened to see a raging Valkyr headed in their direciton.

they're my initials, mate.

so you think I'm the scum of the earth, and I think you're a misogynist with a massive sense of entitlement and a resultant blinkered disregard for the obvious realities of the world we live in.

good chat.

Mudslinging yay.

BTW, I read the post this was a response to. You actually usually hear the word hysterical used to ""belittle the emotions of women." non-ironically in real life? Are you a time traveler? You also said "most of the time", which pushes my disbelief even further.

I've heard the term used non-ironically in that sense before... In period pieces, and in a certain movie about time travel (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, said by Sigmund Freud). But never in real life, not even a single time. I've heard it used jokingly in reference to that meaning a few times, but even then not many. So I'm going to call BS on that.

Even if you are telling the truth... So what? You find it offensive. Big whoop. Does that mean it has to be changed? No. The overwhelming majority of players don't find it offensive, even among those who get the joke. Most of us *gasp* think of it as simply a funny joke. Besides, as other people have pointed out, its current definition fits.

Well, I'm quite disappointed then.

Yes, its quite sad. Why the people you refer to as "real" Feminists keep using the word instead of Egalitarian, I'm not sure.

Yes, its quite sad. Why the people you refer to as "real" Feminists keep using the word instead of Egalitarian, I'm not sure.

Well, I use it just as a contrast to the 'fake' feminism or I suppose it should be 'modern' feminism. Which might be why people use 'real' over Egalitarian. 

This is how far this forum can go people... 

Let's just drop the feminism topic, shake hands, grab a beer and welcome the weekend after today eh?(Depending on your residential continent)

3976213Arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

Edit: Found a replacement image in order to not offend the clever snake obviously cosplaying as Ouroboros... See it's magical talent for cosplay by clicking this link: http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z447/aliensoul77/128843232226407193.jpg

Edited by TwiceDead

Accusations "of being Hysterical" fall under the Charge of Hypersensitivity (Code Blue)

Funny how these guys said that Hysteria was never labeled on men yet Anti-feminists have used it in reference to each other.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2oNwvlrM-g/UfXJFXM7lKI/AAAAAAAADCA/lm7mPhxuca0/s1600/Feminist_Shaming_Tactics.jpg

I guess you missed the part where I said that feminazism is a load of crap then.

Long post x2 combo.

Longer replies will be broken down into spoilers.

Reshasis.  Wow, used "beta-male" twice.  Okay, double ignored.

Homie.  Language does evolve, but this word still has baggage.  It was a "too soon" kind of joke, if it was ever a joke at all.

Gale.  No, not really.  Hundreds of Tenno have died in lore, if not thousands.  Probably several will killed beyond that Excalibur.  What's your point?  And also, those are rare exceptions.  That doesn't fix anything.

Grilleds, because it was a bad joke and wasn't told with even the barest hint of being a joke.

Gale again, so you're saying that the word itself made you have a thought that implied girl.  Now that I know that, please don't deny that it has gendered connotations.  I wouldn't want you to seem a hypocrite.

Yg.  Rape and torture is never morally justified.  No one ever said it was.  You're putting words in Blue's mouth.

Grilleds, no one is a white knight.  At least I know I'm not.  I actually care about this S#&$.

Loco, I responded to this on the other thread, so again: not about the word itself, context.  Context times infinity.  Also, did you really feel the need to make the same joke twice?

Bluelstari (because I can't just call you Blue).

I wasn't offended, I was just saying you shouldn't resort to fallacies.  It doesn't reflect well.

You're right, it's not just Christians who are (filtered: h o m o)phobic, there are other religions too.  But I don't think that's what you mean, so please provide a secular reason anyone would oppose &*$$sexuals because I am utterly unaware of one.  Also we never put a number on what a "kid" is, I was talking about high school.

Not irrelevant.  The point was that slavery was immoral behavior.  If you went back and time and told people they were wrong for practicing it, do you think they'd be justified in accusing you of "though policing"?

I wasn't trying to make a strawman, I was asking a question so I wouldn't have any reason to resort to one.  Could you please answer the question?

Individual incidents are not harmful, they're merely reflective of a greater societal affliction.  And on that micro level, people should not be sent the message that this kind of behavior is tolerable.  And while it's not a fallacy, sarcasm isn't really helpful in a discussion either.

By your rhetoric and that last paragraph I'm just assuming you're MRA, and I'm just telling you this for the sake of transparency.  I don't want you to mistake where I'm coming from, and I'm not saying that to be offensive.  If you are not one, I apologize.  That actually isn't classism, because the actual relevant factor in that is power, and as I've stated many times before, "offense" is not the impetus here.  The thing that robs women is, well...people denying that there's a wage gap.  Perpetrators of rape culture.  Anyone who would deny women or any anything less than equality.

Hammie, sorry to hear that.  I'm just here because I think video games and mass media in general are emblematic of the culture that produces them.  I'm sorry if you disagree, or that you feel societal issues cannot manifest within mass media.  It must be very frustrating to see discussion like this, if that's the case.  But I'm going to keep my panties bunched as I please, I'm afraid.

Loco, we're not offended.  Or at least, that's not why we're here.

Yg, it's a good thing I've done none of those things, as far as I'm aware.  Thanks for pointing that out, though.  And I figured you had some sort of issue with feminists, based on how you've been writing.  Not that I'm analyzing or shaming, mind you, just that it was something I had noticed.

Luke, it was just really bad word choice and has lots of historical, cultural, and gendered baggage.  There are many other, better words that could have been used that would have been no problem at all.  The thing is, we're not offended.   And I agree, the kind of feminist described in Yg's post would be very unpleasant to deal with.

Yg. Feminism's goal is nothing damaging.  Feminist goals can be damaging, just as any person apart of any group has the potential to do damage.  That doesn't make feminism anything less than necessary.

It's a good thing that no one is offended, then.

Mohavon, context.  Not the word itself.  Moving on.

Loins, I'm not sure you understand the "if it was a man" hypothetical you keep proposing.  At least from my perspective, that role in Killing Floor is agendered, and so if this character were female it would not immediately become sexist.  I think you have a misunderstanding about my and Blue's and the OP's position.

Luke, I was unaware feminists made assertions about what is and is not a "real" feminist, as a rule.  I don't, at least, and I suppose that's the only honest context by which I can respond.  I am very unfamiliar with whatever a Faux-feminist is.  You may be implying that I am one?  Although again, again, I'm not offended by this.  Offense is the wrong description.

Yg, again, I don't believe I nor Blue are guilty of anything on that list.

Grilleds

Most feminists are extremely bothered by MRAs, and it's not hard to see why.  They try to reverse the position of victim, and often dismiss feminist issues as though they don't exist.  It's possibly the most frustrating kind of opposition when you're legitimately trying to make a change, and it's doubly frustrating because they often try to claim they're the ones at the center of equality.  It's just a pain to deal with.

You can say that about feminism, but I don't agree.  From my perspective, the goal of feminism is equality, and there is a long road still ahead of us.  Is there a reason you don't like the word feminism?

Moving further ahead, the word hysterical is still loaded with a lot of sexist context.  It's not that it offends.  Oh god how many times do I have to type this.

Edited by Cursor

Holy S#&$, how the hell are some of you so god damn sensitive and generally moronic. Has this word ever effected you as a person? No because you were not alive 100+ years ago. So shut up. This is a game were you go around and slaughter thousands of aliens, and I don't see ET complaining. So just shut the hell up. (I am a girl by the way, and this does not effect me in the slightest bit) 

Most feminists are extremely bothered by MRAs, and it's not hard to see why.  They try to reverse the position of victim, and often dismiss feminist issues as though they don't exist.  It's possibly the most frustrating kind of opposition when you're legitimately trying to make a change, and it's doubly frustrating because they often try to claim they're the ones at the center of equality.  It's just a pain to deal with.

First I'm hearing of it so I'm going to have to call BS on that. I'm not an MRA, nor am I a Feminist. But in that video the Feminists were acting absolutely and inexcusably intolerable while the MRA's seemed to only want discussion. This is AFTER the Feminists pulled the fire alarm to force the MRA's to cancel the meeting they were having. From what I gathered from that video, the MRA's were discussing how the media ignores the plight of male rape victims and favors female rape victims. Which is largely true, although female rape victims are more common. They never downplayed female rape victims in the discussion, they seemed to simply want to give a voice to male ones. Additionally, checking their website:

http://equalitycanada.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/

I see nothing that would seem to indicate what you are saying. In fact, the MRA's mostly seem to be just another rights group:

"We do not believe that equal rights is a zero-sum game, and we reject the notion that identifying and eliminating discrimination against men and boys will somehow increase discrimination against women and girls. By definition, equal rights means equal rights for everyone."

I am also not aware of any situations where MRA's protested a Feminist rally, but I have just provided a video of Feminist's protesting an MRA meeting. If any side is trying to oppose the other, its clearly the Feminists who are trying to oppose MRAs, which is silly since the supposed goals of Feminists really have absolutely nothing to do with MRA's goals (Men's Right's and Women's Right's are separate issues that are not mutually exclusive).

You can say that about feminism, but I don't agree.  From my perspective, the goal of feminism is equality, and there is a long road still ahead of us.  Is there a reason you don't like the word feminism?

From your perspective != the reality.

I explained why I don't like the word Feminism and will not repeat myself yet again. Reread my post. Why do you not like the word Egalitarianism? Feminism doesn't mean "Equal Right's". That would be Egalitarianism. So if you support equal rights, then why do you not identify as Egalitarian? Feminist is a loaded term with negative connotations, so Egalitarian would definitely be the better term to use.

Moving further ahead, the word hysterical is still loaded with a lot of sexist context.  It's not that it offends.  Oh god how many times do I have to type this.

I've never heard a woman complain about it.

Last post for me tonight, Onae.  It doesn't affect me.  It doesn't need to.  I'm cis-male, white-passing, and middle class.  I'm just swollen with privilege.  That doesn't mean I can't support other people.

And honestly, dude, I couldn't care less if you were a girl.  Doesn't change a thing.

This is how far this forum can go people... 

Let's just drop the feminism topic, shake hands, grab a beer and welcome the weekend after today eh?(Depending on your residential continent)

128843232226407193.jpg

That snake is obviously cosplaying as Ouroboros, nothing dumb about that.

OH! How silly of me... Hold on and let me find a replacement image, wouldn't want to offend this snakes obvious superior intellect and smarts, fooling us pesky humans into thinking it was actually eating it's own tail! 

Boy do I feel stupid... Anyway gotta find a replacement image before I go to bed. 

This might come off a bit brash, but have you seen Warframe's grammar usage and writing technique? No, seriously. It's a bit crude, to say the least; Therefore, the usage of the word has absolutely no reference to its past. None, nada, zip. When I think of something crazy occurring, one of the terms I think of to describe such an occurrence would be "mass hysteria". In no way was it made—speaking of DE's intent—to slight women, children, anything. Some people live in the past, and think it can adequately apply to the present and future without significant, critical context. If you went up to a member of nigh on any nation, they would have no idea why the word is bad. Why dredge up a forgotten, dark, useless, forgettable past, with absolutely zero import to the relevant situation. I am an egalitarian (Thank you, Grilleds, for helping me understand this.), though, I prefer equalist (brevity), which believes games have many offensive things about women and other minorities geared toward marketing for young boys, but even I could not possibly be so silly and cynical, as to believe DE decided upon this with accidental (or purposeful) malicious intent. Regardless, this post is, even though this shall weaken my argument, useless, for no one cares what I think, but what they think I think.

Request lock on this thread, it's been going round in a circle of "word has sexist connotations" to "no, the word no longer has sexist connotations" for the last seven pages. Nothing new or constructive has been added since the first response in opposition to the original post.

I tried to say it before it even hit. But people kept yelling me down.  This isn't a barbarian.  This isn't a strong female warrior.

It's a PMS joke.

\/\/[Edit]\/\/

Lets be fair. Most people likely don't know the story behind the word Hysterical.  No one(i'm hoping) used it with intentional malice or hate.  But that doesn't stop it from being sexist.  Sexism isn't always tied to intent.  And in this case, intent is irreverent.   We have thousands of years of history where women are called weak and emotional.  Where they need men to restrain and control them.

And it never stopped.  We just got more creative.  Rather then simply SAY women are the weaker sex(and don't get me wrong, people will) it's encoded into things.  Now it's more that femininity is weakness in of itself.  When you have strong female characters you have to tag them with those markers to make sure to "offset" their strength.

A perfect example exists in this game.  Look at Saryn.  She was "strong" female frame in this game.  In that she had higher then normal health/shields, melee centric powers, etc.  And what design choices did they go with?  Pink armor, thigh-high leather heels, boob-cups, and what appears to be a butt-sash.  And she's one step away from a feather boa.

If that's too "on-the-nose" then check out Nova.  One of the most powerful frames, period.  Are there mitigating factors?  Well, she looks like a broken porcelain doll.  Evoking images of helplessness and frailty. And the one armored boob hanging out.  Aaaand cracks that suspiciously highlight her pubic area.

That leads to our new frame.  She's more like Nova.  Not a strong, fearsome, unstoppable warrior.  She's a broken, tortured, emotional wreck.  Her design is suppose to look skinned, vulnerable.  She's got shackles, a collar and hanging restraints.  She didn't break out because she was strong, because her bloodlust couldn't be contained, it's because she was hysterical.

That's not a berserker rage, an untamable wolf.  That's a beaten dog, PTSD.

This wouldn't be an issue in isolation.  In a world where this wasn't the norm.  But we don't live there.  We live here.  In this world.   No one is mad because this is some shocking taboo thing they did.  Personally, I'm just disappointed.  We have hundreds of examples of this already.  And this is just another one thrown on the pile. 

So please, think of something else for that name.  Just... not this, again.  Not more sexism, on top of the massive, heaping, monstrous pile of sexism in gaming(and media in general).  It's a small token, really.  Just... don't add more to that pile.  Well, don't add anymore at least.

It didn't bother me.  I had no idea the word had such connotation, and because of that I'm reluctant to agree that the ultimate should be changed.

However, this post was extremely well written, full of valid points and commentary about Warframe design.  Unfortunately, it's a little late to redesign multiple frames.

DE isn't a particularly progressive company, that much is for sure.