The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore Easter Egg idea/feature to utilize in-world TennoBet/Orokin Language

-Zr-Scroll

The game is full of places with in-world TennoBet scriptures that look really cool and actually read lore specific thing, albeit often simple things, but still neat details for those who translate them. Some of them have been used to delve deeper into the lore aswell. Sadly these lore easter eggs aren't really that accessible or reasonable to a casual player, which gave me an idea...

What if...

Wouldn't it be a cool easter egg that when you cast into Operator form all the Orokin/Tenno language would automatically translate in-world with visual animation into readable English?

We are Tenno, so we should be able to read natively this written language from lores perspective. It would be a great easter egg for everyone who has completed The Second Dream / The War Within to be able to read all the scriptures when switching to Operator form. When switching back to Warframe the text would transform back to traditional TennoBet letters.

For technical simplicity it would be enough if the English translation would 'levitate' as an translucent effect on top of the original 'written text'-texture, it would thus also 'catch your' eye better when it transforms into existence. You could kind see the TennoBet behind the English translation indicating that it's the original which the Operator 'just understands' and this visualization is the representation for us - players - to actually understand it.

Rough example pictures quickly put together to convey the general idea:

Normal state:

Spoiler

3uXJzAy.jpg

Activated Translation state:

Spoiler

sFVxvT8.jpg

This idea popped for me when I was returning Simaris Targets for standing and talking to my clan mate. The relay walls in that room are full of different scriptures that you would need to use hours to translate or seek from wiki if others have done the translation for them. Having access to such translation in-game would be awesome.

In Duviri, there are Dominus Thrax Statues. There's a short Orokin Text on its base plate that reads 'Bow'. If you bow in front of the statue the text lights up and spawns a loot container you can break for extra loot. This is something that without sharing to community I would argue that only a few dozen players in the entire community would ever find on their own. That they actually notice the text, go translate it and then "huh, there's an emote with this name, maybe I should try to 'bow' to the statue"... So making this feature, where you could switch to operator and then just naturally read the text would bring these texts in reach for bigger part of the community.

In Duviri, you are already in Drifter form, so there it should be somehow proximity based or slightly different, as you cannot switch from warframe to operator for this idea to work, but still some mechanic that you first see the Orokin text before it translates with an animation because of an action you did. Maybe using the second 'Guiding hand' Ability next to the text?

This is my two cents today for DE, if you want to implement such an idea =)

Thanks for the Duviri Update, it's phenomenal in so many ways. Art, visual, music, moods, Drifter gameplay, puzzles, orowyrm, the delivery of lore and its meaning... it's truly wonderful <3

I can't wait for The Seven Crimes of Kullervo update and the extra Portal modes, puzzles and island it brings.

Thank you!

The main issue is you can't go Operator in every area with translateable text, like Relays. I think a HUD popup would make more sense to add as a Scanner widget, but again, scanners can't be used in Relays.

What might work is to put a "rosetta stone" somewhere with each the letters inscribed, probably somewhere like the Zariman in one of the classrooms on a chalkboard. It could also give room to add examples of how the letters are rearranged into words, since Orokin writing isn't as simple as left-to-right.

As for the Thrax statues... I wouldn't have even noticed the lettering anyways, because it's just too faint to notice unless I know what I'm looking for. That's nothing to do with having a translation on hand, though

Yeah, the technical implementation due to operator availability is a valid point, but I think there can be found a good solution for it.

The rosetta stone idea is cool, but if that means: the Tenno/Orokin text would always be already translated when seen once - you know the letters? I think it should be 'activated' in some way to keep the tennobet aesthetic as default. We should interact with it 'in some manner' for autotranslation visualization.

I saw these instances of text as a reward for people who took the time to learn to read tennobet.

I haven't been learning the script for very long, but I am starting to recognise letters without the need for the cypher. I imagine, eventually, that reading the script will come more naturally.

Archived