Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Connection to Host lost / Unable to connect to host

Destructor7972

Seriously, the last two days I've spent more time stuck on loading screens than being able to play the game!

Over a minute watching the reticle load to be greeted with the Unable to connect to Host! Or the favourite one which seems to be "Connection to Host Lost"!

2-3 minutes lost on loading screens as it then loads you back to wherever you came from and then it flashes up "Mission Failed"!! What Mission?? And sometimes, the message of would I like to reconnect to the group!!! Err, NO..

It's also been trying to put me in a group which has already finished (see above error messages) and the new one of Failing to load any mission after the matchmaking process has completed and dumping you back into your orbiter or on a Relay. You then can't fire up another mission so have to leave the group and try again!

Railjack is the worst culprit yet lately it's been occurring on Normal Nodes & Relic Runs!

Other online games run fine (including those which use matchmaking protocols)

And when I had a quick look at the EE log file, I was surprised by the amount of warnings showing up! eg.

[Warning]: Can't find Kubrow in scene (needed by /Lotus/Animations/Diorama/Warframes/TrinityDeluxe_cin.fbx)

[Warning]: /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/MarketBundleZarimanPack1.level: no initial player spawn

[Warning]: /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/MarketBundleZarimanPack2.level: no initial player spawn

That's just a few..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destructor7972 said:

And when I had a quick look at the EE log file, I was surprised by the amount of warnings showing up!

Sort of off-topic from your post concern, but a lot of the EE log's warnings and errors are either solely intended for devs and are self-correctable, or don't apply to content you're interacting with. Like 95% of them are really not useful for players at all, like the ones about worldstate.php info going unused that are called every minute or two or some error about an object that isn't of a specific type or property (as it shouldn't have them).

4 hours ago, Destructor7972 said:

Other online games run fine (including those which use matchmaking protocols)

So, this game is a bit unique in that it uses a P2P system for missions (the matchmaker is still a server somewhere), meaning it self-assigns one user in a squad as "host" and all other users connect to their IP directly. If the host has poor connection to other squad members, or vice versa, it can cause a lot of disconnects or issues. Many other popular titles might just use a server-based system (Overwatch, COD, Among Us, Fortnite, etc.), which ISPs tend to not have as many issues with and overall may have less issues since they're centralized, but they do not scale as well without significant costs (i.e. if you and your local friend are 2000 miles away from the server, you'll both have like 250+ms latency despite being right next to each other if there's no local server).

I'm not sure if the issue might be with your ISP / network equipment really not liking P2P connections (some are poorly implemented or throttled) or if you keep getting really far away hosts with spotty connections, but both can cause this issue. I'd try for now to lower your in-game ping limit to around 200ms and see if that helps, as that should still give you a really large matchmaking pool but filter out any hosts that have high spikes that skew their average pings significantly. You can also try to set your "PC Type" to "Desktop" in settings as well, as that's supposed to prioritize you as host (I'm not sure if this still works as of cross platform, but it shouldn't hurt to set it).

Other than that, I'd just ensure when you click "Analyze Network" in options that it says "All Systems Nominal", with "UPnP Detected" if possible (if you don't have the ports listed in settings manually forwarded by your equipment, or don't want to deal with that). That should give you the best chance of not having any issues on your end.