The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Re-Rework

PaladinJukes

Okay so they announced another Hydroid rework, and hes getting a new ability. I wanna hear what yall think they're doing for him, and Imma say here what I hope is gonna happen. Personally, I kinda like abilities 2-4. I dont want them changed, unless its like stat changes to make them more viable/damaging. Undertow could do with some healing imo. I think the ability that needs to go is Temp barrage. Its so bad, even with the corrosive augment. I think they should shift each ability down one making Tidal Surge his 1, Undertow his 2, and Tentacle Swarm his 3. For his new 4 I want a canon. He's a pirate, pirate ships have canons, and b*tches love canons. Im thinking like an exalted Zarr but better. The Tempest Barrage augment could be repurposed for the canon making its base damage corrosive. 

24 minutes ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Water doesn't lean well into damage, I think they are gonna go off the deep end and make a support/cc frame OR a tank/CC frame.

I don't see his abilities doing damage unless his numbers go through the roof.

I hope he gets the grendel treatment.

yareli is great at damage.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Surging_Blades

56 minutes ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Water doesn't lean well into damage, I think they are gonna go off the deep end and make a support/cc frame OR a tank/CC frame.

I don't see his abilities doing damage unless his numbers go through the roof.

I hope he gets the grendel treatment.

Honestly I dont mind them doing something completely different to what I suggested. I think making him a support frame could be cool, again I really want Undertow to heal Hydroid and potentially Allies standing in the water. As for the Canon, I dont really see them adding another exalted ability to balance I just really like the idea of a huge fekken canon to blast at my enemies. I also just wanted to see what other people would like to see happen to Hydroid. The next Idea I had was for him to be able to extend tenticals from himself like Ben Hargreeves. It kinda reminds me of Grendel in a way since he splits open to vore enemies lol, but instead of voring them he'd just nab them up while running around. 

2 hours ago, (NSW)Royal_Elf_Mika said:

yareli is great at damage.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Surging_Blades

But keep in mind the abilities he has. He is keeping 3 of them.

Can you find a way for them to make 3 abilities good for damage without just shooting numbers through the roof?

The mechanics wouldn't work well either.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

But keep in mind the abilities he has. He is keeping 3 of them.

Can you find a way for them to make 3 abilities good for damage without just shooting numbers through the roof?

The mechanics wouldn't work well either.

damage on the abilities seem to be one of the main issues i see, like his puddle does 25 damage/s with a 2% increase per second... 

like look at what happened to grendel, i thought he was pretty useless when i played him before the revamp, now he is extremely viable. i do think pablo can make him into a strong damage frame.

What's good is that it's very clear why Hydroid is so low in the tierlists:

• His abilities deal no damage (with the exception of ultra-niche builds that break his abilities in very specific situations)

• He has no true survivability (despite having an invulnerable heal, he is extremely fragile when actually in combat)

• His abilities discourage mobility, due to most of them being area-based DoT effects (despite having a good mobility dash for certain tilesets)

• His main method of looting disrupts teamplay, especially since the tentacles swing enemies all over the place

I hope DE addresses all of these problems.

Personally I am hoping that DE really put effort into this new rework for Hydroid as I really do not believe he can be fixed with simple QoL tweaks. That's been tried once before and all it did was make him objectively worse. Each and every one of his abilities needs to be mechanically reworked entirely as the way they are designed just does not work with modern Warframe.

Undertow IMO is the worst ability in his entire kit, so that's the one I am hoping gets replaced by this new ability Pablo was talking about.

I love Hydroid aesthetically, I love Tempest Barrage, the puddle, and the Swarm, His dash is even pretty usable, That being said, I think it's likely gonna be Barrage or the Puddle getting replaced with a new 4 while the Swarm is moved to his 3

Personally, for a new 4, while I like the idea that was mentioned by Jukes with the Swarm coming off his character, I think it'll have to be something completely different. I'm thinking of the Mythical Hydroid Prime trailer where he summons a massive column of water centered on himself, making a Rhino Stomp effect while damaging enemies and healing allies inside the column

If anything, we know this much :

1. His passive is going to change.
  2. Two abilities are going to be merged to get a slot for a new one.

I guess it could be Tidal Surge and Undertow being fused together, since both involve Hydroid turning into water. We'd get one or the other depending if we tap or hold the ability.

That being said, we don't know what direction Hydroid is going to go, as he didn't exactly have the most clear role, due to being good at pretty much nothing : he has above average armor, so he might go a tanky route, but at the same time, he has a good energy pool by default, which is common for casters.

You could argue he has "decent" CC potential with the barrage and the tentacles, but unfortunately, the first one is a fairly unreliable stagger, while the second is limited to one target per tentacle and enemies grabbed by them are harder to hit with standard or accurate weapons.

His damage is pretty bad for your average every day mission, his overall casting speed is awful and his support is very limited and restricted to augments.

While he could easily be the next Grendel in terms of rework, considering Pablo is on it, I hope he becomes consistent with at least one role, as currently, he's nothing more than a jack of no trades. The drowned pirate deserves better.

Archived