The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How cross-platform save can eliminate "Host Migration"

Darvahoya

I'm a software developer (game developer) who has been looking into your cross-platform squad data management and wondering if you have thought about how cross-platform save can eliminate host migrations when the founding squad member departs. You should be able to use the same data format you use for cross-platform save to implement a new form of squad data storage that is no longer linked to the founding (host) member but to the squad class then linked to the individual squad members tagged with their platform and other attributes (which I assume is current code). This way the active squad would never experience a host migration and all departing members would have their platform data updated from the platform-independent squad storage regardless of whether they leave early or at the end (which I also assume is current code other than where ownership of the data resides). When the final squad member has departed the independent squad data store can then be released. I'm guessing you can likely use most of your existing host code by making the independent squad class storage based on (figuratively) a hidden 5th squad member.

This should also resolve problems such as combo count and over-frames disappearing due to host migrations and the Tenno, including myself would be very happy to see these host migration issues a thing of the past.

Cheers,

D

Edited by Darvahoya
cleanup
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Darvahoya said:

I'm a software developer (game developer) who has been looking into your cross-platform squad data management and wondering if you have thought about how cross-platform save can eliminate host migrations when the founding squad member departs. You should be able to use the same data format you use for cross-platform save to implement a new form of squad data storage that is no longer linked to the founding (host) member but to the squad class then linked to the individual squad members tagged with their platform and other attributes (which I assume is current code). This way the active squad would never experience a host migration and all departing members would have their platform data updated from the platform-independent squad storage regardless of whether they leave early or at the end (which I also assume is current code other than where ownership of the data resides). When the final squad member has departed the independent squad data store can then be released. I'm guessing you can likely use most of your existing host code by making the independent squad class storage based on (figuratively) a hidden 5th squad member.

This should also resolve problems such as combo count and over-frames disappearing due to host migrations and the Tenno, including myself would be very happy to see these host migration issues a thing of the past.

Cheers,

D

Someone get this man a job!!!

The only thing I HATE about this game is the god-forsaken host migrations, and I LOVE this game.
This, or simply give me the option to be able to be the host knowing I won't drop out on everyone. I have a method right now but only works when I'm playing with a friend.

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm the cofounder of an online game platform company and am not looking for a job but I also LOVE this game and would like nothing more than to see host migrations go away. With the introduction of cross-platform save Warframe can solve this problem now and create a server state management system that won't impact players.

• Like 2