Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Impact/puncture/slash Mods (The Way They Should Work)

Harkin

With this new damage 2.0 system, I've seen what these mods are like and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. What I'm proposing is just treating them the same way elemental mods work by taking the base value of the damage and adding 60% of "said" mod type (also 30% for rifles and shotguns?! nu-uh)

So what I'm going to do is take three pistols and add "No Return" as examples and do a whole before and after thing.

Now

Lex: Impact-7.0 Puncture-56.0 Slash-7.0 + 60% puncture damage = Impact-7.0 Puncture-89.6 Slash-7.0

Vasto: Impact-12.5 Puncture-12.5 Slash-25.0 + 60% puncture damage = Impact-12.5 Puncture-20.0 Slash-25.0

Acrid: Toxin-20.0 + 60% puncture damage = Toxin-20.0 (no effect at all)

So after everything is said and done, the Lex is the only pistol reaping the full effect of this mod because it already deals a high value of puncture damage. The Vasto has a much smaller level and doesn't even surpass the amount of slash damage it deals. But the Acrid on the other hand doesn't even deal these types of damage... so multiplying the value of a zero is still a zero in the end.

What it should look like

Lex: Impact-7.0 Puncture-56.0 Slash-7.0 + 60% puncture damage = Impact-7.0 Puncture-98.0 Slash-7.0

Vasto: Impact-12.5 Puncture-12.5 Slash-25.0 + 60% puncture damage = Impact-12.5 Puncture-42.5 Slash-25.0

Acrid: Toxin-20.0 + 60% puncture damage = Toxin-20.0 Puncture-12.0

In other words it should act like the elemental mods do and use the total damage that the weapon deals, take 60% of that, and add it to the pool of damage of that type (even if the weapon doesn't deal that type of damage on default). This would also clear up all of the unbalancing of weapons because of the lopsided damage types that the player doesn't have the right mod for or the amount of damage applied from nightmare mods.

i half agree and half disagree

there should be 2 base damage values and they should both be stated in the stats currently it only tells u the base damage in market and its divided physical base damage in codex and ui.

a base physical damage for puncture,impact and slash(keep in mind that physical damage doesnt combine)

a base elemental damage for the actual elemental damages(keep in mind that elemental damage combines and is more faction focused)

the main reason for this is cus an ignis doing physical damage just doesnt make sense. also it allows more balancing in weapons since some weapons can do really high physical damage and thus reap more from physical mods while not doing enough or any elemental damage due to a low elemental base damage and vice versa. with this we can "nerf" really powerful weapons that go crazy when u add tons of elemental mods AND physical mods while giving us the chance to modify nonviable weapons and give them some sort of purpose. for example, we have 3 weapons that basically do the same exact thing: soma, supra, gorgon. currently the hierarchy is Soma>Supra>Gorgon although supra has caught up cus of damage 2.0. for the three of these lets assume they have equal total damage with varying elemental and physical damage. if laser based weapons had higher elemental based then the supra would be able to adapt to every faction because of elemental mods going off of its high base. if grineer weapons did higher physical damage then it would be able to deal good overall damage and be new player friendly(it would be effective against all faction since physical damage doesnt combine and mods would go off physical base damage than individual physical damage). the tenno weapon would deal both decent physical and elemental damage and be this game's balance stat brand. if there was an infested type of machine gun it would have a really high status proc with relatively lower physical and elemental base damage.

Edited by lkkie

But I do think that this could really work and it would be a much simpler solution then some of the things I've seen around. The whole point of equipping certain kinds of mods is because we want our weapons to function better and I don't see why this system has to be so different.

Back then, if you wanted to do more damage to the corpus it was just slap on an electric mod. Now its about combining elements to create a magnetic damage to be more powerful against them, and that's perfectly fine. But when you look at physical damage you would lean more towards impact damage... and if your weapon doesn't deal enough impact damage then (the way it is now) the impact mod would barely be functional enough to put on the weapon in the first place.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with what I'm trying to pitch because the whole point of equipping these mods is to deal more damage, and if you want a weapon to be effective against all factions then you can put all 3 on, it's the way I enjoy playing because I can find a middle ground and not have to arrange mods all the time.