Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I The Only One Who Likes The Old Lotus Voice Better?

Zardust

With each new thing DE adds to the game, it seems they include new Lotus recordings to accompany them.  I've noticed a transition in the style of the recordings as of late, as if in attempt to create a more "robotic" or "scifi" sort of sound.

Personally though, I think the new recordings are kind of goofy.  Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking, but the older recordings that up until now have been the main ones in use seem to have more of a sense of urgency to them.  The sense of urgency isn't panicky or emotional, it's balanced out by an ominous background of aloof morbid interest in the way she talks which really gives her that creepy feel of an AI or a puppet for some organisation that's watching and coldly analyzing everything you're doing.  Combined with a feeling of disconnect and distance between you and her from the subtle radio distortion, it felt really atmospheric and had this slightly unsettling vibe that hooked my interest and made me want to learn more about this mysterious guiding voice.

I keep hearing the new clips during events and the boss fight with Alad V and stuff...and no offence to the VA, but it sounds now like she's bored and stoned and speaking into a plastic fan to do that funny "Darth Vader" voice.  It seems so generic now, like the voice of Marine Sgt. Spacebeef's lusty holographic AI secretary who can control the ship's coffee dispenser in some low-budget scifi film, rather than the cold analytical dispatcher who seems to know everything you're doing despite being so far away and mysterious and yet her pragmatic observations and blunt announcements over your comms channel are the only thing you can cling to because she's the only thing that hasn't outright tried to kill you so far.

Anyways, that's just my feedback.  I'm curious how others feel about the changes.  Sorry if my rant is a bit confusing to follow.

While we're on the topic I might as well ask, is there a way I can extract the old Lotus voice clips from the game to use as sounds on my phone or something, before they get phased out in an update?  Is that something I should be asking in a different forum section?

Edited by BLOODGAZMS

I personally preferred the older recordings because they sounded clearer. The new one almost sounds like half-goldfish blurping, and when I hear the two being played together i appreciate the more 'emotional' and 'invested' feel of the originals.

Edited by ZephyrPhantom