Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

Warframe Nyx Rework idea

Nyx as a mind power based frame is disappointing and she is not exactly a strong frame and she could be better.

For me I would associate telekinesis, mind control and illusions as abilities to help keep nyx's identity.

1) How I would change mind control:

- This ability will be a tap and hold ability 

- Tap to mind control like now hold to move or make controlled targets attack marked targets.

- Nyx can mind control up to 3 targets

2) Pyshic bolts I think this is one of nyx's best abilities due to defense reduction however it does not really fit nyx's abilities. How I would change this:

- Ability name is now called telekinesis 

- Tap to grab on to an enemy 

- Can hold up to 3 targets at once

- Hold to throw enemies towards your crosshair dealing aoe 750 impact damage and reducing defense by 15% per enemy scales with strength. Has a base 11m aoe. Scales with range.

Edit: This aoe will knock enemies down rather than fling and ragdoll enemies.

- Costs 25 energy per enemy

3) This ability in my opinion is the worst it does not deal any damage and is just a radiation proc and its just bad. How I would change this:

- Ability renamed to Illusion

- Tap to create an illusion that lasts 20 seconds at base scales with duration and grants nyx and her team an energy rate of 4.5 per second scales with strength. Buff name will be reinvigorated mind

- Hold to create an illusion which will grant nyx and her team and increase in ability strength by 15% scales with strength and lasts 20 seconds.

- Only one illusion at a time.

Feedback: I do understand however i prefer this chaos imo is not good it fits with nyx but an aoe radiation does the same thing which i am not a fan of. This benefits nyx and her allies.

Absorb changes:

- Augment that let's nyx walk is now in the ability by base

- Now has a larger bubble size 

Passive changes-

- Keeps original passive by default 

- Hold jump button to levitate for a maximum duration of 3 seconds refreshes on double jump.

These changes would keep nyx like psychic ability warframe and make her more fun to play. Nyx also would work better in a team. Her 4th was a great ability however being locked in place was boring and increased bubble size will help nyx protect objectives. These changes keep nyx's strengths but allow nyx to perform better solo and the new passive will feel quite fun I think.

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by VaultedShade

2 hours ago, VaultedShade said:

1) How I would change mind control:

- This ability will be a tap and hold ability 

- Tap to mind control like now hold to move or make controlled targets attack marked targets.

- Nyx can mind control up to 3 targets

Curious to what the added value is supposed to be with the hold when they already follow you automatically. 3 targets feels like too much micromanagement to me when as it is now 1 can do fine damage (and sufficient distraction) if you can lay into em good enough during the damage conversion period. I could see the appeal though. No other notes.

2) Pyshic bolts I think this is one of nyx's best abilities due to defense reduction however it does not really fit nyx's abilities. How I would change this:

- Ability name is now called telekinesis 

- Tap to grab on to an enemy 

- Can hold up to 3 targets at once

- Hold to throw enemies towards your crosshair dealing aoe 750 impact damage and reducing defense by 15% per enemy scales with strength. Has a base 11m aoe. Scales with range.

- Costs 25 energy per enemy

Disagree. Nyx has a more "I'm in your mind eating your brain cells" kind of vibe, she doesn't need a grab. Ragdolls are also annoying (especially if the actual goal is armor strip) to play around. If the point is to change P-bolts to a single point AOE just let it do that.

(And, hmm, actually it would be interesting to see an augment mod where P-bolt is 1 AOE.)

3) This ability in my opinion is the worst it does not deal any damage and is just a radiation proc and its just bad. How I would change this:

- Ability renamed to Illusion

- Tap to create an illusion that lasts 20 seconds at base scales with duration and grants nyx and her team an energy rate of 4.5 per second scales with strength. Buff name will be reinvigorated mind

- Hold to create an illusion which will grant nyx and her team and increase in ability strength by 15% scales with strength and lasts 20 seconds.

- Only one illusion at a time.

Replacing it wholesale? Please don't. The only problems Chaos has is Overguard exists. It's still one of the better wide-range CC options in the game (that isn't just killing them, which, the overall viability of CC vs damage dealing is a completely different conversation warranting its own thread if not several). Not every frame ability needs to be damage focused, variety is the spice of game.

Furthermore in the context of your suggestion: on its own just granting power strength and energy isn't a very engaging support ability on its own and isn't too different from a widely used already-present Helminth version of an ability called Nourish, which grants extra weapon damage and energy.

Absorb changes:

- Augment that let's nyx walk is now in the ability by base

- Now has a larger bubble size

In this, you and I agree and are the best of friends. Base Absorb is beyond boring: it's a forced AFK button. If DE could change Absorb in a way that allowed for any movement speed without the augment, I'd buy every prime access until the servers closed.

However, to set expectations: realize that Absorb with any amount of movement is so powerful that people forget Singularity exists entirely, because it is a channeled invincibility ability limited only by the energy you have. Other true-invincibility abilities have some kind of trade off (Defy is timed. Mesmer skin has charges.), so if DE actually gave Absorb base movement we should not expect Absorb to be untouched in other ways. Possibly by chewing through more energy/efficiency than you can literally mod for once you hit certain damage absorption thresholds, or adding a cooldown timer.
(Again, saying this to set expectations. Personally I would be okay with either of these outcomes or a secret third thing, just let me move without taking up a mod space or using operator!)

For bubble size, I don't touch absorb enough to verify this myself but the wiki says the range scales further depending on damage absorbed, so it's probably an unnecessary change compared to how much of a buff the movement-speed ask is. Keep in mind the ability already boosts your weapon damage on releasing the ability and increases your threat level to make enemies more likely to target your absorb. It's a strong ability even as it is now in the right hands.

Passive changes-

- Keeps original passive by default 

- Hold jump button to levitate for a maximum duration of 3 seconds refreshes on double jump.

I like this a lot, but the current passive (-20% accuracy) is already kind of cracked. As long as you're moving well enough ranged enemies are basically never going to be able to hit you before you can kill them, before even getting into mods/shards that boost this effect. (Parkour speed, Carnis set). Giving her what is basically a second passive is kind of absurd, and if I had to choose between the two (or nerfing the original when combining the two) I'd prefer the original. If this would be implemented without nerfing what's already there I'm all for it, but that IS also my condition of approval.

Overall (with the exception of absorb), I think you're underestimating Nyx a little here based on your expectations of what she "should" be doing before you actually got to play her. I don't disagree that she could be updated a little to be brought in line with current Warframe METAs, but she's more of an Inaros situation (needs a little brushing to wipe off the clunk) than a Hydroid situation (throw away 3/4 the frame and start again.)

And of course CC is overall in a weird place because of overguard, but that's a weakness of the overguard mechanic, not an individual CC ability like Chaos. One day you may encounter enemies you can't AOE-room clear, and you will be glad to have good CC abilities (like Chaos) to slow down/distract the horde before they can blow up your fragile defense objective du jour.

Edited by SymbolicSunshine
grammer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the 2nd I understand however she literally uses telekinesis so this is possible its more I think it would be cooler visually

I have played nyx a bit chaos sucks here 3rd is a no damage radiation proc in functionality and I think the new 3rd will help nyx and her team plus buffing allies would be good

For the new 2nd I think making it just do a knockdown not knock back will make it better like valkyr paralysis 

Edited by VaultedShade

5 hours ago, SymbolicSunshine said:

Curious to what the added value is supposed to be with the hold when they already follow you automatically. 3 targets feels like too much micromanagement to me when as it is now 1 can do fine damage (and sufficient distraction) if you can lay into em good enough during the damage conversion period. I could see the appeal though. No other notes.

Disagree. Nyx has a more "I'm in your mind eating your brain cells" kind of vibe, she doesn't need a grab. Ragdolls are also annoying (especially if the actual goal is armor strip) to play around. If the point is to change P-bolts to a single point AOE just let it do that.

(And, hmm, actually it would be interesting to see an augment mod where P-bolt is 1 AOE.)

Replacing it wholesale? Please don't. The only problems Chaos has is Overguard exists. It's still one of the better wide-range CC options in the game (that isn't just killing them, which, the overall viability of CC vs damage dealing is a completely different conversation warranting its own thread if not several). Not every frame ability needs to be damage focused, variety is the spice of game.

Furthermore in the context of your suggestion: on its own just granting power strength and energy isn't a very engaging support ability on its own and isn't too different from a widely used already-present Helminth version of an ability called Nourish, which grants extra weapon damage and energy.

In this, you and I agree and are the best of friends. Base Absorb is beyond boring: it's a forced AFK button. If DE could change Absorb in a way that allowed for any movement speed without the augment, I'd buy every prime access until the servers closed.

However, to set expectations: realize that Absorb with any amount of movement is so powerful that people forget Singularity exists entirely, because it is a channeled invincibility ability limited only by the energy you have. Other true-invincibility abilities have some kind of trade off (Defy is timed. Mesmer skin has charges.), so if DE actually gave Absorb base movement we should not expect Absorb to be untouched in other ways. Possibly by chewing through more energy/efficiency than you can literally mod for once you hit certain damage absorption thresholds, or adding a cooldown timer.
(Again, saying this to set expectations. Personally I would be okay with either of these outcomes or a secret third thing, just let me move without taking up a mod space or using operator!)

For bubble size, I don't touch absorb enough to verify this myself but the wiki says the range scales further depending on damage absorbed, so it's probably an unnecessary change compared to how much of a buff the movement-speed ask is. Keep in mind the ability already boosts your weapon damage on releasing the ability and increases your threat level to make enemies more likely to target your absorb. It's a strong ability even as it is now in the right hands.

I like this a lot, but the current passive (-20% accuracy) is already kind of cracked. As long as you're moving well enough ranged enemies are basically never going to be able to hit you before you can kill them, before even getting into mods/shards that boost this effect. (Parkour speed, Carnis set). Giving her what is basically a second passive is kind of absurd, and if I had to choose between the two (or nerfing the original when combining the two) I'd prefer the original. If this would be implemented without nerfing what's already there I'm all for it, but that IS also my condition of approval.

Overall (with the exception of absorb), I think you're underestimating Nyx a little here based on your expectations of what she "should" be doing before you actually got to play her. I don't disagree that she could be updated a little to be brought in line with current Warframe METAs, but she's more of an Inaros situation (needs a little brushing to wipe off the clunk) than a Hydroid situation (throw away 3/4 the frame and start again.)

And of course CC is overall in a weird place because of overguard, but that's a weakness of the overguard mechanic, not an individual CC ability like Chaos. One day you may encounter enemies you can't AOE-room clear, and you will be glad to have good CC abilities (like Chaos) to slow down/distract the horde before they can blow up your fragile defense objective du jour.

For the 2nd ability I just would like to say the reason I made it an aor defense strip is because whilst it's a good ability its just overshadowed by the likes of styanax defense strip. It being an aoe would make it better imo.

I'll make adjustments 

Though I appreciate your input Thanks