Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help with my Octavia Build

FictionReader90

Question

Posted (edited)

Hey Everyone so I need some advice i love my Octavia but I do wish she was a little bit tankier so i wont die as much... so i was wondering which ability should i give her well of life or Blood Alter?

I know some people might say that i dont need to replace her abilites as long as i stay invisible or to try shield gating but i still get hit with AOE attacks while invisible or just stray shots and shield gating seems a little bit too complicated for me to get into right now.

Especially since I don't think i have a free mod space to make catalyzing shield to work without going over my build again and I just dont feel like changing it again right now.

Any help is appreciated please and thank you

Edit: also I’m sorry I realized after responding to a few responders that I never told what my mod on Octavia where at the original time of me posting this question I had 

Aura mod Energy Siphon I don’t have a different aura to fit in the mod marking thing otherwise I would have Steel Charge for mod space or rejuvenating/Physique for healing/max health

Exilus is Handspring for faster Knockdown Recovery

Overextended, Blind Rage, Continuity, Flow, Stretch, Umbral Vitality and Umbral Intensify. And I’m trying to farm vital essence I think it called for rolling gaurd from the arbitration for the invulnerability and removed all status chance

As of right now after few suggestion from some people down below I have deicided to remove the two Umbral Mods and add Fast Deflection for shield gating and Quick Thinking to see how they work ether together or separately 

2nd Edit: sorry I once again forget to mention something and this time it was my arcanes they are

molt augmented it stacks ability damage all the way up to 250% as long as I don’t die

and my second one is Arcane Gaurdian so if they do break my shields I have a 15% chance to get a flat addition to my armour

they both are rank 0 right now 

Edited by FictionReader90
Had to add some info

6 answers to this question

1 час назад, FictionReader90 сказал:

Hey Everyone so I need some advice i love my Octavia but I do wish she was a little bit tankier so i wont die as much... so i was wondering which ability should i give her well of life or Blood Alter?

If i had to choose among those two I'd pick well of life. It's cheaper and protects from status effects as well on top of healing. With augment it can also  be a reliable source of health orbs for such things as equilibrium, arcane blessing, health conversion. But I wouldn't use subsume abilities on octavia in the firs place, tbh.

1 час назад, FictionReader90 сказал:

I know some people might say that i dont need to replace her abilites as long as i stay invisible or to try shield gating but i still get hit with AOE attacks while invisible or just stray shots and shield gating seems a little bit too complicated for me to get into right now.

Especially since I don't think i have a free mod space to make catalyzing shield to work without going over my build again and I just dont feel like changing it again right now.

And yet shield gating would be the best option outside of missions against infested. And it is very easy for octavia, there is no actual need for catalyzing shields and conversion of used energy into shields.  Just tossing fast deflection into build is enough on its own (though I prefer to add boreal's hatred as well for longer invulnerability window and better efficiency as a bonus)

2 hours ago, FictionReader90 said:

Any help is appreciated please and thank you

No need to replace her abilities but I do highly recommend using Quick Thinking or Gladiator Finesse with Octavia as it will help keep you alive.  Not sure where you are in the star chart but if you have access to Archon Shards they can be very practical in providing extra armor so she can take a bullet or two, extra health and/or shields too.  If no Archon shards then try Arcane blessing, Reaper or Guardian to give you a boost to survive tougher missions. Also try the Auger Mods which can provide you with an endless source of shields as Octavia is constantly casting her music to do its thing which in turn provides you with extra shields.   She is a glass cannon no matter what you do but with a few extra tweaks she can be more viable to use.

HERE is a really cool Forum post from @Buff00n that you can obtain any song you want for your mandachord simply by submitting your request to the Forum post@Buff00n  has a pretty quick turn around and additionally has a huge list of hundreds of current and old songs for you to use with your mandachord to make Octavia more interesting and fun to use, especially if used often. 

Have a pleasant tomorrow!

51 minutes ago, deucich said:

If i had to choose among those two I'd pick well of life. It's cheaper and protects from status effects as well on top of healing. With augment it can also  be a reliable source of health orbs for such things as equilibrium, arcane blessing, health conversion. But I wouldn't use subsume abilities on octavia in the firs place, tbh.

And yet shield gating would be the best option outside of missions against infested. And it is very easy for octavia, there is no actual need for catalyzing shields and conversion of used energy into shields.  Just tossing fast deflection into build is enough on its own (though I prefer to add boreal's hatred as well for longer invulnerability window and better efficiency as a bonus)

Thank you for taking the time to respond and thank you for the advice regarding wellspring I really appreciate.

also I will try adding on fast redirection to see how it goes if it really is that easy to do shield gating I thought it was a lot harder with people talking about decaying dragon keys and everything

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, sinamanthediva said:

No need to replace her abilities but I do highly recommend using Quick Thinking or Gladiator Finesse with Octavia as it will help keep you alive.  Not sure where you are in the star chart but if you have access to Archon Shards they can be very practical in providing extra armor so she can take a bullet or two, extra health and/or shields too.  If no Archon shards then try Arcane blessing, Reaper or Guardian to give you a boost to survive tougher missions. Also try the Auger Mods which can provide you with an endless source of shields as Octavia is constantly casting her music to do its thing which in turn provides you with extra shields.   She is a glass cannon no matter what you do but with a few extra tweaks she can be more viable to use.

HERE is a really cool Forum post from @Buff00n that you can obtain any song you want for your mandachord simply by submitting your request to the Forum post@Buff00n  has a pretty quick turn around and additionally has a huge list of hundreds of current and old songs for you to use with your mandachord to make Octavia more interesting and fun to use, especially if used often. 

Have a pleasant tomorrow!

Thank you for taking the time to respond as for where I am in the star chart I just unlocked the steel path and thank you the mod tip I actually didn’t know what it meant I thought it had something to do when you are bleeding out not actually stopping you from reaching that point I will definitely try it out!

And thank you for the link I’m definitely going to have to ask for a song I just have to deicide on which one first

The main problem with Octavia is if you use a helminth ability, you're potentially removing something integral to her gameplay.

Augur mods are fairly easy to obtain and are fairly reliable for survivability on caster frames, I'd advice against health tanking on Octavia, considering she doesn't have innate health regen nor high armor.

Faster shield recharge is very valuable when you're dealing only against stray bullets and such, which is what Octavia will mainly have to deal with. Rolling Guard pairs up very nicely with it, giving you a breather, cleansing any status effects in the process, so it's not the end of the world if you get hit by an eximus fireblast.

Overextended brings alot of range, but the strength loss that comes with it hurts her 3's buffs the most, if you decide to remove it, you can still reach up to 190% range with Stretch, Augur Reach and Cunning Drift (exilus slot), plenty to work with, 19m Mallet gets doubled in a 38m if it's on the 26.6m Amp. It's not so big anymore, but you also don't lose strength, so it's worth something.

If you chose to go for a Helminth ability and it's in the 4th slot, don't forget Precision Intensify grants 90% ability strength on just that slot. Can be good if you're using Roar or Nourish.

Red archon shards can grant free stats in the form of duration or strength, depending on your needs, I'm more into duration ones. As for arcanes, if you got your survivability in a good spot already, you could use Molt Augmented for even more strength. I still would advise against health tanking setups, as they would be more costly and not so effective.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Fred_Avant_2019 said:

The main problem with Octavia is if you use a helminth ability, you're potentially removing something integral to her gameplay.

Augur mods are fairly easy to obtain and are fairly reliable for survivability on caster frames, I'd advice against health tanking on Octavia, considering she doesn't have innate health regen nor high armor.

Faster shield recharge is very valuable when you're dealing only against stray bullets and such, which is what Octavia will mainly have to deal with. Rolling Guard pairs up very nicely with it, giving you a breather, cleansing any status effects in the process, so it's not the end of the world if you get hit by an eximus fireblast.

Overextended brings alot of range, but the strength loss that comes with it hurts her 3's buffs the most, if you decide to remove it, you can still reach up to 190% range with Stretch, Augur Reach and Cunning Drift (exilus slot), plenty to work with, 19m Mallet gets doubled in a 38m if it's on the 26.6m Amp. It's not so big anymore, but you also don't lose strength, so it's worth something.

If you chose to go for a Helminth ability and it's in the 4th slot, don't forget Precision Intensify grants 90% ability strength on just that slot. Can be good if you're using Roar or Nourish.

Red archon shards can grant free stats in the form of duration or strength, depending on your needs, I'm more into duration ones. As for arcanes, if you got your survivability in a good spot already, you could use Molt Augmented for even more strength. I still would advise against health tanking setups, as they would be more costly and not so effective.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and helping me!

I agree with her kit but sometimes I just get tired of crouching to turn Invisible for 19 secs the time I currently have before I get archon/Primed continuity and my 4 50% crimson shard duration and still dying to AOE or just random bullets 

okay maybe when I said I wanted her tankier I explained myself wrong what I really want is a way to just stop dying and having to have my friend revive me when I used all but my last revive 5 minutes into the mission 

and yeah thank to another responder I’m running fast deflection, quick thinking and I plan to get rolling gaurd soon

Im not really worried about ability strength with the augmented molt im running I’ll get all the strength I need from that and even if I wanted more strength I would slot in some ability strength shards cause I can get strength from other places beside modes but not so much for Range

honestly I was thinking about nourish but then I realized that I wouldn’t heal with it at least that is what I read if I’m wrong please tell me cause I didn’t think it was a healing move from what other people said but if nourish does heal I will try and remember precision intensify

yeah I lean towards the duration myself and I don’t think I’m trying to do a health tank build on her I just don’t want to say so much