Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Puncture Weapons

Mal-content

Why are so many melee weapons so heavily slash based?  Only a few daggers seem to have high puncture and one sword (the Jaw Sword).

Kama and Dual Kamas should definitely be predominantly puncture or have a roughly equal split between puncture and slash just based on how they were historically used.  Scythe weapons ought to be have both as they can be used to slash and impale, or they should become predominantly puncture if a split is infeasible just to have some variety in the heavy melee table.

Perhaps the Manticore Axe Skin and Dagger Axe Skin ought to also change those weapons to puncture when applied.  In fact, skins might simply be the best way to handle this problem.

In summation, there are plenty of options for slashing, a handful of options for impact (Amphis, Bo, Fragor, Kogake and its kin, and the Kestrel), but almost none at all for puncture.  Elementals shouldn't be the clear winners in nearly all builds, but currently they are.  Change a few to mix it up, or release skins so the weapons people have already built, supercharged, and put formas on aren't too similar.

Completely agreed.  Changing the mod from an armor piercing bonus that it had before to a puncture bonus because they sound similar was a bit lazy, especially since the puncture bonus has no relevance at all to the types of weapons it is put on.  The mod should benefit charged weapon builds properly.

A bug which was fixed rather recently is what prompted me to seek out alternatives that fit my playstyle and permit me to slaughter Grineer in the fashion to which I have become accustomed.  I had Rending Strike and Sundering Strike on Hate which was, inexplicably, providing a boost to Puncture that put it at ~45.  Obviously that math does not work out at all and the bug needed to be fixed, but Hate actually had a clear advantage against Grineer that other options did not.  Now no heavy melee does this job at all.  Oddly, Scythes have very sharp points as well as cutting edges and have historically had the angles altered to permit their use for stabbing as well, when converted from harvest tools to weapons of war.