Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snake Necramech Experience Needs Serious Love

Hubbleton

Posted (edited)

I was at first pretty excited to unlock the mech. The stages of the quest leading up to the mech part were cool. The first speed bump was when I entered the mech and attempted to use Ability 1. I'd rebound MMB, causing the ability to break completely until I reset the keybind.

As I proceeded toward the quest waypoint, I was met with an endless onslaught of enemies causing my mech to eventually explode. Each explosion in turn triggering the "hilarious" voice line referencing that other game with mechs. The reference would have been a lot funnier if I didn't have to hear it several times as I attempted to quell the horde.

The main gun was weak and often wasn't pointed where it was shooting. Ability 1 hardly ever damaged anything and often didn't seem to fall where it was aimed. I still don't know what Ability 2 does, other than cause the mech's head to spin around (as it explodes).

Does the mech have a visible health bar? I found what I think was the ability meter and sprint meter, but couldn't find a health bar. I noticed the red screen border effect (at least I think I noticed it) just before I died, but just barely because the screen was so busy and the combat was so frustrating.

After several deaths and resets (with no lost progress) I eventually decided to just run for the objective instead of fighting. The waypoints repeatedly bugged out as I made my way underground. I almost backtracked a few times due to the multiple waypoints. The fact that the main gun kept glitching out and pointing behind the mech through its arm as it ran helped take my mind off the glitched waypoints though.

I got to the objective where I joyously exploded several more times. Ability 3 seems okay, except for the fact that it constantly fires away from the enemies in this situation because the pilot is forced to kite the ravenous mob. It annoyed me even more how deaths during this were in no way a risk as if it was well understood what a horrible sequence this clearly was, and the decision was made not to add injury to insult.

I'm not even sure when Ability 4 unlocked. I was too busy unsuccessfully kiting and missing nearly every shot with Abilities 1 and 3. My mech's head was hilariously spinning as it died at least. Ability 4 was cool though. I used it on the "boss" just before my final explosion, the first of my numerous deaths where it wasn't actually clear what had happened to me.

Oh, I almost forgot about the laser surgery section of this thrill ride. The targeting of the wounds was also quite jank. Not nearly as jank as all the other things, at least.

It was a terrible experience and felt severely half-baked. By the end of the quest I was thinking "Man, I never want to come to this zone again". Oh, and then I get delivered that cheeky quest punchline. Again, something that would have probably been funnier if I hadn't just had the crap annoyed out of me.

It would be awesome for the mech segment of this quest to get a quality pass. Hell, if a lot (like a lot a lot) of the enemy waves leading up to the objective were removed it would be heaps better. I feel like the jank of the mech would be possible to overlook if not getting pummeled ceaselessly the entire time.

Having just returned to the game after several years away, I can say that the rest of the game is in a rather amazing state. Excellent quality all over so far, except in this quest. It felt very out of place. Forced, I feel is a good word to describe it.

Edited by Hubbleton

8 minutes ago, Hubbleton said:

Does the mech have a visible health bar? I found what I think was the ability meter and sprint meter, but couldn't find a health bar. I noticed the red screen border effect (at least I think I noticed it) just before I died, but just barely because the screen was so busy and the combat was so frustrating.

It does, it replaces your frame HP/shieldbar. Top left corner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The mech modless experience is pretty horrid. Once you get some mods to both your equipped weapons and Necramech, you can facetank the enemies just fine. Provided that you do not use autoinstall and actually think what you are doing and why. Voidrig abilities worth using are 2 and 4. 4 - Guard modeArquebex is especially powerful exalted weapon. Have in mind it also needs to be modded. Bonewidow has more vaiable abiities and is much tankier, but her 4 is Melee is nowhere near as OP as Arquebex, both due to lack of good archmelee mods, area of effect and base stats.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 1