Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Warframe Lore Story So Far.

Castron

This is the story I made from gluing all the bits and pieces of stray lore that's out there together. Please note that this is extremely based on personal interpretation and does not necessarily have to be the truth. Feel free to leave any comments and/or feedback and I'll see if I can make edits if necessary.

Edit: Text colour is a bit off. Need to see if I can fix it.

A long long time ago when man was young and the galaxy already old. An epic war unfolded in the far galaxy. This war was between 2 factions known as the Orokin and the Sentients. The Orokin were an highly advanced race with unrivaled technology. The Sentients however were highly adaptive. The Orokins advanced technology made the war easy at first but the Sentients adapted and quick. The Sentients adapted faster then any Orokin could have predicted, and they paid the price. With their own weapons being used against them the once mighty and advanced Orokin became more and more desperate but nothing worked. Even their last hope, their ultimate weapon which we know as 'The Infestation' failed. The Orokin had no other option but to hide, sending complete ships into the only place they still considered safe, The void. The void however is not a very hospitable place and the last surviving Orokin slowly became corrupted by it's influence. The only thing left of the once mighty Orokin empire are the derelict ships scattered around the galaxy. A sorrowful end to a once mighty civilization. 

Millennia later a new civilization made their appearance in the galaxy, humans. All of the nations of earth united under 1 banner known as 'The Empire'. It was not long until the Empire and the Sentients met, and similar to the Orokin, a war erupted. This war was similar to the last one, the Sentients adapted to their foes, mastering their weapons and using them against them, the Empire stood no chance. Similar as last time the Empire looked to the only place where they could be safe, the place where their logic and reason failed them, the void. They quickly found out that not everyone who was send to the void stayed there, some were rejected and came back. These rejects were not the same as they were before however, they were changed, they were twisted yet stronger and above all, deadlier. 

The Empire realized that these 'rejects' were the only hope they had left. They build a frame around them, a conduit of their new powers. They gave them the weapons of old, gun and blade. With this a new warrior was born, a new code was born. The Tenno were born. The Tenno became the Empire's saviors. They would be known as 'warrior gods cast in steel' Excalibur was the first. Soon others followed, each of them specialized in their own way of Warfare. Covert ops, guns blazing and mass destruction. The Sentients stood no chance.

Once the war was over the Tenno united and talked. They quickly came to a consensus: No empire may ever be allowed to rule the galaxy alone. A balance had to be created. They made the most painful and heartbreaking decision they ever made. The Empire they had just saved, had to be destroyed. They struck at Terminus, at the Imperial Salute. During this ceremony the Tenno were honoured for their indispensable services during the war. The Tenno however had other plans. During this ceremony the naga drums would beat 10 times. 10 beats to indicate the end of the suffering. At the 9th beat the Tenno struck. In 1 synchronized strike the guardians were taken down and a torrent of blood filled the stadium. In 1 swift strike the entire leadership structure of the Empire was destroyed.

As expected, and planned, The empire fell to pieces. Anarchy ensued, multiple smaller factions tried to gain control. The balance the Tenno sought had been established. After this moment the Tenno decided it is their duty to maintain this balance. To preserve themselves nearly all Tenno went into cryo-stasis. Leaving 1 to keep an eye on the galaxy and awake them should their services be needed once again. 

This is why you have been reawakened Tenno. The balance is in danger. The Corpus and the Grineer factions have grown too strong. Meanwhile the Infestation has grown and threatens all life should it be left uncontrolled. Go forth now mighty Tenno. Your duty calls.

Edited by Castron

I'll just paste what I replied to this on twitter already:

Here with my view on the Orokin so far. The Orokin are also referred to as the Orokin Era on Earth which to me implies that they were a human civilization at the peak of technological advancement.
We already know that Hayden Tenno from the original Dark Sector was the first "Tenno" which would make the Tenno among others a byproduct of the technocyte virus, which also created the infestation. The Empire and the Orokin were one and the same. They were the ones who built the Warframes, the originals of which were the Primes, which are pieces of Orokin technology.
After the war with the Sentients, the already weakened Orokin civilization fell apart at the hands of the Tenno for a yet unknown reason.
The Tenno went into Cryosleep, leaving behind the solar system with a power vacuum, which was eventually filled by the Grineer and Corpus.
The Grineer seem to originate from outcasts of the Orokin civilization which explains their general hatred for the Orokin, while the Corpus seem to be chasing the Orokin's technological advancement or even see themselves as the successors to the Orokin. Their reference to the Tenno as betrayers would imply this.

That's just my thoughts on the matter though.

I'll just paste what I replied to this on twitter already:

Here with my view on the Orokin so far. The Orokin are also referred to as the Orokin Era on Earth which to me implies that they were a human civilization at the peak of technological advancement.

We already know that Hayden Tenno from the original Dark Sector was the first "Tenno" which would make the Tenno among others a byproduct of the technocyte virus, which also created the infestation. The Empire and the Orokin were one and the same. They were the ones who built the Warframes, the originals of which were the Primes, which are pieces of Orokin technology.

After the war with the Sentients, the already weakened Orokin civilization fell apart at the hands of the Tenno for a yet unknown reason.

The Tenno went into Cryosleep, leaving behind the solar system with a power vacuum, which was eventually filled by the Grineer and Corpus.

The Grineer seem to originate from outcasts of the Orokin civilization which explains their general hatred for the Orokin, while the Corpus seem to be chasing the Orokin's technological advancement or even see themselves as the successors to the Orokin. Their reference to the Tenno as betrayers would imply this.

That's just my thoughts on the matter though.

There is currently nothing known about the Orokin making everything about it pure speculation. What I do know is that the Tenno now are created by the void and not by the Technocyte. This is explained in the Codex entry for Excalibur.