The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War is still hands-down the worst quest in the game

11 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Let me just say this, players should have a choice. If you like being immersed in a war that only takes place for as long as you play the quest and has literally no impact on the world afterwards, other than ruining fortuna to not even be a proper snow biome anymore, thats your choice, do it your way. I would definitely go the other way though. And thats all Im asking, give players the choice, dont force them. Call it cinematic mode and normal mode or whatever and let the players decide. Just look at kuva lich system. Its painful and takes hours for untrained players, but guess what, they can ignore the lich for as long as they like and only do 1 lich mission per day if they decide so. Or maybe more than that, or maybe 0. Its a bad system that you cant quit, but you arent forced to do it by any means, and thats how TNW should be. Just making this one simple change will make the quest so much better, devs can even ignore all the other flaws of it.

PS All I meant by "profit" was that instead of being locked in the new war I could have farmed plat for which I would then buy better mods and become stronger. Or farmed whatever else I wanted to farm, which is most often time-based and on rotation so I cant do that anytime I want + baro, alerts etc. Thats all I meant by it. And one day in warframe is a veeeery long time. If you compared my character from yesterday and today, you wouldnt even think they were the same.

Why even respond if you're not completely reading it? I've said twice now, I think the option to back out of the quest is good. I just think being able to skip in and out of it willy nilly doesn't make sense with the story. And even if you could, the quest would still be as long, you'd still spend just as much time on it, just in shorter bursts.

The length itself is certainly not a problem. Longer quests are good. They're much more interesting and impactful than a quest you can blow through in a couple hours and then forget about a month later.

And, no. One day is really not a lot in warframe. But even if it was... so? Completing the quest is also progress. And it's not gonna kill your account to lose a day or two. Do you actually, genuinely, spend every single day playing the game? If you do, get some god damn help. If you don't, why? The simple answer is you probably had more important stuff to do. Completing the quest is more important than some random grind somewhere else. But if we're really going there, You know what you're missing procrastinating the quest? You're missing all the weekly archon shard missions. Now that's an actual substantial loss. And you know what? That doesn't matter ether. That's always gonna be waiting for you just like everything else is. Just take your time. It's not a race. You're not falling behind, you're not losing ground. This isn't Destiny 2 where you're gonna have the gear you spent a week grinding taken away from you cus you took a break and the season changed over. Even if that did happen to you with nightwave, The nightwave rewards always come back around eventually.

There's no real end goal for you to reach in this game anyways. It just Keeps going. The whole point is literally the journey and the fun you have along the way. Take a breath, and slow down. It's fine. This is a game you can't finish. So why rush towards an end that isn't there?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

you'd still spend just as much time on it, just in shorter bursts.

Yes, and thats exactly the goal. I never asked for the quest to be shorter, I always asked only for the option to pause it anytime I want and go back to the normal game. Its a huge difference to do stuff like this in one sitting and to do it in bursts.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Yes, and thats exactly the goal. I never asked for the quest to be shorter, I always asked only for the option to pause it anytime I want and go back to the normal game. Its a huge difference to do stuff like this in one sitting and to do it in bursts.

Not really. Aside from the instances where you run into a roadblock cus your gear isn't strong enough, and that's more of a "the game should have had a gear-check mission proir to locking you in the quest" issue, than a "the game should just let you out of the quest to get stronger" issue. Asside from that, it's the same amount of time spent ether way. You can't do every single daily in the game every day. It's just too much time. Any time spent on the quest, no matter how intermittent, is still time you're not spending on some other time gated thing. It really doesn't matter. Making the choice to do literally anything in this game is always making the choice to not do something else.

It sounds like you just have severe attention span issues.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

Not really. Aside from the instances where you run into a roadblock cus your gear isn't strong enough, and that's more of a "the game should have had a gear-check mission proir to locking you in the quest" issue, than a "the game should just let you out of the quest to get stronger" issue. Asside from that, it's the same amount of time spent ether way. You can't do every single daily in the game every day. It's just too much time. Any time spent on the quest, no matter how intermittent, is still time you're not spending on some other time gated thing. It really doesn't matter. Making the choice to do literally anything in this game is always making the choice to not do something else.

It sounds like you just have severe attention span issues.

Literally everybody on the planet will tell you that doing something for 4 hours straight and doing the same thing with resting phases feels (and is) completely different, especially when you do vastly different things during resting phases (that means something different than just "on" and "off", in WF case doing something for fun or for profit rather than what you hate instead of just logging in and out of TNW, which helps with the fatigue factor but doesnt help with the "fun" and "variety" factors). Not to mention my suggestion helps some players (for whatever reasons they may have) and doesnt hurt the others (that like the current way for whatever reason) so I really dont understand why youre so against it and why you are so hell-bent on forcing your vision of the game on others and insiting they have a bad time. But why do I even bother, youve just straight up decided to start insulting me anyway. Anything you say from this point forward has zero value.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I get you man. Well it all depends on you. Do you want to play warframe or not? If you want to play warframe, then make a new account and have some fun, get to new war later when you regenerate your mental powers. If not, just quit warframe altogether for some time and finish the new war when you get back in a few weeks/months. Of course the memory of new war might make you not want to come back again, so maybe create a new account anyway, so your warframe game isnt tied only to the afflicted account. Also as far as I know there is a mechanism to merge accounts, so once youre done with the new war, you can merge the 2 accounts into one and even take mastery points from that. And even if it doesnt work that way, you can just delete it once you finish the quest.

As for me, I created the second account because the game content kept getting more and more boring and grindy. Find 11 million random things on this map, talk to these 5 new guys, max them, go to level 999 area for several hours to get that and repeat all of this with +100 level next month with new update.

Starting fresh was one of the best things I have done. I had so much fun with the original quests that I completely forgot about cause I did them several years ago (and that I couldnt enjoy because I was struggling to stay alive, not having proper gear and stuff). I saw the pieces of the lore fit together etc. Its really like new game+, your character is new, but the knowledge remains and you kick a55 since day 1. You know ESO, you know Index, you know circuit. Man it felt so great to pick volt as my first frame this time, knowing how bad the game was for me the first time by picking excalibur and knowing how good volt is for pretty much all missions.

Also you can ignore mastery ranks after 15 or 16 and you can only get weapons and frames that you care about, compared to the standard main account where you need to own and max everything. This will also save you a lot of plat for slots. The only bad thing about a new account is that you dont get primed sure footed as its a login and untradeable reward and that your daily reward boosters are much shorter cause of MR, but thats it. Everything else is a big plus. Keep in midn we also got some QoL updates that make the game much better regardless of old/new account and that some things in the game were reworked to help new accounts grind less. Its a completely different game, but at the same time just as good as it used to be. Fascinating.

Thank you for this inspiration! Exactly what I needed. I have just created a new account and restarted the game as a fresh Mag with no upgrades and just the weapons you get when you start. I am actually enjoying myself again. Just wish that I had at least one good gun and some endo, but that has to wait. If I can forgive the devs eventually (for the seriously X#&#X design of New War that made me quit), I might even buy some plats when they are on sale to speed things up a bit. And I will definitely stay out of the hellish New War quest. Thank you again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miramiranda said:

Thank you for this inspiration! Exactly what I needed. I have just created a new account and restarted the game as a fresh Mag with no upgrades and just the weapons you get when you start. I am actually enjoying myself again. Just wish that I had at least one good gun and some endo, but that has to wait. If I can forgive the devs eventually (for the seriously X#&#X design of New War that made me quit), I might even buy some plats when they are on sale to speed things up a bit. And I will definitely stay out of the hellish New War quest. Thank you again!

Thank you for the kind words. Im glad youre having fun again. Thats why we are all here after all. Now go get them, tiger! :)

9 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Literally everybody on the planet will tell you that doing something for 4 hours straight and doing the same thing with resting phases feels (and is) completely different, especially when you do vastly different things during resting phases (that means something different than just "on" and "off", in WF case doing something for fun or for profit rather than what you hate instead of just logging in and out of TNW, which helps with the fatigue factor but doesnt help with the "fun" and "variety" factors). Not to mention my suggestion helps some players (for whatever reasons they may have) and doesnt hurt the others (that like the current way for whatever reason) so I really dont understand why youre so against it and why you are so hell-bent on forcing your vision of the game on others and insiting they have a bad time. But why do I even bother, youve just straight up decided to start insulting me anyway. Anything you say from this point forward has zero value.

You're really not understanding, that this is how other games that are entirely a single player story driven campaign work. If you need to take a break you just take a break from the game. Noone complains about those.

And the quest is really not just one thing for 4 hours. its starts off with you playing as 3 different characters that play completely differently, then you switch to Drifter (who plays different from drifter in Duviri) and do a typical mission, then it switches to stealth based gameplay which is somethign the game about space ninjas could really use a lot more of, eventually you get your gear back and you get several unique sections back to back. The quest is far less "One thing" than any grind in the game is. It's most experiences in warframe, plus a pile of new ones, condensed into one package with all the bloat taken out.

You're not even complaining about not being able to finish the quest, which is a much more reasonable point of frustration. You're upset because the quest that warned you it would take several hours and likely not be completeable in one sitting... took you several hours and wasn't completeable in one sitting. And because of that you couldn't engage in the manipulatively addictive systems of the rest of the game... for two days. God forbid you ever take a vacation for a week. You got a good quest that respects your time and treats you like a person playing a game instead of a statistic like so much of the rest of the game does, and you're complaining about it because you want the dehumanizing gameplay back. That's why I'm arguing against this. I want more quests like this.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

That's why I'm arguing against this. I want more quests like this.

I didnt mean to react to anything you say, but you finally said something interesting so I have no choice. OK, great, now I know your reason, finally. you like the thing I hate. Point is, that what Im suggesting (giving players the option to only get locked in if they want to) has absolutely no effect on the nature of future quests or whatever. Your opinion might matter in the discussion about the quality of TNW quest and the elements in it (like I criticized veso etc.), but its definitely not relevant in the discussion about the quest lock, which is the most important thing. Thats what makes this quest unbearable for me and many others. The rest is a minor annoyance compared to this.
If you really like this kind of experience, I really suggest playing Soulframe when it comes out. Warframe is just not like this, its an MMO and I play it because its an MMO.
If I wanted a single player story driven experience, I would play a different game.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Mazifet said:

Another day, another thread beating the same dead horse.

Will you personally go to all the topics talking about QoL, useless pets, auto-melee, semi automatics becoming automatics and give them a like? Or are you going to pretend none of that happened? Yes, it took hundreds or thousands of topics and posts, yes, it took several years, but it happened in the end. Just like the quest lock can be gone/voluntary in the future. The devs have a knack for total randomness and even this thing can change, All we can and have to do is keep it visible so it cant be forgotten.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Will you personally go to all the topics talking about QoL, useless pets, auto-melee, semi automatics becoming automatics and give them a like? Or are you going to pretend none of that happened? Yes, it took hundreds or thousands of topics and posts, yes, it took several years, but it happened in the end. Just like the quest lock can be gone/voluntary in the future. The devs have a knack for total randomness and even this thing can change, All we can and have to do is keep it visible so it cant be forgotten.

Exactly.

• Like 2