The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unification of stat language

BalaDeSilver

Can we please unify the language on how mods, buffs and stats in general are applied? The addition of "Final Critical Damage" on Tenacious Bond is amazing and clarifies a lot about what the mod actually does. In the same vein, I propose "Initial", "Normal" and "Individual" to be added as an extension of this new language.

Mods and abilities that add what we currently call "Additive", such as Serration, Cathode Grace, Reinforced Bond and such, can be described as adding Normal Damage, Normal Critical Chance and Normal Fire Rate, for example.

Currently, only Incarnon upgrades add Initial Damage, Initial Crit Chance, etc, to weapons, but I might be wrong there. No other initial buff comes to mind, where the buff provided will be multiplied by Normal multipliers.

Individual buffs are for things that we currently call Multiplicative, such as Mirage's Eclipse and Rhino's Roar (although Roar is technically Faction Damage, which is a Multiplicative stat with complex feelings).

And finally, use more of the Final keyword in mods like Shadow Haze, Cat's Eye and Arcane Avenger, it'll help a lot on the Wiki web requests to look up what each individual mod and ability does at this point.

Also, add a section to the Codex so we can say to new players "Oh, just look in your codex" instead of "Look, you're gonna spend more time on this Wiki than actually playing the game for, like, a month..."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BalaDeSilver said:

Currently, only Incarnon upgrades add Initial Damage, Initial Crit Chance, etc, to weapons, but I might be wrong there. No other initial buff comes to mind, where the buff provided will be multiplied by Normal multipliers.

The term in game is "base", not Initial.

5 hours ago, BalaDeSilver said:

"Look, you're gonna spend more time on this Wiki than actually playing the game for, like, a month..."

Depends how fast your read. If you spell/pronounce every word in your thoughts when reading, probably. If you look broadly at the whole section of text and see what it means, it takes much shorter than month.

14 hours ago, BalaDeSilver said:

I'm pretty sure some Duviri's decrees add base damage

9 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

The term in game is "base", not Initial.

Yeah, but then it clashes in meaning to "Final". The point of what I'm asking is to make everything use similar terms in the English language, to make things easier.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

Operative: "Thank the stars. Not a minute too soon."

Yeah, that's a character saying a thing. In literature, characters can say things wrong as a means of characterization. It's not that the author got the language wrong, it's that the character got it "wrong", due to it being a coloquial form of speech used by the character.

If it was a menu or mod, or description that isn't in the form of a characterization, then sure, but that's just characterization.