The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Koumei & the Five Fates - New Player Experience and Quality of Life

[DE]Taylor

17 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Players can now easily see crafted/owned status of items from their Relics when viewed in the Void Relic selection screen and on-hover as mission rewards. This functionality also applies to the Relic Reward selection screen upon successfully cracking a Relic.

this is the greatest change in the history of warframe.

1 hour ago, juhaneon said:

About the relics, do not overlook that some stuff needs for example two barrels instead of one barrel. If done by a simple "is this owned" check in the code, it could say "owned" even if you only have one but need two. Alternative symbol indicating "partial" ownership would be cool, or just no indication at all. You most likely already have it figured out, but just in case, stuff like this can easily slip under the radar!

^^

10 hours ago, Omegaboot said:

You can bind the first dozen gear locations to hotkeys (on PC), and you can put the scanner in one of those. I highly recommend it. However, it'd be good for new (PC) players if this was explained during the first few missions, perhaps.

Fixed that for ya.

As for the Silver Grove...

DE tied a quest to day/night times but provided no way to know when those cycles are, how long they last, nothing. New -- and old, for that matter -- players shouldn't have to look outside the game for the information. Earth really needs a clock.

Edited by (XBOX)RaeOvSunshyn
It's Thursday.

17 hours ago, MathyAdaptationX said:

it would be nice if the boss on earth would be locked behind quest progression instead of being locked behind mr5 for no real reason, would bring more motivation for new players to do main story quests

Also why is the deadlock protocol locked behind mr 4? Why is there a need to lock quests behind it, which new players would have access to in the first place after a week of playing.
It'd be more clear if it was written clearly that they are side quests, would be far more clear for new players

Deadlock Protocol is honestly kind of a rough ride for new players (also storyline it’s technically after New War I think, because Veso nor anyone else ever mentions Parvos. Its just the “the Board” which is what titularly Deadlocked.)

17 hours ago, Leo.doodling said:

For the quest where you scan flowers, I think it would be easier and more expected by the player if that just entailed going up to the plant and pressing a button, like you do in Monster Hunter for example. Going into the menu and selecting the scanner and then scanning the plant feels cumbersome.

I would very much appreciate a "[ X-Hold ] Collect" feature for plants. Majority of the time I play alone at a much slower pace because I'm the type that breaks every crate or opens every locker I see anyway, more or less. Takes even longer when there are plants to scan, and if I didn't bring Oxylus with me, that's an extra 3-5 minutes to mission time on some planets' tile sets with a lot of them around.

19 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

image.png

Dev Workshop: Koumei & the Five Fates - New Player Experience and Quality of Life

Warframe has introduced more than 10 years of systems and mechanics, leaving players with a variety of content to explore. For players who are just starting their Warframe journey, this depth can be overwhelming, causing many to rely on community tutorials and friendly neighborhood Tenno in Q&A Chat. We’ve made efforts to improve new player onboarding over the years, but 2024 has seen a concerted effort on this front especially. 

Recap of New Player Experience Changes Thus Far:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Update 35.1: 
    • Solaris United & Vox Solaris Syndicate Sacrifice Changes, added Dreamer’s Bond Aura Mod, and various Quest improvements.
  • Dante Unbound - Update 35.5:
    • Reduced Quest crafting build times, reworked Railjack Market bundle, improved Mote Amp Acquisition, and various Quest and Junction improvements.
  • Jade Shadows - Update 36:
    • Debt Bond drop rate rework, Voidrig acquisition improvements, added Awakening checkpoints, improved resource and blueprint location descriptions, moved Duviri to Uranus Junction, and various Quest and Junction improvements. 
  • The Lotus Eaters - Update 36.1
    • New player combat improvements, increased Enemy Sense on landscapes, reworked Excavation objective text and waypoints, and various Quest improvements.

Every major update this year has included New Player Experience improvements of some sort, and Koumei & the Five Fates is no different! Let’s take a look at what to expect:

Quest Changes:

• When selecting your Starter Warframe in the Awakening Quest, stats will no longer be displayed by default in on-hover Ability descriptions. These stats have been moved to a separate tab in this on-hover pop-up. 
    • This change is part of an ongoing effort to elevate critical information for new players while reducing extraneous details that could lead to information overload. 
  • Reduced the hacking puzzle speed in Awakening and Vor’s Prize. 
    • Since players are learning how to use Grineer Hacking consoles for the first time, this change allows them to get used to the mechanic without it feeling too punishing or overwhelming. 
  • Incubating your first Kubrow in Howl of the Kubrow will now only take 60 seconds instead of the original 48 hours.
    • Many Quest crafting requirements were reduced across the board with Dante Unbound earlier this year. Now Howl of the Kubrow also meets this standard!

New Player Quality of Life Changes:

• Unowned Mods viewed in the Codex will now show their full descriptions and drop locations.
    • Currently, undiscovered Mods show the Mod’s name and “??????” in lieu of their description. Players who are interested in these Mods would have to go to external sources to learn more about them. With Koumei’s launch, they can read their Description and Drop location in the Codex regardless of ownership. 
  • Selling an unmastered item from your Inventory will now display a pop-up message recommending them to rank it up to Level 30 (or Level 40 for overleveled equipment like the Paracesis) before attempting to sell it!
    • This is another method of educating players on the Mastery Rank system and helping new and old players not miss out on Mastery before selling their gear.
      ddfe5eee4e2a3bd9b65f6cd8b1a408f4.png
  • Unlocking an Ability will now show the Input needed to cast it in the “Ability Unlocked” pop-up!
    • New Tenno who Rank up their Warframes have little context for what “Radial Blind” means without venturing into the Abilities screen, but now they will be directed to test out these unlocks via the input on-screen. This change applies to all players regardless of Mastery Rank, so everyone should benefit from this Quality of Life change while Ranking up new Warframes!
      5343b3909b725920268ce920f6b79797.jpg
  • If a piece of equipment in a player’s loadout has 10+ unused Mod capacity and an unused Mod slot, a warning symbol will appear next to it in the Loadout section of the Navigation screen. This only applies to weapons with 10-30 unused Mod Capacity (or 10-40 for Lich/Sister weapons), and will not appear if you are Mastery Rank 30 or higher.  
    • The goal of this change is to encourage new players to Mod their equipment, and learn about Mod capacity as they continue to level up their equipment. 
      c07ef4b40ef99b775a6031838922bfa2.png
    • Not included in the screenshot above: > MR 5 players will see an “Empty Mods” pop-up and an on-hover tooltip to explain the reason for this icon. 
  • Open Landscape Maps now feature a Legend for the Advanced Map view and new icons for the Extraction Points (ie. Cetus, Fortuna, and Necralisk).
    • Open Landscapes operate differently from normal Warframe missions, which can be hard for new players to grasp at first. Saya’s Vigil has received changes to reinforce the “Enter and Exit through the Cetus Doors” mechanic, and this addition expands upon that goal. 
      23957d871a0cee60f1bf9085b54b9b4d.jpg
  • Fish resource descriptions have been updated to indicate where players can find the Fish that the resource is earned from. Fish descriptions (accessed via Chat Linking) have also been updated to list relevant information to secure the catch. 
  • Added illustrative diagrams to modding tips in the Upgrade and Mod menus, and updated these tips to offer relevant information for players learning about Modding.  

General Quality of Life Changes:

In addition to our New Player Experience changes, Koumei brings a bevy of general improvements that apply to all Tenno!

1 - Void Relics now display owned and crafted status of their possible rewards! 

ea955c9a1e913a9b789f0b1ce61c48d1.png

Players can now easily see crafted/owned status of items from their Relics when viewed in the Void Relic selection screen and on-hover as mission rewards. This functionality also applies to the Relic Reward selection screen upon successfully cracking a Relic.

2 - Tenno can now favorite equipment in their Arsenal!

d315ba1320c9f904477392b76a5114a8.png

When browsing equipment in your Arsenal, you now have the option to “Favorite” Warframes, Weapons, Cosmetics, and more. Favorited Equipment appear at the top of the list when equipping items in your Arsenal, ensuring you always know right where to find them. Never lose track of that one Revenant Prime that you love more than the others ever again!

3 - The Fusion screen has received a refresh to simplify UI elements and bring the fused Mod to the forefront.

cb51585342426d5658daf14306d8be31.png

Players can now also Fuse any non-max rank Mods via the Upgrade Screen. Doing so brings up the same Fusion menu to streamline any changes you make to your builds.

bbcbd5eace14bbf06c05389a3a0c27ea.png

4 - Settings that are not set to Default are now marked with a diamond indicator in the Settings menu.

c4bfe1881bfb7f97bbb1be72d15f1052.jpg

If you want to reset that particular setting to Default, you can interact with that indicator to do so! Also, the “Reset to Defaults” option in the Settings menu will now only apply defaults to the current Settings tab.

5 - Purchasing Arcanes from a Vendor now displays how many Arcanes you own per rank.

92ce2847af494f45c2704458fcab0177.png

Each filled diamond icon represents one rank! Also added the rank UI element to Arcanes in the Vendor wares to more clearly indicate that they are unranked. 

Looking Forward:

If you’ve offered advice to new players, asked questions about what to do next in-game, shared feedback in our Forums / Reddit, or even streamed your first foray into Warframe — you have helped us further refine our New Player Experience. There is still room for improvement, so here’s a look at just some of the changes we’re working on that won’t make it in for Koumei:

• Improving Quests menu in the Codex to clearly distinguish Story, Warframe, and Side Quests. 
  • Adding small narrative introductions to planets and their Assassination targets as players move through the Star Chart.
  • Further adjustments to Awakening, Vor’s Prize, and other early-game Quests.
  • Curating our loading screen tips to player progression. 
    • Ex: Players during Vor’s Prize will only see tips focused on beginner controls and mechanics. 

This is only a small snippet of what our team has been discussing, but we don’t want to over-promise! Should you wish to provide us with feedback on how to improve our New Player Experience, we’ve added a dedicated “New Player Experience” subforum to our Feedback forums: 

https://forums.warframe.com/forum/1994-new-player-experience/

Thanks for reading, Tenno! :community:

Are we gonna get news masks from namak in cetus?

Gigantic W for QoL.

19 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Unlocking an Ability will now show the Input needed to cast it in the “Ability Unlocked” pop-up!

• New Tenno who Rank up their Warframes have little context for what “Radial Blind” means without venturing into the Abilities screen, but now they will be directed to test out these unlocks via the input on-screen. This change applies to all players regardless of Mastery Rank, so everyone should benefit from this Quality of Life change while Ranking up new Warframes!
    5343b3909b725920268ce920f6b79797.jpg

Maybe for this one, you'd rather position the "Press 2" under the ability name, that way the ability name stays in the middle. That colon is not necessary.

8 hours ago, Monolake said:

Frame craft time is terrible and while 12 or 24 hr is a decent compromise and hook making people want to play the next day, 4 day wait is really screaming "dont come back for the next few days" - so beginners who are just trying the game might as well never return.

"But its f2p and we want people to spend plat on rushing!" - DE.   New players just trying out the game 99% are not spending money on it  yet, the goal so to hook them and get them invested. So you can give greatly reduced craft time for just the beginner frames, maybe just say 3 free "rush" options players can use.

At least the slot situation is better now, thanks to Nightwave giving slots and NW seasons changing quicker now.

Agreed, however Nightwave runs the issue of things like "kill 500 enemies with necramech" or "kill exploiter orb" which is incredibly hard to achieve for new players and sometimes makes you wonder if its intended.

personally id increase the starter storage space for weapons to be atleast 20-30 and warframes to be 5, if I could choose id remove the limit all together with bigger plat purchase of like 40-50p.

18 hours ago, Flaezon said:

There is a suggestion that has been around in the forums and other websites about allowing players to install multiple polarities, each one costing a forma. (Image edited, not actually in game footage)

un58qDq.png

If i had to forma every weapon even 8 times to get this option i wouldnt be glad to see this thing added :D But yeah an universal forma would be the most effectivy thing.

One big QOL I would like to see is thr removal of the weekly rotation of incarnon adapters in the circuit, it is a big feels bad moment when you log on wanting a weapon adaptor from week C on only to find out it's week E and you'll have to wait a month for C to come back, either offer all adaptors to work toward a week or when we select our rewards give us like an incanon token we can turn into cavalero for any adaptor. With either you can keep the two adaptors per week setup but can choose any weapon adaptor regardless of the week.

Would be nice to have an overall foundry timer rework. 3 days is a ridiculous amount of time to wait on a warframe to build, especially on top of how long it takes the warframe parts themselves, and the amount of time it'd take to farm the resources for those part blueprints if, say, your argon's all decayed. It needs to be cut down by at least half, and with the 24hr timer on the part blueprints, I can assure you that it's still going to be a long while for the warframe to get made. It's not going to break the game, and I think everyone, even the oldest veteran players, would sigh in relief. New players will be more inclined to stay, too.

I also think that new players should get one more warframe slot than current, two more weapons slots, and the companion slots can stay the same, since new players don't get companions until Taxon. I myself don't even want more slots, I just think that new players would benefit from having a tad more space to work with.

• Like 1

Are there any plans on making "trophy weapons boards", kinda liek the fish trophies but made for a tenno's favorite weapons? Or even cooler yer, a small platform that can showcase a weapon slowly rotating around, like a bigger version of the voidplume ornaments that you buy from Archimedean Yonta. 

• Like 1

Great changes as usual, but I agree with some of the people here in that you can't talk about the new player experience without addressing starting wf/weapon slots and the crafting times for early warframes (Warframes in particular. Weapons are fine). 84 hours of wait is absolutely ridiculous for a new player who doesn't have a foundry full to the brim of stuff being crafted, and waiting those days only to be greeted with "hey, gotta spend premium currency to use the thing you waited over three days for" gives all the worst impressions about this game's monetization to the people who need to have the best impressions of it.

I know DE is a company and that maintaining the game is not free, but I also know that these two things are essentially the last remaining instant deal-breakers for new players. I hope it's reasonably possible to address them eventually.

22 hours ago, tomwork27 said:

these are really nice changes but they don't address the 2 biggest complaints, slots and craft times

what about giving new players 5 warframe slots and 10 weapon slots by default? it's not much anyway and that's the issue most of my friends have had with the game. they're not gonna buy plat or be smart with their starter plat until later

and craft times are too long. make a new item that autocompletes a build and costs the same amount of plat as the rush feature in the foundry and then give new players like 5 of them for free. this is kind of a bandaid solution anyway but it would be better than nothing, having limited time to play then seeing you need to wait 3 days to even try your new warframe really sucks

This 100%. I've had to sell miscellaneous prime blueprints to scrounge some plat together for warframe and weapons slots. I've currently got 2 more warframes ready to claim at my foundry and no slots for them. I'm hoping for a plat coupon to come along as a daily tribute.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SovlSvcker said:

While we're on the topic of NPE, Kuva Liches and Sisters of Pavros really need a better introduction. They inherently don't make much sense to new players in my opinion, and I think they could benefit from having a streamlined version of the process to kill/capture them as optional quests in the codex. They make perfect sense once you've done one, so I think new players would benefit a lot from that. 

Imagine my surprise after I decided to do the first node on the Kuva Fortress and ended up with a lich taking over Earth lol. I'm only MR8, and there are certain types of missions at that higher difficulty level that I can't solo if someone doesn't end up matchmaking into it.

• Like 1

if y'all really want to give us some serious QoL then let us automate the Foundry to a degree

even with the mobile companion app it's just annoying and inconvenient having to check in regularly for stuff that may commonly be crafted "in bulk", like Forma and Specters. certain things cant even be crafted from the mobile app at all, which is particularly bothersome with those Warframe Specters and their 8 hour crafting time. or resources that you need to make multiple batches of, but they have a 1 minute crafting time so you kinda just have to sit there and twiddle your thumbs for a while

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Valfaun said:

if y'all really want to give us some serious QoL then let us automate the Foundry to a degree

even with the mobile companion app it's just annoying and inconvenient having to check in regularly for stuff that may commonly be crafted "in bulk", like Forma and Specters. certain things cant even be crafted from the mobile app at all, which is particularly bothersome with those Warframe Specters and their 8 hour crafting time. or resources that you need to make multiple batches of, but they have a 1 minute crafting time so you kinda just have to sit there and twiddle your thumbs for a while

This right here. I feel like it shouldn't be too much to ask to craft 15 ciphers, even if you bump up the total crafting time to something like 30 minutes; or 5 genetic templates, 4 formas, etc., etc.

On 2024-09-18 at 1:20 PM, No.Brainer.Prime said:

Can we have something that allows us do hide whole color palettes or disable them ? most cases i use 4 diffrent ones.

Maybe be able to favorite some pallets we enjoy for quicker access?

Loving the Favorite function, and was curious if it would be possible to add that favorite system to void relics too? Warframe has a lot of different relics nowadays, and even the search function is getting tricky to use when you have only a few seconds in an endless void fissure mission. Being able to "mark/favorite" the relics you want to focus on before your runs would be extremely helpful.

-Jayron

Hi, if possible to have a way to know the equipped arcanes on arcane interface ? (same as mods) when having multiple of the same ones there is no way to know which one is equipped. it make it hard specially for trading and then need to go through everything to make sure that i have my arcane equipped, thanks