Koumei & the Five Fates: Known Issues ×

Koumei, Shrine Defense speed buff

Simulator Sickness is a significant problem for a lot of gamers.
And with Koumei & The Five Fates there is another unavoidable speed buff, in the Shrine Defense mission.
Players that get simulator sickness are being squeezed out of game content bit by bit.

- Volt speed buff can be rolled out of but when Volt players spam speed, its either spend the whole mission rolling out of their speed buffs (because thats all i end up doing) or abort mission and go solo.
- Wisp speed buffs can't always be avoided and they can't be rolled out of.
- Protea's 4th skill is to be avoided, so why bother using the frame.
- Styanax's 4th skill is also a problem for aggravating simulator sickness.
- using Gauss is a nope too.
- speed buffs provided in missions such as Disruption are also a problem.
- a recent tweak to Warframe unfortunately has made normal warframe movement faster than a walk into a borderline aggravation to simulator sickness - so now i either walk or bullet jump, which is a backward step in warframe movement.
- and with Koumei update, speed buffs can be provided whether we want them or not in Koumei Fate Dream Shrine Defense.
I'm not looking forward to farming Koumei or anything else available with the update any more :(

I can use Bunny in The First Descendant without issue. She is a speed 'frame' so the speed isn't the problem, its the manner in which a Warframe speed buff effects the animation of the warframe that's a problem.
I can't see DE changing how a speed animation is implemented on Warframes but it would be appreciated by everyone that's effected by Simulator Sickness, which isn't that small a number - its not a huge number but its significant - a lot of players don't bother saying anything about it, and others just dump the game because of it.

It would be wonderful if players were provided with an option to ignore speed buffs - this is something players have been asking for, for many years.
This is one 'disability' that DE can make a significant and positive impact on and yet it seems to be its ignored.

• Like 1

not to dismiss the issue, just as a observation: warframe seems like a weird choice for people who experience motion sickness - it's a very fast paced shooter game with freedom of movement and speed as it's big draw, the only way how it could be worse for you guys would be ego perspective, i imagine.

you mention sped up animation as your specific issue, have you tried hovering frames? those don't change much animationwise

hugely in favor of the opt-out feature of speed buffs, even apart from motion sickness, a few frames can get really screwed when receiving unexpected ( or expected) speed boosts. a way to toggle it per frame basis like with tap/ hold would be sweet

Rather than ignore speed buffs, I would prefer "limit your maximum speed to this value" option in the arsenal. Because I do not mind some buffs for some occasions, but hitting walls on every step is really annoying.

14 minutes ago, Rhagius said:

not to dismiss the issue, just as a observation: warframe seems like a weird choice for people who experience motion sickness - it's a very fast paced shooter game with freedom of movement and speed as it's big draw, the only way how it could be worse for you guys would be ego perspective, i imagine.

you mention sped up animation as your specific issue, have you tried hovering frames? those don't change much animationwise

hugely in favor of the opt-out feature of speed buffs, even apart from motion sickness, a few frames can get really screwed when receiving unexpected ( or expected) speed boosts. a way to toggle it per frame basis like with tap/ hold would be sweet

Been playing Warframe for about 7 years and have built up a tolerance to simulator sickness (generally) which is why i can play Warframe at all.
That the game is fast paced is not a problem. How movement through the game effects perspective can be a problem. Motion sickness (which is what Simulator Sickness is) is about perception, perspective, how movement on screen contradicts what we physically experience. Fast paced movies don't make us feel ill because of how the movement we see on screen doesn't contradict what we feel.
A while back DE did a story (can't think of the right word) on how they helped people with disabilities get into gaming by helping provide them with tools that allowed them to compensate for their disabilities - which was great.
Well, simulator sickness isn't something that game devs should ignore either. That would be like expecting children not to get car sick, imo.

Hovering frames?
You mean Wisp, Dante, Jade, Caliban?
Makes no difference. Its not movement on its own that's a problem, its how perspective is effected.
If put Eagle Eye exilus mod on Rubico Prime and aim the rifle, this is a change in perspective. Try spamming aim and see how that can make a difference (as an example).
When using Styanax's 4th skill, our view is moved back and forth in similar way to spamming aim on sniper rifle. Its a problem.