Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Varytos: Gravity-Based Frame

Pretzellis

Here's my contribution to one of the many unused themes for new warframes: the theme of gravity.  

NOTE:  EVERY number on this page is a placeholder.  I'm very bad at statweaving, so they're just approximations based on certain principles I have envisioned and the synergies I see myself with this frame.  PLEASE suggest better numbers if you can (after reading his abilities, of course :P) 

Varytos -- Male Gravity Frame

"Created with the lifeblood of an ancient breakthrough which brought Old Earth to the Solar System and beyond, Varytos combines devastating might and careful finesse with his gravity-manipulating abilities.  Friend and foe alike have learned to respect the often-destructive utility this Warframe brings to the battlefield."     

Stats

Health: 100 (300 at rank 30)

Shields: 125 (375 at rank 30)

Energy: 150 (225 at rank 30)

Armour: 75

Sprint Speed: 1.0

Polarities: [ability] 4x; [defense] 1x; [tactical] 1x

Aura Polarity: [tactical] 

Varytos is a somewhat tanky frame who relies more than most on his abilities, which are focused primarily on crowd-control and team-wide utility bonuses.  Left unchecked, however, Varytos' abilities can indirectly deal surprising amounts of damage.  

Abilities

[1]:  Mass Dilation -

"Varytos isolates the gravitational field around an enemy, eliminating it if they stand on the ground or multiplying it a thousandfold if they are in the air." 

Cost: 25 Energy

If targeted on an ground-based enemy, Mass Dilation will lessen gravity on it and the enemy (with its nearby allies) will begin to float helplessly.  If targeted on an air-based or otherwise-floating enemy, Mass Dilation will increase gravity around it and the enemy (with its nearby allies) will plummet to the ground and suffer damage.  

AFFECTED BY: Power Duration (increased floating time), Power Strength (increased falling damage), and Power Range (increased area of effect on cast)    

NOTES:

- This ability clearly synergizes with itself.  With it, Varytos can levitate small groups of enemies and then send them falling to their doom.  However, it stands to mention that doing so will be energy inefficient if it isn't used on enough enemies per cast.      

- Mass Dilation will cause more damage to enemies who have fallen from greater heights.

- (fun incoming) Shooting enemies in the air will change their trajectory.  Also, falling enemies can hit other floating/ground-based enemies, dealing damage to them as well.  Think about that.   

[2]:  Epicentre -

Cost: 75 Energy

"Varytos localizes and intensifies his weight and the weight on his weapons, slowing himself down but massively increasing his disruption in combat."

This ability slows Varytos' movement speed and lowers his jump height considerably, but in return allows him to perform insanely disruptive things while fighting enemies with combat manoeuvres or with melee attacks.  The buffs it gives extend from simple damage increases to shockwaves with every step.  To explain fully, this ability will:

+ Buff melee jump attacks considerably (damage, radius) and cause them to always knock targets down.

+ Cause the momentum of heavy weapon quick attacks to always knock targets down; increases their damage.

+ Cause the momentum of light weapon quick attacks to always stagger targets; increases their damage.

+ Cause the projectiles of ranged weapons to have increased damage and induce stagger on enemies.  If the weapon is a bolt-type weapon, it will cause knockdown instead.  

+ Allow Varytos to be immune to knockdowns.

+ Increase falling speed (Heavy Impact anyone?)

+ Allow Varytos to induce shockwaves with every step he takes and every time he hits the ground.  These shockwaves will extend in a radius around him, staggering enemies and dealing damage.

+ Varytos makes projectiles fall to the ground around him, which negates ranged damage.   

- Reduce movement speed considerably (to probably about 30% of original speed at max rank).

- Reduce jump height (again, to about 30% of original height).

- Reduce all forms of attack speed and charge speed (ranged and melee weapons).  Note that the damage increase and stagger/knockdown effect on all weapons will make up for this decrease. 

- Disable wall-running and dive-rolling (Think of him as a boulder in this state.  Boulders don't do those things.  They just crush stuff).  Varytos will use a vertical-fall animation every time he lands (instead of dive-rolling)

Overall, this is primarily a support ability.  HOWEVER, it is extremely obvious that with the right kind of synergy and weapons, Epicentre can indeed be optimized for damage.  This is intended.    

AFFECTED BY:  Power Duration (obvious) and Power Strength (all damage values/damage increase ratios)

[3]:  Destabilize -

Cost: 50 energy 

"A pulse of energy imbues the weapons of nearby allies, causing them to lessen the weight and strength of enemies with each strike."

Destabilize is a team buff which causes allied bullets, blades or what-have-you to gradually decrease the damage output of the enemies they strike.  If the enemy dies or the damage it takes reaches a certain threshold,  its weight will lessen enough for it to begin floating.  The aspects of floating enemies are explained in the description of [1]: Mass Dilation.            

AFFECTED BY:  Power Duration (increased duration of buff) and Power Strength (lowers damage threshold for floating)

NOTES:  

- Synergizes with Mass Dilation.  Let the bodies hit the floor. (kill me)

[4]:  Null Vector -

Cost: 100 Energy

"Varytos gravitizes every surface available and focuses on a single target, causing a buildup of potential energies that will eventually rip it apart."      

This ability affects an enemy with a powerful gravitational field that is localized at every surface in the room (i.e. from every direction).  For a brief period, the enemy stops moving or attacking and floats to an area of the room that is the focal point of all gravitational forces.  After that, it is dealt tremendous damage over time.  If it dies, it is ripped apart into the surfaces that were affecting it.  Each part of the dead enemy can clash with other enemies, dealing heavy impact damage to each.

AFFECTED BY:  Power Duration (increased time floating/taking damage), and  Power Strength (increased damage over time and increased explosion damage)  

NOTES:  

- In essence, this ability causes single targets to be pulled apart (explode), dealing collateral damage in the process.  

- If the enemy does not die from the damage or is not killed by any other source of damage over the duration, it will float for a moment and then fall to the ground (or be Mass Dilated into the ground >:D).

- With regard to Nova's Molecular Prime, the enemy WILL explode upon death, but it parts will still be ejected for the sake of the ability.       

- Just like every ultimate which is means for crowds of enemies, this will need to be balanced for bosses.

There's my draft!  Tell me what you guys think.

Edited by -CM-MetaMeta

I for one like it. It sounds Interesting, and new. Only problem(s) I can see that I would have with him are these:

1: Epicenter seems like you could die very, very easily if used in a high level mission with enemies pumping out insane amounts of damage onto you and your frame. It's almost like a suicide button. The only way I could see to compensate for this is not nerf your speed as much when it is cast, or cause some kind of armor effect on yourself, like a weaker version of Iron Skin.

2: Null Vector seems like a boss only ability, meaning that one with any sense would only cast it on a boss.Now, that aside it is a great ability, but for people who farm defense and survival Varytos's ult would be next to useless for them.

Those are the only problems I see with him. He seems very cool :D In reply to James, his ult is what mags wishes it was.

kinda off topic but if it isnt too much trouble could you look at my frame concept I put up a while ago? it didnt get much attention, but im spreading it around to see if i can find people who like it or can critique it in any way. Thanks! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/140755-a-warframe-idea-not-sure-where-to-put-this-feel-free-to-move-it/#entry1671898

I for one like it. It sounds Interesting, and new. Only problem(s) I can see that I would have with him are these:

1: Epicenter seems like you could die very, very easily if used in a high level mission with enemies pumping out insane amounts of damage onto you and your frame. It's almost like a suicide button. The only way I could see to compensate for this is not nerf your speed as much when it is cast, or cause some kind of armor effect on yourself, like a weaker version of Iron Skin.

2: Null Vector seems like a boss only ability, meaning that one with any sense would only cast it on a boss.Now, that aside it is a great ability, but for people who farm defense and survival Varytos's ult would be next to useless for them.

Those are the only problems I see with him. He seems very cool :D In reply to James, his ult is what mags wishes it was.

kinda off topic but if it isnt too much trouble could you look at my frame concept I put up a while ago? it didnt get much attention, but im spreading it around to see if i can find people who like it or can critique it in any way. Thanks! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/140755-a-warframe-idea-not-sure-where-to-put-this-feel-free-to-move-it/#entry1671898

Thanks a ton for the constructive feedback.

I think you're right about Epicentre -- I'd need tankiness built into it if I was to make it reduce speed as well.  I'll try to keep that in consideration if I tweak it.  

As for Null Vector, Varytos is practically turning an enemy into a living bomb which can severely damage other enemies; with that, it'd be quite useful in survival/defense missions or any place you have an enemy to use as a bomb.  With regards to bosses -- yes, it has potent single-target damage, but so does Valkyr's Rip Line.  It's damage is not meant to kill bosses; it's only meant to kill enemies which explode after dying.  The stasis effect in my eyes would only happen on bosses if Vauban's Bastille or Mag's Crush works on them (I'm not sure if it does).  It's just another ability which will need to be balanced for bosses.  No big deal, I think.

Thanks again for the feedback!

EDIT:  Incorporated a few changes based on said feedback :D

Edited by -CM-MetaMeta

As for Null Vector, Varytos is practically turning an enemy into a living bomb which can severely damage other enemies; with that, it'd be quite useful in survival/defense missions or any place you have an enemy to use as a bomb.  With regards to bosses -- yes, it has potent single-target damage, but so does Valkyr's Rip Line.  It's damage not meant to kill bosses; it's only meant to kill enemies which explode after dying.  The stasis effect in my eyes would only happen on bosses if Vauban's Bastille or Mag's Crush works on them (I'm not sure if it does).  It's just another ability which will need to be balanced for bosses.  No big deal, I think.

Ahh I understand now, I guess it didn't click how much damage the flying body parts did until you pointed it out. Now that i see that I can see the carnage that would create in a small room or hallway that was filled with enemies.