Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Damage 3.0 Massive Oversight

Blood3vil991

it use to be the case that you would take a boltor to a grineer fight because to it stripped armor fast because of its puncture damage but now since Damage 3.0 puncture no longer effects grineer like it use to it effects Corpas now, which to me makes zero sense because impact has killed corpas since 1.0 "it does full damage to Corpus Crewmens' heads, and does not have any multiplier against Grineer"

So they simplified the all different Health, Armor, and Shield types which is great i dont mind that,

Cloned Flesh and Machinery/robotic = Health
Ferrite Armor and Alloy Armor = Armor
Shield and Proto Shield = Shield

Now it use to be the case that you take puncture and Corrosive to grineer because you get bonus damage to Ferrite Armor and Alloy Armor and no shields and that impact did no bonus damage to grineer

and take Impact and magnetic to Corpas because they had shields as impact did bonus damage to Shield and Proto Shield and corpas had no armor to remove

you would think with the simplified version of these stats, impact would still effect Shields on corpas and puncture to effect Armor on grineer but no its in reverse for some odd reason, i simply dont see any logical reason these are reversed at all.

it made sense from a real world perspective also to puncture armor, armor is designed to take an impact  but is less effective if you try to puncture it with the tip of a sword for example

big impacts to shields could knock the shields down or break them, shiled was used to stop arrows, as they are made to puncture the enemy

thats just my thoughts on it.

Edited by Blood3vil991
  • Like 1

They really should just take out damage types by this point; we’ve already got faction mods to build for different factions, and now that there’s no intermingling of resistances and weaknesses within the one mission, it’s not like the mid-mission combat would be any different since we hit the enemies all the same

• Like 1

Just now, Blood3vil991 said:

yeah i feel like the new 3.0 system is too simple now, its no longer fun to mess around with different builds based on all the resistances and weaknesses of each enemy

Mm. Players complained that it was too complicated, whereas the thing that was complicating it so much was the players themselves as they dropped esoteric convoluted BS on each other, which was fun in moderation but certainly not required just to play the game when all you needed was Simaris’ scanner and a few minutes learning some basics

The simplification means they don’t need to learn much of anything, so I say go a step further and strip out the need to do anything as well by removing damage types entirely, making it so that the game matches the players who barely think about how they build and what they’re fighting

9 minutes ago, Blood3vil991 said:

yeah i feel like the new 3.0 system is too simple now, its no longer fun to mess around with different builds based on all the resistances and weaknesses of each enemy use to have

Man, I miss making roles for my gear. I haven’t played since the change, been wanting to get back in, but knowing how much more basic everything is now due to a fundamental change that frankly most players didn’t care about and don’t care about now; that makes it hard to get inspired to build

Physical never actually stripped armour as far as I remember, that was always Corrosive and then Heat gained that function later.

It used to be that Puncture did do more damage to armour, but now it's just reversed, so it's just a matter of bringing something else equal to the Boltor but impact-based. There's no oversight there, you're just not used to the change yet.

I'm pretty sure the logic behind that is if you have a heavily armoured target that you can't penetrate with a bullet, you can still hurt them with the shockwaves of the actual impact. Shields are imaginary but I suppose they're meant to be weaker to pin-point projectiles, hence gaining the Puncture weakness.

Edited by Pakaku

9 hours ago, Blood3vil991 said:

it made sense from a real world perspective also to puncture armor, armor is designed to take an impact  but is less effective if you try to puncture it with the tip of a sword for example

The reverse is true, the first thing a piece of armor should protect you from is piercing from a blade, arrow or these days bullets so DE's change makes sense realistically. It can prevent the piercing but the wearer will still feel a good amount of the impact.