Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Add Cyberpunk City Elements

Grimwing

So, I really like this game, but the level tiles are lacking one major element in my opinion.

This element would be some "futuristic city at night" setting, to make the levels look more interesting than simple mining spaceships (which is cool in itself, and they should stay), but we need something else too, something more interesting and "dynamic".

Imagine maps involving big futuristic cities or city/living quarter parts with lots of flashing neon banners, huge buildings, a place that would make the map a lot more "living". Like the cities in the game Messiah for example.

So here are some pictures what I'm talking about:

cyberpunk_city.jpg

original.jpg

1500x831_5979_Endless_Streets_2d_sci_fi_cyberpunk_city_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Opinions?

Edited by Grimwing

Problem with cyberpunk setting is that it require a thriving society(perhaps on the edge of their downfall, but we haven't seen that yet), and that our protagonist is a part of that society, showing us the complex facets of that society through their interaction with the world in relation with technology, showing how technology change them. It often have an opressive government, or if not, an opressive authority that have great influece. Cyberpunk is more than just city lights, it is also the story driving the game. Think of Deus ex, which is a prime example of cyber punk.

In warframe, we don't have that.

For societies,Orokin is gone. Grineer empire is already in their last days. Corpus are fanatics worshipping machines. Tennos as a society is no more, they are now just groups of space ninja following the order of a "Lotus". There wouldn't be a lot of cities-like placesleft in the solar system. The two faction that perhaps capable of makng cities, Grinneer and Corpus, wouldn't have a cyber-punk feel to it.

Grineers woud look more like industrial-punk, gritty, dark, lots of low-tech machines, rampant pollution. Their society is not very complex, I would assume, as they are all clones, which make them all the same.

Corpus are techno-fanatics who worship technology, which means their cities would likely look like hi-tech sci-fi,with sleek, bright, and alien architecture. We could see someting like churches of technology full of worshippers praying and giving praise to some technological being,perhaps an AI. Their society would be a littlemore complex, but their indoctrination means there won't be much diversity in their soiety either.

Although i DO think that this would make this world LOADS more interesting then just a generic war. It would give a thousand layers of depts and variations to an otherwise meaninless conflict of mindless characters. I personally kind of hate the fact that we're currently lacking anything that is not combat-oriented, though i understand this focus as of right now in a closed beta phase, i REALLY hope to see more in-depth character and world development.

I love my game with mindless explosions, but i love them more when they have compelling stories behind. Shooting Orks is fun, but shooting them "For the Emperor" is MORE fun and so with luck, the Corpus will have more of an evolved society of devotees to spreading tech to all, the Grineer might live under military dictatorship with rebelions exploding everywhere and maybe the infested will evolve into a hive-mind of essential consumption and survival. Each Tenno could have it's own master, following a philosophy of enlightment trough training and combat perfection and all that good stuff. It would create a possibility of a city to interact with civilians, or merchants and would make the game feel alive instead of just a war platform.

P.S.: The Developers DID talk about more factions being added later on, what's stoping them to enlarge their world?

Edited by ReiganCross

What "Right" direction is that? The Tenno are a race constantly on the run; they are fleeing, using hit-and-run tactics on their enemies to harass them because it's the only way they can survive long enough to maybe remake a future for themselves. Just whacking a city into it and saying "whoop, there it is, because it's right" defeats the whole understanding of the lore, at present. Lacking though it is, if there were a small city for the Tenno, it would be destroyed by the Grineer and Corpus.

I really don't see this setting fit anywhere in the current Sol system. I like it but it just doesn't fit.

Sol system in Warframe is a post apocalyptic-dystopian setting. We have clone army, machine worshipper, space zombies, and alien ninja. Cyberpunk setting requires an extremely multicultural society and most of the story happen inside such society. If the Tenno is going to fit in this society they would be hired killers or ethnic extreme anti-government group.

In the end, we need more lore to justify what should be added to the game.

DE GIMME MORE LOREEEEEE.

Guys, I think you missed my main point. :)

Maybe I've put it wrong, and the emphasis is not on "cyberpunk" , but on a more living environment after corridors and stone walls.

I find dark futuristic city settings EXTREMELY atmospheric, I thought I'm not the only one with this. :)

And I don't think thinking about extending the lore in this direction would be too hard in closed beta. Personally I would like to see some more life in the setting.

Guys, I think you missed my main point. :)

Maybe I've put it wrong, and the emphasis is not on "cyberpunk" , but on a more living environment after corridors and stone walls.

I find dark futuristic city settings EXTREMELY atmospheric, I thought I'm not the only one with this. :)

And I don't think thinking about extending the lore in this direction would be too hard in closed beta. Personally I would like to see some more life in the setting.

Then your OP should be changed to reflect your point, also the name of the topic is misleading.

The setting of dark, noir, futuristic city like Bladerunner is a good idea. Perhaps as a Grineer outpost/city where we might actually see those that aren't military.

I don't think grineer would have a non-militaristic city.They are clones made to fight. Everything about them will be reflecting that.

The corpus, on the other hand, is more possible. While they are machine worshipper, they are also traders. A trading city would make sense to them. We might see a buzzing centre of commerce run by the corpus.Though, as with their ship and technology designs, It is ikely to be a bright and shiny evironment with cold hard steel and glowing energy lines.

I don't think grineer would have a non-militaristic city.They are clones made to fight. Everything about them will be reflecting that.

The corpus, on the other hand, is more possible. While they are machine worshipper, they are also traders. A trading city would make sense to them. We might see a buzzing centre of commerce run by the corpus.Though, as with their ship and technology designs, It is ikely to be a bright and shiny evironment with cold hard steel and glowing energy lines.

Maybe not ALL of them are Clones?... Maybe there are some regular Grineer left?... Maybe some have evolved into the point of rebelion against the military dictatorship imposed by their councils and generals?... Maybe they do have an entire populace and just use their clones to make war, while the populace fabricate the weaponry necessary for them to keep fighting (Someone has to man the machines making the bullets, after all.)

Edited by ReiganCross

Maybe not ALL of them are Clones?... Maybe there are some Corpus left?... Maybe some have evolved into the point of rebelion against the military dictatorship imposed by their councils and generals?... Maybe they do have an entire populace and just use their clones to make war, while the populace fabricate the weaponry necessary for them to keep fighting (Someone has to man the machines making the bullets, after all.)

With what we learn from the bosses, such as Vey Hek who is a politician that use his political power to arrange muders on his political opponents, I kind of have a feeling they use clones for everything, aside the very top circles of goverment, as with the "Ruling sisters" we heard about.

With what we learn from the bosses, such as Vey Hek who is a politician that use his political power to arrange muders on his political opponents, I kind of have a feeling they use clones for everything, aside the very top circles of goverment, as with the "Ruling sisters" we heard about.

And all of that is possibility. They didn't said what yet but they did said something about opening even MORE factions, so we can get more and more lore added which could lead to a deep storyline.

I think the Grineer have a few 'perfects' left at the top of their society. They also have different quality of clones available to use for each rank. It's entirely possible that some of the clone lines might have been used for non-military purpose. Some of them must be doing desk jobs and paper pushing for the empire. :D

I think the Grineer have a few 'perfects' left at the top of their society. They also have different quality of clones available to use for each rank. It's entirely possible that some of the clone lines might have been used for non-military purpose. Some of them must be doing desk jobs and paper pushing for the empire. :D

Yep that is possible source for an atmospheric city level. I personally think what we will mostlikely see if they do a city focused level it's going ot be orented around a towering building with plenty of windows over looking a populated city. The reason I say this is that having something in the streets maybe to much for some lower end computers.

Yep that is possible source for an atmospheric city level. I personally think what we will mostlikely see if they do a city focused level it's going ot be orented around a towering building with plenty of windows over looking a populated city. The reason I say this is that having something in the streets maybe to much for some lower end computers.

That would be pretty much awesome already. Fighting in a huge tower where things actually DO happen.

That would be pretty much awesome already. Fighting in a huge tower where things actually DO happen.

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!! :) Yes!

It doesn't matter whether we see non-military personnel or not (anyway, there have to be some guys making the clones afterall, or it could be purely Corpus, but it doesn't matter). The emphasis is on the SETTING itself. It would be ultra cool to see in the game what you guys just described. I like the idea of this tower in the middle of a giant futuristic city.

What matters for me is when I look out of the gigantic windows/glass walls of the tower, I see a living-breathing, industrial/high-tech sci-fi city at night, illuminated by a thousand lights, flashing neons.

It would be so living, so fantastic, so atmospheric!

Edited by Grimwing

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!! :) Yes!

It doesn't matter whether we see non-military personnel or not (anyway, there have to be some guys making the clones afterall, or it could be purely Corpus, but it doesn't matter). The emphasis is on the SETTING itself. It would be ultra cool to see in the game what you guys just described. I like the idea of this tower in the middle of a giant futuristic city.

What matters for me is when I look out of the gigantic windows/glass walls of the tower, I see a living-breathing, industrial/high-tech sci-fi city at night, illuminated by a thousand lights, flashing neons.

It would be so living, so fantastic, so atmospheric!

I agree the S#&$ out of this guy!

hmm, so basically, what you meant is just that you want more lively environment and not dead-space-ish feeling? Could have said that in beginning. =p

And well I am still hoping forthem to add a nexus social hubs where players can gather and do stuff before missions, which could very well a mini city/spacestation kinda thing.

You wont fight inside of the tower. Actually the tower is the main base of the tennos. I think they will add a city inside so you can bring the story to the players =)